I need a motor.....

jerryd

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2000 ls v8. After I bought the car I replaced the ball joints, 4 of the ignition coils, and the rear sway bars. Then the other night ( after about 2 weeks of driving it) the engine totally crapped out on me. Can anyone help point me in the right direction towards a replacement affordable motor.

I just recently bought a 2000 ls v8. After I bought the car I replaced the ball joints, 4 of the ignition coils, and the rear sway bars. Then the other night ( after about 2 weeks of driving it) the engine totally crapped out on me. Can anyone help point me in the right direction towards a replacement affordable motor.

or just a donor car... someone selling one thats wrecked / parting out.. check CL around you..

+1 on the problem

basically major components in the block shattered. I don't know much about engines so
I can't name the specifics

When i started it it sounded like popcorn in the block . My mechanic took it apart and showed me the shattered metal

Ah, probably busted connection rod, or maybe rings. You may just need a block and lower half internals.

Another option is to buy another Lincoln LS for you, and part out or sell this car. Might be easier and maybe cheaper too...

Found out the initial problem was the timing gear shattered and sent shrapnel into to all my other gearing.

Yup these are interference motors and a busted chain can screw things up really bad.

and are there any other motors that i could swap for a similar price but a power boost

and are there any other motors that i could swap for a similar price but a power boost

Not really, you can swap motors. No matter what people tell you it can be done. But you have to put something like and LS1,2... or a 5.0 to make it worth the money. But to answer the question can you do it for about the same money? Not unless you already have the other engine, tranny, and harness. If you have all that then it can be done, but there may be a lot of issues to come along with that. Look up the 302 swapped ls and the LSX threads. Maybe helpful to you if you want to look at that option.

anyone know how much a new motor would run me?

For my replacement under warranty (spun bearing), the dealer charged Ford about $6000, and that was reusing my top end and accessories. Yours sounds worse. New is not your option.

I was considering buying another ls that maybe has been wrecked in the back or something but the motor is good and swapping body parts from mine. What parts are interchangeable between models?

if the body is F'ed up, you would be much better off switching the motors, unibody cars are hard to make right again after a big wreak.

Range Rover 4.4 06+ crank, connecting rods, and pistons. Have them bore the block to take care of the walls and to accept the bigger pistons. Get some used LS V8 heads off ebay and put it all back together. Stroked and bored LS. More horses. And before anyone starts in on me, I have been doing extensive reasearch on this whole issue with the Jag guys, the main reason I haven't been on here that much. 3.9 destroked 4.0 4.2 is a stroked 4.0. 4.4 is a bored 4.2 with the same stroke. The deck heights are all the same. The crank was milled to accept the new stroke, the deck height was never changed. All the pistons except for the 4.4 are 86mm. The SC 4.2 used forged pistons 9:1 aluminum alloy @ 86mm, but the 4.2 block had oil squirters for piston cooling. All cranks were cast not forged, with the exception of the Aston Martin, which can't be used. They still sell SC pistons for the 4.2 labeled under Range Rover as they still produce the 4.2 SC for that SUV. The cam profiles for the LS, S-Type, Xj, and XK are actually very aggressive mind you, hence why no one has made aftermarket cams for these cars, plus the cam would end up eating a tappet or bucket. A crank would run around 700-750. Rods would be $1000, and Pistons anywhere from 60-100 bucks. I'd stick with an NA setup just to be safe and save money. Jaguar is very economical with the way they do their motors. They are notorious for stroking motors, hence the reason for all the AJ series. The 5.0 is a no go because it's a different block design. Still an AJV8 but with a whole different attitude.

I've been through this same deal last year and actually just shared that in a thread last week and between pricing used and reman. Engines its seems to me I put an extra grand and it comes with a warranty 100k/3yrs instead of putting almost 2k at an engine that can just do the same thing and go to :q:q:q:q a month or so later... Cheapest one I found and feel comfortable with is about 2700 with a 300 core charge so that's the route I'm going I figured either way I was gonna be out some money so might as well spend the money and have something with a warranty and no car,payment or chance of a different vehicle dying a couple months later

I just recently had my motor replaced for the same problem. Secondary timing chain tensioner went and bent the valves. Called a few local salvage yards and one found me a motor with 86k on it for $1500 plus $900 to put it in. biggest thing to remember when doing a motor swap is to have them replace the timing chain and tensioner while the motor is out on the new engine as it is easier to do with it out of the car. I have had the new motor in since December and all is good so far. Check www.car-part.com for an engine or try LKQ.

is there anyway to make it work?

If you took the top half of a gen I (2000-2002) engine and put it on the bottom half of the 2005, that should work. Unfortunately, you top half is damaged based on your description of the problem.

The basic reasons this swap won't work are:

1. Gen II has variable valve timing. Your gen I PCM won't know what to do about that.

2. Gen II has electronic throttle. Your gen I PCM won't know what to do about that, and you don't have an electronic gas pedal.

3. The Gen II PCM uses CAN bus, but the gen I car does not. This means you can't swap in the gen II PCM either.

4. Gen I has a slightly different transmission than gen II.

Lower block swap will work. I know a few jag guys that used the LS short block on their S-Types because they are cheaper.

Members online

No members online now.
Back