Which Stock Size Tires Are You Using? Why?

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday after fixing my LS, I took it to have the safety inspection done. It barely passed because the tires need to be replaced. I've read many complaints about the stock tire Ford chose. Typically Michelins are great tires, but that partically one is not liked by many.

The tires I've chosen to replace them with are: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50ZR-17 96W BSW.

$202 ea (vs. $218 ea for stock)

mmihz4.ang.jpg

What tires do you use, and why?

I ran goodyear eagle GT's...
http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-gt?pc=10002327700000
They were an aggressive all season tire that felt great... They also have a built in rim protector (rim sits back in the tire a bit) It have them a good aggressive look. Tread didnt last too long (on the rears :shifty: ) but i never rotated them so more my fault than the tires.. decent price too

Goodyear seems to be pretty good and the one by me is excellent when it comes to customer service. Can't speak for your area but they take good care of me over here.

holy rip-off for both of those. There are much better values out there without sacrificing much performance. The performance difference between that tire and a $100-$150 tire is white noise compared to the limitations of the car's suspension and weight. You also may give up tread life, wet, or cold traction if applicable to your location.

The conti extreme contact DWS is a very good performing and well rated tire at just over $100 and may fit the bill for most people who need all seasons. The 245 45 17s would be a good improvement over stock. Some say the sidewall is not as stiff as other high performance tires, which I somewhat agree with but I dropped sidewall size to negate that (mine are the summer tire version since I have separate snows).

I agree that the goodyears are costly, but for what it comes with its worth it in my opinion. I got an alignment, balancing, warranty, etc. The rotations alone make up for the difference in price assuming your rotating your tires every 10-12,000 miles.

The conti extreme contact DWS is a very good performing and well rated tire at just over $100 and may fit the bill for most people who need all seasons. The 245 45 17s would be a good improvement over stock. Some say the sidewall is not as stiff as other high performance tires, which I somewhat agree with but I dropped sidewall size to negate that (mine are the summer tire version since I have separate snows).

I am running the above tires with fine results. Using the 245/45-17s. No downside that I have seen to using these. The car hangs in high speed turns, have yet to have it unbind from the road, even at 65 mph on ramps.

Bridgestone RE970 Pole Position. Quiet and lasted over 30K miles; which is a record for me. The Michelin Pilot Sports lasted just over 12K miles (center section wore out with proper inflation) and the Hankooks got very noisy after ~10K miles.

I'm running Dunlop SP Sport Signature Tires on both my summer and winter wheels at the moment. Can't say they are the greatest all-season tire but they have served me well for the past 30,000 miles or so.

I was hesitant to buy Dunlop tires for a car because I originally thought motorcycle tires were their game. Come to find out that they're owned by Goodyear so I got a little piece of mind after learning that. The local tire shop that I bought them from recommended them to me at the time and they offered a $50 or $75 rebate so that was a plus.

Only 30k? I bought mine at 68K and I just hit 100k, and they look brand new still.

I forgot how long they're rated to last but they have a lot of life left to them. I can only put miles on my car so fast. I liked them enough that when I got my Sentas, that's what I wrapped them in.

Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR Performance Tire

Good price, good wear, good grip, other LVC folks have them too.
After 9 months and 10K miles there is still 9/32" tread depth as of last week when rotated at a Lincoln Dealership.
(I am running on 255/45/17 on stock wheels lowered with Eibach springs).

The tires I've chosen to replace them with are: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50ZR-17 96W BSW.

mmihz4.ang.jpg

We ran a set of these on our LS. They are great tires, but the are U G L Y and expensive. The sidewall view looks like a truck tire.

I replaced them with General G-max-as. They are much more typical looking tire, but I hate them. They are noisy and are wearing poorly (cupping, step wear...). I'll try something else when these get too bad to take.

I've never personally owned Goodyear tires. The main reason being I've known several people that used them and they've all had bad experiences. I will only buy tires Discount Tire sells. Since there is one on nearly every corner in Dallas, if I get a flat I just have to get the car to one of them.

Here is a review from an LS owner on the Eagle GT.

I had a brand new set of these put on my Lincoln LS. Since its a weekend car, it took me a couple weeks before I got on the interstate with them. When I finally did, the steering wheel almost shook my hands off it at 65 mph! I took it back in and they rebalanced them. Still terrible. Took it back in and they did a Ride Match. Still terrible! So now they decide to try out a whole new set of these. The service guy says to me, "These are better but still not very good." I asked why, and he tells me its cause he had to stack 2 rows of sticker weights on 3 of them to get them balanced. I asked how that is better, and he tells me cause the last set had that on ALL 4 of them. So I take it back out on the interstate and does the same thing. The whole car shakes. I even took my car to the dealer to make sure it wasn't my car. They told me nope, nothing wrong with your car, these tires are terrible! I will never purchase Goodyear again.

I've had great experiences with the Michelins, so I'll probably go that route. Gus_Mahn, I can see how they would probably look like truck tires from the side. But either way, thanks guys for your opinions and input!

My requirements:

1. Stock Size 235/50 17
2. Manfacturers Warranty - Performance tires and cheap tires generally have none. But its a must for me.
3. Excellent Handling in wet conditions. When it rains in Texas IT RAINS...HARD
4. Good life expectancy - I don't want to have to replace them again next year.

I will have the replacement warranty from Discount. They also do free rotations every 5000 miles.

The only problem now is coming up with the $900 to $1000... :eek:

holy rip-off for both of those. There are much better values out there without sacrificing much performance. The performance difference between that tire and a $100-$150 tire is white noise compared to the limitations of the car's suspension and weight. You also may give up tread life, wet, or cold traction if applicable to your location.

I Agree. I have the DW's (no S for me) in 255/45/17. They are GREAT!!!
Quiter, smoother, grippier, better looking (Than the stock Michelins)...They require just a hair more concentration on center driving (Think interstate snooze control) but turn the wheel a half a degree from center and the handling becomes almost telepathic.

I am running Falken Azenis PT-722 on the LS. I have always ran Falken tires on all of my vehicles. I have never had one hydroplane or really anything. They stick to the ground. Treadwear is outstanding and for a summer ride, these things will hook up hard with just a little chirp. The only Falken I have ever had a problem with is the Ziex-512, which is a pitiful excuse for a performance tire. I tried Goodyear GT's , but way too loud.

I'd go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. That was my original choice.

Yesterday after fixing my LS, I took it to have the safety inspection done. It barely passed because the tires need to be replaced. I've read many complaints about the stock tire Ford chose. Typically Michelins are great tires, but that partically one is not liked by many.

mmihz4.ang.jpg

These. Long life, good performance, and good price.

I will only buy tires Discount Tire sells. Since there is one on nearly every corner in Dallas, if I get a flat I just have to get the car to one of them.

1. Stock Size 235/50 17
2. Manfacturers Warranty - Performance tires and cheap tires generally have none. But its a must for me.
3. Excellent Handling in wet conditions. When it rains in Texas IT RAINS...HARD
4. Good life expectancy - I don't want to have to replace them again next year.

I will have the replacement warranty from Discount. They also do free rotations every 5000 miles.

The only problem now is coming up with the $900 to $1000... :eek:

Nice. Im in san antonio and of course we also have Discount tire everywhere. I just went in today to replace my tires, mine were horrible. I had new yokohomo s.drives' on them when i bought the car. 45k miles was too long to go without replacing, but money was an issue. They offered me yokohomo YK580 for $10 more per tire then the s.drive and its apparently a much better tire. I stuck with yokohoma because it grips great and is really quiet.

I didn't like the stick Michelins at all. I replaced them with the same tires you are looking at in 245/45/17 from costco. I was very happy with them. Did better then I expected in snow too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back