Skinny Fitness

A pleasant update :cool:

"Giving Back" Session 1 begins this Thursday at the YMCA in St. Paul with a very enthusiastic person that I have had the opportunity to speak with. She is determined to get back in shape. In high school she was very active in the gym and brought herself to 3 months out from a bodybuilding competition and then a car accident changed her life. She has been slowly getting back into the groove. My goal is to help make drastic changes in the way she looks and feels about herself. This is the last and final step for me to act upon as laid out in the famous speech by Arnold in which he goes over the 6 rules to success. "Give Something Back" Go Bridget!!

I suck at picture editing or computers in general LOL. So I tried to make a new before and after photo. The top is Week 1 after I signed up at the gym in February 2011 and the bottom photo is me now in May 2012. :cool:

SideBySide.jpg

Well unfortunately my aim of getting a bit more buff has come to a sudden stop,
I worked out four days a week, pressing , and doing sit ups.
In just the time since I posted that I was going to do this weight training, there was a definite improvement, in the arms,chest, and stomach.
I was really proud of what I had accomplished in just that short time.
Last Saturday,I was putting some detail spray on the Tbird, not exerting at all, and when I reached for the spray bottle I had placed on the roof of the car, I suddenly felt dizzy and light headed.
My legs, and arms felt really weak.
I grabbed the door handle and held on to it because I knew I was going to black out.
I thought I was having a stroke.
I didn't think heart attack because I had no pain, or anything associated with a heart attack.
I didn't black out, but was within seconds of it.
I managed to crawl over to the garden hose which was about 6 feet away.
Once I got water on my face and head, I started to come around, though very weak.
Once in the house I sat in the recliner to gain a little composure before calling 911.
I never did get to call because I immediately fell asleep, and slept for two hours solid.
When I woke, I had feeling back in my legs and arms.
I decided I could wait till morning to go to the hospital.
What they found after many test, including a m.r.i. with three different doctors was, my spinal cord was being compressed by the muscles in my neck.
Obviously they had grow considerably because of lifting the weights.
The muscles were shutting off blood to the brain.
The doctors all said the weight lifting was the cause, and not to consider lifting ever again.
I gotta say, this scared the hell put of me.
So, I guess I will have to be content with what I have, and be glad I am still here to appreciate what I have.
Bob.

Well unfortunately my aim of getting a bit more buff has come to a sudden stop,
I worked out four days a week, pressing ,doing sit ups, and curls.
In just the time since I posted that I was going to do this weight training, there was a definite improvement, in the arms,chest, and stomach.
I was really proud of what I had accomplished in just that short time.
Last Saturday,I was putting some detail spray on the Tbird, not exerting at all, and when I reached for the spray bottle I had placed on the roof of the car, I suddenly felt dizzy and light headed.
My legs, and arms felt really weak.
I grabbed the door handle and held on to it because I knew I was going to black out.
I thought I was having a stroke.
I didn't think heart attack because I had no pain, or anything associated with a heart attack.
I didn't black out, but was within seconds of it.
I managed to crawl over to the garden hose which was about 6 feet away.
Once I got water on my face and head, I started to come around, though very weak.
Once in the house I sat in the recliner to gain a little composure before calling 911.
I never did get to call because I immediately fell asleep, and slept for two hours solid.
When I woke, I had feeling back in my legs and arms.
I decided I could wait till morning to go to the hospital.
What they found after many test, including a M R.I. with three different doctors was, my spinal cord was being compressed by the muscles in my neck.
Obviously they had grown considerably because of lifting the weights.
The muscles were shutting off blood to the brain.
The doctors all said the weight lifting was the cause, and not to consider lifting ever again.
I gotta say, this scared the hell put of me.
So, I guess I will have to be content with what I have, and be glad I am still here to appreciate what I have.
Bob.

I'm sorry to hear that Bob. Just the fact that you put forth the effort at your age is commendable and I hope I have your motivation when I get there. I am humbled by what you have said and I wish you all the best. Keep on shining the Bird and take it easy on those weights. Take care. :Beer

Thanks Kirk,
I appreciate it.
I still want to work on the waste line though.
I have to find a way to build a moderate sixpac with out doing sit ups.
That also contributed to the strain on my neck muscles.
I will have to read up on stuff to see what I can do in moderation that will help me build without excessive strain.
Just because the weights are out doesn't mean I am giving up, far from it.
Bob.

I haven't got the courage up to do squats without the assisted machine. So at the moment, I am doing squats on the assisted machine and will transition over to the real deal squats in about another week here.

Here is some progress on my stick legs. I am definitely seeing some growth. :cool:

Legs.jpg
Legs 2.jpg

Another positive note, my strength has been up for the last week. I think I am going through another muscle growth spurt and I am going to take advantage of it.

Legs.jpg

Legs 2.jpg

best advice is diet, when you eat and what this was me before my accident, but of course if i didnt stay in tip top shape id lose, so i stayed undefeated for 6 yrs.i was benching 385 shoulder pressing 250, repping 225 for 10 body fat somewheres around 12-15% you can see just under the skull on my right arm the scar or missing piece from the police dog they put on me after i was in cuffs on the ground he took a little chunk with him back in 2007 and these were not out of the gym pics where you look twice as big, these were normal everyday pics.this was right before accident at 38 yrs old 5'11" 195 lbs. body building, weight loss, fitness, whatever you want to call it its not something you do, want to do, or dream about, there is no easy way although the right way will produce results faster, its a lifestyle. you really have to be sick of the way you are and want to change and/or constantly want to improve whatever your goal.as for abs hanging leg raises , knee lifts, actually having someone bounce a medicine ball off your stomach for as long as you can stand it for 3- 5 sets will make your abs rock hard. the main thing is once you get into a good sweat to keep with it and dont slow down for at least 1/2 hr 3-5x a week. im also here for any questions in a wheelchair now about to start going back soon
me1.jpg

meboat.jpg

Your case is quite unfortunate. Best of luck to you when you get back to it. All you can do is be a warrior despite the circumstances. It's easy for me to say because I'm not in a wheelchair but I try not to take things for granted. Anything can happen to anyone at anytime.

Today was my first day at the "rack" for doing squats. I have been using the assisted machine for quite some time building up a little bit of strength and getting my form down. I didn't feels as "confident" at the rack but I think that is just part of getting used to the fact that there is no track to keep my form perfect so I have to rely on all of my stabilizer muscles now to do that for me.

I don't think my form was bad by any means but I am keeping the weight low for now to perfect my form.

Here are my legs today at 17 months:

Teardrop.jpg
Legs- 17 months.jpg

Teardrop.jpg

Legs- 17 months.jpg

Some more progress. Most noticeable is some upper chest growth, a little bit of turtleneckin' and of course my stick legs, well, they're growing! :D

154294_3787092283784_1359726664_n.jpg
269526_3740976970930_1284571454_n.jpg

I have currently switched up my routine a bit and am growing again. The muscles respond well to change and I was stuck in a rut for awhile that I needed to get out of. I have added more intensity and volume where I feel it is needed. I will be 2 years into this journey by February of 2013 and currently I have successfully added about 100# to my bench press. I am up 11# in body weight since July of this year.

154294_3787092283784_1359726664_n.jpg

269526_3740976970930_1284571454_n.jpg

KS, do you have any recommendations for increasing metabolism using any supplements? I am diabetic with Multiple-Sclerosis so I can't jog or pump iron anymore. I stopped smoking in January and I have gained 15lbs since with a huge jump in waist size (32 to 36). I am gonna try to start bicycling again so that will be the extent of the exercise. Any suggestions you have will be much appreciated.

KS, do you have any recommendations for increasing metabolism using any supplements? I am diabetic with Multiple-Sclerosis so I can't jog or pump iron anymore. I stopped smoking in January and I have gained 15lbs since with a huge jump in waist size (32 to 36). I am gonna try to start bicycling again so that will be the extent of the exercise. Any suggestions you have will be much appreciated.

Eat less, more often. Drink lots of water, too. That will make a large difference in your metabolism. Anything you can add in to elevate your heart rate for 45-60 minutes a day is excellent as well.

Exactly. Smaller more frequent meals and some form of cardio daily.

Congrats on the quitting smoking!

Drink a lotta water, like 3-5 full 8 oz cups a day, or if its easier for you carry a water bottle with you when you go out. If your going out to eat or something, drink a water bottle on the way there so you eat less. You can even go for a walk each day, whatever cardio you prefer. I can't wait to be able to really work out and run, but since I had surgery on my neck from a stupid car accident in february, all I can do now is some curls, leg extensions and a little cardio =/

Drink a lotta water, like 3-5 full 8 oz cups a day, or if its easier for you carry a water bottle with you when you go out.
Double that water intake, at least a half-gallon (8 cups) in a day. Shoot for a gallon if you can on just a "leisurely" day and drink more during activities.

Ok thanks guys. You're awesome! Now that it is getting cooler I can go out and cycle some more. I really need to lose some for better times at the kart track.

Happy Thanksgiving guys. I just wanted to let you know I didn't have seconds today. Just one plate and 1 liter of water with no desert!

Members online

Back