...So aparently 2006 LS not covered by extended coil warranty??

scjmc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to check out the horrible misfire that I have. Service writer told me that the coil warranty now only applied to 2003-2005 LS. I looked it up and it looks like he is right. Lame..... I guess I will just buy a set of Visteons and just replace them all like I did on my last LS.

Dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to check out the horrible misfire that I have. Service writer told me that the coil warranty now only applied to 2003-2005 LS. I looked it up and it looks like he is right. Lame..... I guess I will just buy a set of Visteons and just replace them all like I did on my last LS.

From what I have heard, Lincoln claimed that there would be no issues with the coils in the 06's, therefor, no extended warranty on the coils.

the dealer would have fixed that before they sold it if it was under warranty.... most likely

What exactly is the extended warranty? How long does it cover for in addition to the regular warranty? Sorry to hear about your coils, in the hood - where I live, some dude changes em out, parts included for $50 each.

What exactly is the extended warranty? How long does it cover for in addition to the regular warranty? Sorry to hear about your coils, in the hood - where I live, some dude changes em out, parts included for $50 each.

well thats a ripoff... i think the stealership charges less than that!!?!?!?!?!

I haven't had to change any out yet, but I think that's what someone else who has an LS by me said. Dunno if it's cheaper at the dealer, I never go there. BTW, I think he's on this forum, hes got a black 2000, v8.

I just wish I knew which cylinders were misfiring. I saved some coils from my last LS that are good. I want to use them temporarilary until I get a full set. The factory saying that the 06s should not have a problem with the coils is dumbfounding. Oh well hopefully my VCGs are not leaking. IIRC changing those is a PITA.

Are you getting a Check Engine light? If so, I believe some shops will check your computer for free and let you know exactly which cylinder is misfiring.

Tell them you don't want the car. Its been less than 30 days since you bought it, they should just fix the damn thing and send you on your way.

Yep does not cover 2006. That's brought up alot here. That's why most people would say if you find a 04-05 LSE your golden because then you have the looks of an 06 and your coils are covered.

hopefully the PCM has not been damaged from driving on bad coils too long

JJcool00, no I wish the CEL was on, I have a scaner for that. I am sure the codes are in pending status, but I cant see the pending codes.

02LincLS the dealership that i bought the car from is about 200 miles away. I do have a warranty with their network of dealers, the nearest being about 130 miles. Its not worth the trouble to drive the car up there and get who knows, lets say 3 coils replaced under warranty only to have the problem crop up again. Ill just take care of it since I was wrong about it being under factory warranty.

From what I can recall - the PCM replacement is extremely expensive, but if your PCM was damaged your car would most likely not only throw a code but also turtle at less than 10 MPH as a failsafe.

I could be wrong, I'm not a mechanic but I've done a crap load of research on the car.

From what I have heard, Lincoln claimed that there would be no issues with the coils in the 06's, therefor, no extended warranty on the coils.

Over 90K on my '06 and still on original coils. I plan to change the plugs and cos at 100K.

Update..... They said that they could not stress test the coils because their IDS maching caught fire this morning. I picked the car up and now it runs worse and the check engine light is now on (thanks God). It has an idle problem now that it didnt have. I wonder if they did something terrible to the computer when their diagnostic machine dies??

Unfortunately, this now does sound like possibly PCM damage.

Run the code and see what comes up.

I will run the code when I get home. Service writer says that they did not do anything with the car at all, and that the machine failed before they even pulled my car around......

What

If your COPS are not under warentee your PCM should be i would check into it that could cost some serous change to replace hope it all works out.

scjmc,

I doubt you have PCM damage, though I guess it is possible. A slight missfire is not enough to trigger the PCM to trip a code. Now that it is "bucking" at idle, you definitely have codes set. I'm sure if you plug a scanner into the OBD2 port, you will get the cylinders that are mis-firing. The code will be a P030_, with the last number being the particular cylinder, (1 through 8). How many miles are on this vehicle? The "life expectancy'" of the factory coils, is 70,000 to 100,000 miles, depending on how hard you drive it. My LS recently stated dropping coils at 75,000. After the aggravation of replacing three that dropped within 2 months. I decided to replace them all. I did spark plugs at the same time. To me, the visteons are questionable. I went to O'Reilly's, (or whatever they're called in your neck of the woods), and bought the Borg Warner coils. They have a lifetime replacement through the vendor, not the manufacturer. Do yourself a favor, and replace all 8 at the same time, and plugs too. The missfire can foul a plug. Get at least Platinum plugs, and don't buy Motorcraft/Autolite. As long as your cowl seal, at the rear of the hood is good, LEAVE THE COIL COVERS OFF. All the covers do, is provide cometics, and trap heat from the coils, which shortens their life. You may also have an o2 sensor code from the missfires. Replace both upsteam o2 sensors if you have a code for one. This may seem a bit of overkill, but it will prevent you from crawling under the hood, or under the car, multiple times. Call it preventative maintenance. Hope this helps.

Ok, so I pulled the code. #7 misfire and general misfire. I replaced the #7 coil with a spare from my 02 ls. Car runs much better now, but still obviously has a misfire issue. I am gonna order 8 coils and plugs and see how it is after I swap them out.

I will run the code when I get home. Service writer says that they did not do anything with the car at all, and that the machine failed before they even pulled my car around......

Are they the ones who took out the Nav and installed a pioneer? I'm not sure I would trust that service guy.

Ok, so I pulled the code. #7 misfire and general misfire. I replaced the #7 coil with a spare from my 02 ls. Car runs much better now, but still obviously has a misfire issue. I am gonna order 8 coils and plugs and see how it is after I swap them out.

Shouldn't the dealer you bought the car from be responsible for repair costs? They sold it to you and didn't say anything about the misfire, they knew it was there.

Are they the ones who took out the Nav and installed a pioneer? I'm not sure I would trust that service guy.

Shouldn't the dealer you bought the car from be responsible for repair costs? They sold it to you and didn't say anything about the misfire, they knew it was there.

That isn't a battle worth fighting. Been there, done that. I would suggest to just not do business with them anymore, and relate the experience to anyone who will listen. I would rather pay to have someone else fix the problem than hope that service shop would fix the problem correctly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back