Just wanted to gauge intrest

centason

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying a set of either shorty headers, or full length long tube headers. I am in the design process right now for the headers. I'm not one of those that say "hey let's get some interest going" and then leave everyone hanging. I'm not that type of person. I am a welder, so everything in that area is covered. Looking at 1.5" primaries. Still hung up on either shorty or long tube. I know it's a tight fit in that area, and that's where the hard part will be. It can be done, I am just debating whether it should be a two piece sleeve design with spring locks. Both sets will be equal lengths. Long tube will be around 28" for scavenging purposes. 4-1 design with 3" collectors. I am going to try to keep the stock cat locations, but I'm not promising that. Bungs for O2 sensors will be welded in to keep the connections as close to stock as possible. The setups will be in steel to reduce costs. I can do stainless, but why? No one is going to see them. All mig welded and mandrel bends. Pressure tested. Pricing TBD, but it's not going to hurt the wallet, I can promise that.

I am also looking at doing a custom intake that will take the filter out of the engine bay and will include some type of bypass for water purposes. It will be a true CAI for the LS V8. A breather kit or an oil catch can will need to be installed, because I will be deleting some of the connections that put crap into the intake. Price TBD. Welding will be TIG.

I am just gauging interest at the moment. If you guys like the ideas it would be a 4-6 week lead time on orders. I have to get mine done first so I have a model to work from.

LSV8 ONLY.

Possibly a custom intake manifold, but that is way off at the moment.

Either. The exhaust setup didnt change in that area. They all use the exact same Log type manifold, as do the jags. As for the gen II intake, I will have to find a Gen II in my area and take measurements, and see what it looks like with the box off.

If you can come up with some sort of ballpark $ figure I can give you a better answer. A bolt-in header option does sound nice for the LS. Currently the only option is a long-tube header designed for the T-Bird that aren't a direct fit. They required shaving the mount bracket and reworking some of the plumbing.

It will be under $1000 for a set. I am working on a close knit design due to the tight fit that these engines are in the bay. It may be well below $1000 once I can price what I will need. I don't want to rape my wallet, and I'm sure that most everyone here doesn't want to either. I am planning on mocking up a cat back design as well, full bolt on, for half the price of magnaflow. Won't be stainless, but it will be a cost effective budget option.

It will be under $1000 for a set. I am working on a close knit design due to the tight fit that these engines are in the bay. It may be well below $1000 once I can price what I will need. I don't want to rape my wallet, and I'm sure that most everyone here doesn't want to either. I am planning on mocking up a cat back design as well, full bolt on, for half the price of magnaflow. Won't be stainless, but it will be a cost effective budget option.

$1000 seems a little rich to me for the HP gain I am going to get from headers. We are talking 15-30hp on average.

I would be interested if you were going to bring in a set of headers for half that.

Just giving you my honest opinion. No attitude implied :)

Lol that's ballpark. It may well be half that. I always go high for some reason. I'm not looking to make much off of a set either, just my time. The intake will be a nice addition. Especially with the filter out of the engine bay. I will be getting parts withing the next 2 weeks.

I believe a while ago I was quoted around $1200 from Kooks.

I also looked into getting a flange CNC made then make the headers, but guess what, to do the CNC flange I was getting quoted $500 and they wanted a head to measure from, not a gasket or exhaust manifold. So always seems there is no inexpensive way out unless you go buy a Mustang.

i'm sure there is tons of "interest" but as there is already an expensive option available, it would have to be priced right to actually get any buyers.

Exactly my point. Why go to Kooks or Headman and pay major overhead. If I can pull it off for half that I think it would be a good buy. A full 2.5 inch cat back for half the price of Magnaflow, it would sell well I think. I'm going more budget friendly but with great quality.

I would probably buy a set if they came out at $500 or less. So that is my level of interest.

Not only do you have the price to contend with, the installation is also an issue. Of the handful of people you will have willing to shell out for the headers, only a fraction of them will be capable of installing or having them installed.

Of the handful of people you will have willing to shell out for the headers, only a fraction of them will be capable of installing or having them installed.

i would think that anyone who would order online and pay out to have custom header made, would not have a problem finding a place to have them installed. a lot of places will say no, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one that will, you might not like the price, but that is part of the game when you cant turn your own wrenches.

i would think that anyone who would order online and pay out to have custom header made, would not have a problem finding a place to have them installed. a lot of places will say no, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one that will, you might not like the price, but that is part of the game when you cant turn your own wrenches.

Pretty much that. I can turn wrenches but I prefer to have people do the annoying things I no longer want or like to do. This is usually things like oil changes, detailing, and other simple maintenance type things. Call it lazyness funded by disposable income if you want.

I do enjoy doing things that are either new and untested like my brake upgrade or require a lot of thinking to figure out like my s-type R suspension swap, but I still have to see the value in it when I am done. I am not in love enough with the LS to justify spending $1200 in headers for an expected 30-hp gain. I just don't think I will get that kind of return from it. In contrast, I have no problem spending $1500 on a set of coil-overs or $2500 do so an s-type R brake/suspension upgrade or $2000 for a super-charger setup from an STR. Those just require time that I unfortunately don't have at the moment and a second vehicle for a daily driver that I haven't bought yet. Just trying to bring myself to accept that Lincoln doesn't have anything I want anymore so that I can accept buying something else. Sometimes it sucks being a fanboy :(

You know, when I had the time to do all these things I was broke. Now that I have the money to do all these things, I don't have the time. Funny how that works. But that's ok, if all goes well then in 5 years I'll have an abundance of both and can be as eccentric as I want. :)

Members online

Back