4.0 questions, I searched

As much as the STR supercharge costs, and all the misc parts, i'd probably just look at getting a complete STR engine and using it as a parts mule. If you can get the electronics to swap and it mounts the same, just slide it in.

350hp is plenty to move the LS and have some real fun. Centason is who you are talking about. Not sure what the status of that project is.

And before I forget, what is the status of the paddle shifters? Did you complete and I missed the pics?

As a suggestion... Try to "make nice" with a ford parts manager at a local dealrship, and see if he can get you some sort of blueprint for the engine. Same with Jaguar. My concern would be that the deck height of both blocks are the same, and all dimensions of the heads are the same. If not, you may have a problem getting the intake to mate up. Beyond that, the only other issues I see, are gettting the ECM to recognize the supercharger, and replacing all sensors, (with the proper valued ones), that again, the LS ECM will "play nice" with. Also, I think I read somewhere, that since the TB is on the back of the Jag intake, you may have issues with the LS firewall.

As a suggestion... Try to "make nice" with a ford parts manager at a local dealrship, and see if he can get you some sort of blueprint for the engine. Same with Jaguar. My concern would be that the deck height of both blocks are the same, and all dimensions of the heads are the same. If not, you may have a problem getting the intake to mate up. Beyond that, the only other issues I see, are gettting the ECM to recognize the supercharger, and replacing all sensors, (with the proper valued ones), that again, the LS ECM will "play nice" with. Also, I think I read somewhere, that since the TB is on the back of the Jag intake, you may have issues with the LS firewall.

I believe that QuikLS solved this by using a tbird TB. It was rotated 90* if I remember correctly. You should be able to find most of the little details in his post about the Super charger build thread.

This is something they ought to be able to pull right up. The factory manuals I have for my Silverado have several pages showing the engine block and all the measurements for the block as well as for the heads, crank, ect. It has everything an engine rebuilder would need to blueprint the block. It's pretty detailed. A visit by the local Jag dealer might also get this. Worse comes to worse, the manuals should cost about 200 bucks for the set with all the information.

Well my uncle runs the parts department for the local ford dealership and a good friend of mine works for a company that has a jag branch. Luckily I am also good friends with everyone who works at the local oreilly auto parts, which theyay be able to look some stuff up for me too.

But at any rate I am excited to see what I can do

Point blank, NO supercharged Jag came with VVT. Even now on the RR HSE 4.2 SC, still no VVT. Advancing timing 30* under a forced load would cause a lean burn, big no no. ALL non SC Jags are VVT. If Dwiggy can drop a 302 into an LS, which I am doing too, but building the engine first :D, with the same ECM, then there is no reason at all a non VVT jag will work. You can even do a huge stroker to 4.4. All you need is a 4.2 crank, 4.2 rods and Range Rover 4.4 pistons. The deck heights NEVER changed in these series of AJ-V8 motors. Jag just did some crank work to stroke the motor. I have been talking to some jag guys in my area. They are in the same boat we are with the aftermarket. They just think outside of the box. 4.4L V8, with a set of P&P Gen 2 heads for you gen 2 guys, you are looking at pretty close to 380, and maybe 400 with a good tune, and slightly bigger injectors. People also say these rods are crap. There are people with STRs, with twin screw SC pushing over 500hp with the Stock block. Now the 4.2 SC pistons are forged, but about $225 a pop from Jag. All bores up to 4.2L were 86mm, the same as ours. Only the stroke changed. The 4.4L was bored 2mm and used the 4.2 lower end. All it really takes is some parts swapping. We do have an aftermarket, but if you want new, you have to go through a Jag or Land Rover dealer. Jaguar Merriam Parts have a great selection, and pretty much the lowest price I've seen.

roverlandparts has crank for below MSRP, any where from 600-900. 4.2 on there now is $750. I always am watching ebay. Last week a set of mint condition 4.2 SC forged pistons were on and gone in 20 mins. Guy was selling them for $300 with a magnaflux reciept.

Point blank, NO supercharged Jag came with VVT. Even now on the RR HSE 4.2 SC, still no VVT. Advancing timing 30* under a forced load would cause a lean burn, big no no. ALL non SC Jags are VVT. If Dwiggy can drop a 302 into an LS, which I am doing too, but building the engine first :D, with the same ECM, then there is no reason at all a non VVT jag will work. You can even do a huge stroker to 4.4. All you need is a 4.2 crank, 4.2 rods and Range Rover 4.4 pistons. The deck heights NEVER changed in these series of AJ-V8 motors. Jag just did some crank work to stroke the motor. I have been talking to some jag guys in my area. They are in the same boat we are with the aftermarket. They just think outside of the box. 4.4L V8, with a set of P&P Gen 2 heads for you gen 2 guys, you are looking at pretty close to 380, and maybe 400 with a good tune, and slightly bigger injectors. People also say these rods are crap. There are people with STRs, with twin screw SC pushing over 500hp with the Stock block. Now the 4.2 SC pistons are forged, but about $225 a pop from Jag. All bores up to 4.2L were 86mm, the same as ours. Only the stroke changed. The 4.4L was bored 2mm and used the 4.2 lower end. All it really takes is some parts swapping. We do have an aftermarket, but if you want new, you have to go through a Jag or Land Rover dealer. Jaguar Merriam Parts have a great selection, and pretty much the lowest price I've seen.

Man I wish I knew enough about cars to 100% follow that (I got maybe 80% of it :rolleyes:)

Cent, I could be wrong but I think you are going much further into the possibilties than what 2002 wants to do. He just wants to do the head swap and add an sc.

Cent, I could be wrong but I think you are going much further into the possibilties than what 2002 wants to do. He just wants to do the head swap and add an sc.

yup, heads and the sc intake and the sc it self. I would like to do more but I am on a smaller budget than doing all the rest. I may someday but its more than I want to spend on this.

Since I'm not completely familiar with the internals of the 3.9, yet, I'm going to ask this for my benefit, as well as 2002 lincolnLS's. Are the pistons in the 3.9 forged also??? If not, wouldn't is be a good idea to get SC pistons? On top of that, wouldn't the SC pistons be of a lower compersion ratio than the N/A 3.9? If 2002 needed the SC pistons to do the conversion, does the SC piston wrist pin hole "dimension out" to the same location as the 3.9. Just thinking out loud as to potential issues.

I don't know on this engine specifically, but you can reduce compression for a blower either with the pistons or with cylinder head combustion chamber size.

Telco,

A valid point. ^^^ I'm just giong by what "Cent" said, as far as only stroking the crank on the 4.0. In my mind, this means the wrist pin location would be different between the 3.9 and 4.0 pistons. In Dwiggy's 302 thread, he mentions that the 3.9 heads are 58cc. If the heads on the Jag are the same, then 2002 would need the SC pistons also for his mod. Just because the head gaskets might be the same, doesn't mean he won't have other issues. I'm just trying to think ahead a little.

You can use the Jag heads, as they are non-VVT for the STRs. Jaguar only made forged pistons for the SC engines. You can try to get a thicker head gasket to lower compression, but it's not the best option. The pistons are the weak link. The Jag guys are making over 500hp on the stock rods. Just get a reflash and a tune.

Okay so here is what I will be doing. I have found several 4.0 s/c engines for under 3k. I am just buying the motor as a whole and putting in. If the xkr motor is higher mileage than mine i will use my block.

I have emailed Jaguar to get any specs they can send me such as torque specs for the build.

they have 510-530 horse range so that is what I will be looking at with the XKR motor build. I will not be starting this for at least a year, but i promise you it will go in. I have a bunch of great info from the Jag Forum I joined as well.

Can't wait to see your work... I knew your initial estimates seemed low. A 500hp LS would be amazing.

So i have found a member on the Jag forum that has done a twin screw supercharger, he is developing 623 horse... We I have my final goal when this is complete. I may end up with the fastest Lincoln LS in America.

Damn... that would be nice...

You may want to upgrade some drive train parts if you start making that kind of power though.

At a minimum you want a limited slip diff.. an entirely upgraded diff would be better though.

Damn... that would be nice...

You may want to upgrade some drive train parts if you start making that kind of power though.

At a minimum you want a limited slip diff

an lsd with 4.11 gears is part of the transformation, as well as a single piece drive shaft

Members online

Back