MK VIII owner looking

Fatmac

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
You may think I'm in the wrong section, but not. I'm just trying to get a idea on the reliability of the LS. I bought my 95 MK VIII with 170M on it and now have
251M. Sure I've had to do some repairs @ 17 years somethings do break. Overall it has been a great car for $2000. Which year would be the best buy?
Jack

An 06 would be the way to go for all the little problems that they had. Your going to spend more than $2000 though.

as with most things, the newer, the more reliable they tend to be.

also if your not looking for the most power, the V6 also tends to be a little more reliable (however some of the same problems are a little more involved to repair) (but ironicly not really much better on millage)

even at their worse, both of my LS have been a little bit more reliable than my mark was.

I think that you'll find that the LS is fairly reliable. The problems that it does have are fairly will documented. The best years are 2006 to 2004. The problem that you will find is that replacement parts are getting harder and harder to get.

as with most things, the newer, the more reliable they tend to be.

also if your not looking for the most power, the V6 also tends to be a little more reliable (however some of the same problems are a little more involved to repair) (but ironicly not really much better on millage)

even at their worse, both of my LS have been a little bit more reliable than my mark was.

I would personally stay away from the V6 as there is not a significant difference in reliability and gas mileage and a noticable difference in pick up.

I think that you'll find that the LS is fairly reliable. The problems that it does have are fairly will documented. The best years are 2006 to 2004. The problem that you will find is that replacement parts are getting harder and harder to get.

This.

The main issues are COPs but cheap if you DIY, DCCV and degas bottle. Like any car you keep up with maintaince you should have a reliable car, but also with any car there are some that just seem to have more problems then most.

As someone who came from a Mark into an LS and actually had both until recently I would say you should enjoy the LS. A Gen2 LS should be roughly as quick as your Gen1 Mark stock for stock and IMHO handles much better. It is a remarkably well balance car for what it is.

Not ragging on the OP at all, but it's funny how a few of the Mark VIII guys are looking at the LS these days. Probably because they can be had for pretty cheap now. lol

I think its just got to the point that all the good Marks and parts are getting harder and harder to find.

I think its just got to the point that all the good Marks and parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Hit the nail on the head. I'm 16 and I got a 95 mark, my dad gave it to me. I love the car but parts are a pita to find when needed. New front bags for a mark viii are almost 900 bucks, not adding in the compressor, solenoids, ride sensors and other needed things. Its ridiculous but i still love the car. If i had the money I'd get a 06 LS V8 without hesitation.

I have a Gen I with over 200k. No engine problems whatsoever. COPs are a usual culprit as is the degas bottle. The engine is stout, it's just everything around it becomes a problem after a while. And just now at over 200k I am having some tranny issues. Two lifetimes out of a LS is great, especially the problematic tranny that the Gen I has. I have some upgrades in the works, but as always, money slows everything down when you have a family.;)

Thanks for all the input Guys. I know I was lucky to find my MK VII. To you 95mark8newyork, if you are looking for parts try other sections of this forum. Also you might try some salvage yards. I found a set of front bags for 35 bucks. I had to pull them myself not that hard. Here in the Atlanta area the place I go is called PullAPart. As much fun as going to the hardware store.
All have a nice Holiday, and Thank a Vet!
Jack

Hit the nail on the head.

figured, back just a few years, when i had my 94, they could be found everywhere. nice ones to buy, and good parts ones in yards all the time. now, the only time you find them its either beat up and never taken care of, or stripped of everything of value in the yards.

ive been trying to keep my eye out for the right 98 LSC, but you dont really see too many around anymore (well worth buying anyways)

Members online

No members online now.
Back