My Drilled + Slotted Upgrade by Brake Motive

Picked up this kit today. I still would like to have a torque wrench before I do it, but I don't think that will happen.

image_16407.jpg

do it! ;) just make sure you use A LOT of coats though, since its clear and you cant see it its harder to tell whether all the spots are covered or not

very nice job on the calipers! damn all those pics of slotted rotors making me regret not getting slotted too lol

did you end up clearcoating your rotors?

nice wheels btw kinda different but i dig

Thanks, no i didn't Worried about spraying the contact surface... I'll wait till they rust and maybe just paint (or order new) then.

Picked up this kit today. I still would like to have a torque wrench before I do it, but I don't think that will happen.

image_16407.jpg

...thats a big brake kit you have

Thanks, no i didn't Worried about spraying the contact surface... I'll wait till they rust and maybe just paint (or order new) then.

...thats a big brake kit you have
Yea. When I went to Harbor Freight, it was the only one they had. It's still better than the $100 for the factory tool, and now I should be future ready.

So I was about to start this project this evening. I pulled the jack out of the trunk and started to jack up the car. Before I could really move the car much, the jack started to warp and nearly came apart on me... I immediately lowered it. So until I get a jack to lift the car, I still can't replace the brakes.

Good news is many of my other projects will go forward soon. I ordered the DCCV yesterday from RockAuto. I have the replacement thermostat. I'm about to order a new set of coils. By the end of next week I should have an alarm with remote start on it. Much to do these next couple of weeks!

Cool thread ... I just smoked my Drivers rear pads up tonight due to a possible sticking E-Brake.
Might as well go this brakemotive route all around and paint them up aswell.

SS lines ? where ? cost ?

Wow, just noticed on the eBay ad, Shipping: $115.00

are they for real ?

are they for real ?
Sounds about right for rotors only. I got the entire set (rotors and pads) and it was something like $165. I posted the price in one of the first posts, if not the OP.

are they for real ?

$115 for shipping alone? maybe you read it wrong...or maybe thats the shipping to canada?

I paid $190ish shipped for my mom's mountaineer brakes (rotors + pads).

On a separate note:
They've been great so far. Excellent braking performance...of course thats compared to the crappy/ f'ed brakes that were on there, but still surprised me considering the size of that thing. I'll take some pics when i get a chance, a couple thousand miles on them now and no issues to report.

The other two wheels will be done tomorrow. Then on to the next project.

The caliper tool works perfectly. Use the right hand threaded tool and the #7 piece. I thought it would be a bit easier though. It takes some force to get those things to turn. I also bought the Husky 20~250 ft-lb torque wrench. ($80) It worked perfectly as well. I wanted it done right. I don't want to warp my new rotors the moment I put them on the car.

As you can see from the photos, there's some other work that needs to be done.

Ran into a problem. So apparently the brake pads on this car were in pretty good shape. The problem was because the pads are dirt cheap, and the rear passenger brake wasn't working at all. Here's why:

598934_4070055390869_919080623_n.jpg

550471_4070098431945_811302642_n.jpg

that looks pretty ugly
It got pretty ugly trying to remove it. I went to pep boys and picked up a caliper brush (had no clue they made that), some synthetic caliper grease, and some WD-40. Used the WD-40 and brush to remove rust from pin. Used a screw driver with grease on it to fish out as much rust as I could from the caliper. Then I lubed it all up, and it works fine now. As far as I can tell, that caliper was not being used, because there was no way for the caliper to squeeze together.

It got pretty ugly trying to remove it. I went to pep boys and picked up a caliper brush (had no clue they made that), some synthetic caliper grease, and some WD-40. Used the WD-40 and brush to remove rust from pin. Used a screw driver with grease on it to fish out as much rust as I could from the caliper. Then I lubed it all up, and it works fine now. As far as I can tell, that caliper was not being used, because there was no way for the caliper to squeeze together.

No. The outer pad was not being used. The caliper piston squeezes the inner pad against the rotor and the reactive force applies the outer pad, unless the caliper sliding pins are rusted frozen.

I suppose you're right. I bet that one pad was much more worn than the rest. The piston was much further out on that caliper than all the rest. It took some serious force to get it to go back in.

That's why I always replace the hardware when I do a brake job. New pads, new rotors, new hardware, every time.

+1 Brake Motive

I have had mine on for six months with the ceramic pads no cracks or rust seems like a good cheap brake job.

Time for new toe links me thinks :) Zero rust as well, wow.

The hardware won't cause problems every time. Sometimes you can go 2-3 brake sets on the same hardware. I've just had enough of them cause problems in the past that caused me to redo the job a few months later that I don't bother with reusing old hardware anymore. It just isn't worth the time to redo the job to save the few dollars the new hardware costs.

$115 for shipping alone? maybe you read it wrong...or maybe thats the shipping to canada?

I paid $190ish shipped ....

yeah, that's to Canada ... it's outright hiway robbery.
I supposed it's because of the weight of the rotors.

I'll find something within Canada that will work for me when i'm ready to upgrade brakes all around.

I'm on exhaust & wheels right now.

Pics of install looks great folks !!!

Question

What are you guys doing with the old rotors? They're perfectly good, but I can't just let them sit around. I need to get rid of them.

Edit: ASAP

Members online

No members online now.
Back