Wheels 101

besides we have lowered ls's size and equipment thread already, that stuff is for wheels 202 class, this is freshmen year stuff, Prerequisite for fitment 201

Thats true but it doesn't go into the information about the wheel that was used. I figure just give the information people are looking for and threads like "new guy with a question" would slow down a bit. Considering most of those threads the next post is someone telling them to use the search button.

yeah but at the same time we don't want the entire first page to be stickies.

Lol... You'll have to send me the new owners info so he can keep me updated..... Your dead to me bull :D

It isn't a typo, that refers to the wheels bolts, 5 with 1.5mm thread pitch. But it should really be 12 x 1.5mm as that covers the diameter and the thread pitch.

As an aside, now that we have the rims understood, I would like to go to tires. When you have decided on what size tires, please check the manufacturer's website for specifications on the tires. All tires are not created equal. A 245mm width tire is not exactly 245mm. First it is rounded to the nearest ten mm. Also this measurement changes depending on the width of the measuring rim. For example my 245 tires are actually 249mm on the measured rim width of 8.5 inches. The wider the rim a tire is measured on makes the tire wider as well. So if you put 245mm Yokohamas on a 8.5 inch rim and they don't rub, if you put them on a 9 inch rim they might. Also if you changed from a Yokohama to a Michelin in the same size they might rub as well. Even changing model of tires from the same manufacturer could cause them to rub. I had this happen with Michelin tires, the same size. The replacement model rubbed, when the original didn't, this was an original equipment wheel and original tire size.

Thread revival...

on the stock 17 x 7.5 Lincoln LS Wheels...

Will

(1) 235 65 17 (4)--- best deal out of them all price wise
(2) 235 55 17 (4)---

(3) 225 50 17 (2)

(4) 215 50 17 (2)

fit?

I know it sounds like a lot of rubber, Which I mean, it is. However, I want to know if they would fit.

I've got a chance for a great deal to replace some or all 4 of my tires at once but would like to know if this is a stupid purchase.

225/50 is the closest at 1.5% difference, should be close enough to mix
next is 215/50 at 3.1%, probably more than anyone should mix
then 235/55 at 3.4%, not bad, but your speedo will read low. I wouldn't expect fitment issues
last is 235/65 at almost 10%. I wouldn't consider those. Then again, I wouldn't consider anything over 3% on all 4 wheels anyway

I was asking more along the lines of pictures. I understand the mechanical side as far as measurements and all, but thanks for the information.

Members online

Back