Official Plasti-Dip Thread

Ugh. Spent 8 hours today plasti-dipping my stock 17's. The past two hours have been peeling it off. My technique was off and the finish was terrible, looked like I took truck bedliner to it almost.

Props to the guys with a nice smooth finish. I didn't have notecards nor did I want to get any so I just loaded the tire up full of tire shine. I should have bought the notecards as it is not peeling off as easily as it does in Fonzi's video. Also, figured it would be a pita to keep cleanish in the winter.

3 cans of glossifier and one can of plasti-dip for anyone interested pm me. Not asking much for it.

What did the finish look like? I mean, mines pretty smooth but it has a little texture to it, nothing extreme though (kinda have to be close to notice it)

IT was just weird and not what I was expecting. Great product but not my taste. Maybe some other time but not right now. It didn't come out looking like any of the earlier examples in this thread.

Ugh. Spent 8 hours today plasti-dipping my stock 17's. The past two hours have been peeling it off. My technique was off and the finish was terrible, looked like I took truck bedliner to it almost.

Props to the guys with a nice smooth finish. I didn't have notecards nor did I want to get any so I just loaded the tire up full of tire shine. I should have bought the notecards as it is not peeling off as easily as it does in Fonzi's video. Also, figured it would be a pita to keep cleanish in the winter.

3 cans of glossifier and one can of plasti-dip for anyone interested pm me. Not asking much for it.

Dammm that sucks dude. It does take some practice to finally get the right technique to prevent texture. I've done a fair amount, and i still mess up sometimes.

With that said, i think i've sort of given up on plasti-dip on wheels...other than black dip. I started on my "White Barcelonas" the other day, and ran into a couple of issues.

1) It took almost 2 cans to cover up the black powdercoat on just one wheel! I only ordered 4 cans (4 wheel kit).
2) When it was done, it looked like ass, so i peeled it off. Thank god i had only done one. I had some texture in some areas, i hit the wheel with the can while the dip was still wet as i was plasti dipping, which caused a gash. And the white that resulted just didn't seem right. It was too bright, and almost seemed "rice" in my opinion. So i got discouraged to keep going. However I tried silver metalizer over white, i got a really nice pearl white looking color. I may try that later on when my mood changes, but i'll need much more white LOL

I was so pissed and discouraged, i didn't even take a pic before i peeled it off. Sorry for those that were looking forward to pics.

Even though, im starting to get discouraged with Dip on wheels (other than black), i still think its great for grills and emblems.

Yeh, you live and you learn. It was a plasti-dip fail on my part. Doing them in black made them look small too, especially when switching to them from the Sentas. The only part that I didn't peel it off was in the hubcap holes lol. Only part I can say came out right so I left it.

Finally got around to taking a picture after I Plasti-Dipped my factory wheels>

Mofaml.jpg

Original

I want to get a grill that matches my paint still.

Finally got around to taking a picture after I Plasti-Dipped my factory wheels>

Mofaml.jpg

Original

I want to get a grill that matches my paint still.

They came out great! They don't even look like 17's more like 18's & that's rare since blacking out stocks usually end up looking smaller.

They came out great! They don't even look like 17's more like 18's & that's rare since blacking out stocks usually end up looking smaller.

Thanks dude! Yeah I also noticed that they didn't look any smaller. I was surprised. I think it's because the rim and tire combo fill the wheel well up pretty well.

Speaking of texture, I plasti dipped my wheels and they are smooth although on one, there is some texture that appears to be overspray. Anyone know if it's safe to clay bar a plasti dipped wheel. And for that matter, those of you who have already washed your dipped parts, any advice? About how long after painting is it safe to wash/get wet.

I just finished my wheels and have very mixed feelings about plasti dip. It seemed to spray on fairly easily and the results were pretty good considering this was my first time using the product (I've painted many things in my life, just never used plasti dip). I have serious reservations about the durability of the product though. I allowed them to dry from 10pm to 10am before moving them. Maybe I'm being too cautious/suspicious , but when putting the wheels back on my car, I felt that if I even took a fingernail to the wheel it would leave a mark and I could peel it all off. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong as it seems a lot of people have great results, but it just seems like I cannot touch the wheels with anything except a microfiber towel and gentle water.

They look nice but I'm afraid to move the car with them on for fear of ruining them haha. It can just sit in my garage and I'll look at it until I get the courage :)

Speaking of texture, I plasti dipped my wheels and they are smooth although on one, there is some texture that appears to be overspray. Anyone know if it's safe to clay bar a plasti dipped wheel. And for that matter, those of you who have already washed your dipped parts, any advice? About how long after painting is it safe to wash/get wet.

I just finished my wheels and have very mixed feelings about plasti dip. It seemed to spray on fairly easily and the results were pretty good considering this was my first time using the product (I've painted many things in my life, just never used plasti dip). I have serious reservations about the durability of the product though. I allowed them to dry from 10pm to 10am before moving them. Maybe I'm being too cautious/suspicious , but when putting the wheels back on my car, I felt that if I even took a fingernail to the wheel it would leave a mark and I could peel it all off. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong as it seems a lot of people have great results, but it just seems like I cannot touch the wheels with anything except a microfiber towel and gentle water.

They look nice but I'm afraid to move the car with them on for fear of ruining them haha. It can just sit in my garage and I'll look at it until I get the courage :)

Hope this helps

How to Fix PlastiDip (Texture, Tears, Troubleshooting) DipYourCar.com - YouTube

Washing has been no problem. I power wash it, scrub it with soap like the rest of my car. No peeling or anything. I waited 48 hours before I hit it with a power washer and that was enough

plastidip stocks

i have some pretty bad curve rash on all rims... one has a real bad mark on the face bout 1/62 of an inch deep... contacted fonzie and he said it would cover it... what do you guys think

2012-06-15_09-47-58_865.jpg

2012-06-15_09-47-43_363.jpg

i have some pretty bad curve rash on all rims... one has a real bad mark on the face bout 1/62 of an inch deep... contacted fonzie and he said it would cover it... what do you guys think

Im sure itll cover it and look better, but by no means is it a permanent solution.

I would call it semi permanent though. Its damn strong stuff. Getting the wheels professionally done would look better but is like 5000% more expensive

hope these show more damage... i would have to resurface and chrome all the wheels, 120 a piece... i was thinking plastidip for now, but not sure if the really scratched surface will show up in the finish product... the savings would be significant

2012-06-15_12-31-09_605.jpg

2012-06-15_12-31-01_413.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back