Car ticking/making noises

Chubbs765

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Here just recently I've noticed a ticking or rattling on my 2003 Ls somewhere, even though I can't really pinpoint the location of the sound I know that it's louder when the car is in park then when it is in drive. The car just recently had coils, plugs and vcgs and a oil change. Any ideas would help a lot.

Here just recently I've noticed a ticking or rattling on my 2003 Ls somewhere, even though I can't really pinpoint the location of the sound I know that it's louder when the car is in park then when it is in drive. The car just recently had coils, plugs and vcgs and a oil change. Any ideas would help a lot.

Cheap crappy oil filter, e.g. Fram?

No I'm assuming it's motorcraft because ford did the vcgs and all 8 coils along with the oil change. I think I've found a general location where the sound is coming from. Near the front of the motor toward the driver side. Could this be a belt?

Sorry for the double post but, the check engine light is NOT on and it's got plenty of oil.

Sometimes a fuel injector will make this ticking noise when clogged. Take connector off 1 @ a time while idling. Food for thought. Put finger on each coil also.

having this same problem, same year and all. only i had the coils replaced about a year ago. almost feels like they need to be done again cause the car vibrates in a rhythm when its in park.

Has anyone looked at using something other than the COP system since it seems to be crap? The Chevy LS engines also have individual coilpacks and they are damn near indestructable. I also have a spare set, was thinking that if mine go bad I might make a mount and try making an adapter wiring harness to use them on my LS. The only stopper would be whether the Lincoln wiring harness has the correct inputs for the Chevy coils.

02linc, I've never payed attention to if I've had the air on or not when it's making the noise but it for sure is on the driver side by the bottom of the motor

Its likely the compressor then. Mine has done it for a very long time but only when the compressor is running (A/C light on or windshield defogger on). I consider it "normal" lol. I'd rather leave it alone until it stops blowing cold and dry. If that makes my repair bill more expensive later, so be it. I will have got 200,000 miles out of it and only did the job once instead of blowing money every time this car makes a noise. In other words, if you confirm its the compressor ticking by clicking the a/c button off and it stops ticking, just turn the radio up louder so you don't hear it :D

Has anyone looked at using something other than the COP system since it seems to be crap? The Chevy LS engines also have individual coilpacks and they are damn near indestructable. I also have a spare set, was thinking that if mine go bad I might make a mount and try making an adapter wiring harness to use them on my LS. The only stopper would be whether the Lincoln wiring harness has the correct inputs for the Chevy coils.

Once changed, the coils seem to last a long time actually.

Lot of the guys having issues are on original coils. Replace them once and as long as the valve cover gasket and plugs are good they should last 50k to 100k miles or even more. Coils aren't replaced all that often unless you buy junk coils/mismatched sets.

I replaced my VCGS, spark plugs, and all 8 coils on my Gen 1 at 60K. Traded at 136K and never had another coil issue. Actually the engine ran perfect, and I mean perfect its entire life after 60K.

Members online

No members online now.
Back