Skinny Fitness

KStromberg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been going to LA Fitness for a year. Over the last 12 months it has been a learning process for me. I am now a year into my routine. I am 6'5" tall and weigh 200#, so I am tall and skinny. I am an ectomorph (hard-gainer) body type. It's going to take some time, but the results are in so far. Check it out:

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=236733&postcount=29

Over the next year I am going to focus on intensity of routine and my diet (which I have all along) but I think I need to look over what I am eating again and see where my caloric intake level is at. I need to be at about 3500-4000 calories a day to bulk. Yes, I am an ectomorph bodybuilder. I am excited to see what this next year brings. This is another one of my hobbies just like my car. I have decided to make it a way of life and I have never felt better.

Stop trying to bulk up you will be making you car slower :)

Well, if I gain another 100# then I have effectively lost a tenth in the quarter but by then I'll be so big I just might break out my mighty HE-MAN oars to help it go faster! :D

Well, if I gain another 100# then I have effectively lost a tenth in the quarter but by then I'll be so big I just might break out my mighty HE-MAN oars to help it go faster! :D

at the point, you should probably make that 2nd gen a pedal car..
you can go faster AND exercise!! :eek:

:D

Legs! :eek::p:D

Legs-13months.jpg

I have flamingo legs, but I'm working hard on changing that.;) I think they're starting to teardrop on the inside. Skinny genetics will not overpower me. :D

Biceps:

Biceps-13months.jpg

And a disgusting reminder of where I was 13 months ago:

Week0.jpg

About 6 weeks ago:

1year.jpg

I have recently increased my intake by quite a bit. I eat about 6x per day and my post-workout meal is about 100 grams worth of protein/carbohydrates.

trade places with you. i am 6ft5 and 310... i need to go the other way. but building muscle is easy for me. dropping pounds is hard

trade places with you. i am 6ft5 and 310... i need to go the other way. but building muscle is easy for me. dropping pounds is hard

Yeah, I hear ya man. and that's the challenging part too is cutting while trying to bulk. It gets to be a fine line for some people where they start bulking (building muscle) and they get an unwanted layer of fat that almost defeats the purpose during the process. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with any of those issues, but I am eating well, working out at a high intensity, and taking a pre-workout supplement that sends me to the moon.

Awesome. Way to stick with it. How much protien are you taking in daily? Have you had a fat test done? What is your diet?

I use to be a certified personal trainer. I am currently bulking up. I take in between 150 to 200 grams of protien daily. On some days I make myself eat ot drink a protein shake.

Started Dec 27th. Went in Jan 7th for a fat test. 6ft @ 215lbs at 13.5% bodyfat, 185lbs of lean muscle mass. I am small frame. So I carry a lot of muscle. My biceps measured @ 16.5 inches.

In 5 weeks, I took another fat test. 218lbs @ 13.5% bosyfat, 188.5lbs lean muscle mass. Trainer/owner of the gym was shocked that I put on 3.5lbs of muscle so quickly. Arms measured 17 1/8 inches then.

I have been big in the past. Muscle memory is a great thing.

I do 4 days on, 2 days off usually. Chest/triceps & back/biceps. No legs. I squat lift everything at work and spent 4-8 hours on my feet moving stuff. Plus, I run. Do three or four 5ks(3.1 miles) yearly.

Been taking creatine on days I workout. Been getting some really good results too.

Awesome. Way to stick with it. How much protien are you taking in daily? Have you had a fat test done? What is your diet?

I use to be a certified personal trainer. I am currently bulking up. I take in between 150 to 200 grams of protien daily. On some days I make myself eat ot drink a protein shake.

Started Dec 27th. Went in Jan 7th for a fat test. 6ft @ 215lbs at 13.5% bodyfat, 185lbs of lean muscle mass. I am small frame. So I carry a lot of muscle. My biceps measured @ 16.5 inches.

In 5 weeks, I took another fat test. 218lbs @ 13.5% bosyfat, 188.5lbs lean muscle mass. Trainer/owner of the gym was shocked that I put on 3.5lbs of muscle so quickly. Arms measured 17 1/8 inches then.

I have been big in the past. Muscle memory is a great thing.

I do 4 days on, 2 days off usually. Chest/triceps & back/biceps. No legs. I squat lift everything at work and spent 4-8 hours on my feet moving stuff. Plus, I run. Do three or four 5ks(3.1 miles) yearly.

Been taking creatine on days I workout. Been getting some really good results too.

Thanks. I'm not sure where I'm at specifically number wise on my protein intake, but I need a whole lot of it. And I mean a lot. I still could be behind on my diet, but I haven't logged it lately to see but I have increased my intake. I eat 6 meals a day. I haven't had a body fat test done, so I don't know what my lean body weight is, but I was told by a bodybuilder who frequents the gym I go to that I should consume 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of carbohydrates per pound of lean body weight. So if for example I am at 180# lean body weight, that equates to 360 grams of protein and 360 grams of carbohydrates daily.

My postworkout meal (evening) is generally about 100 grams of each. I have been eating lots of steak/chicken, and white rice with veggies. During the day at work I generally get a smaller meal in at 10 AM, and 2:30 PM. Bagels with peanut butter is a common inbetweeny filler meal for me at those times typically with a banana and 2 hard boiled eggs and a glass of whole milk.

My supplements are Glutamine, BCAAS, Iso 100 Dymatize brand Protein, and C4 Extreme pre-workout supplement. I also take a multivitamin and 2 fish oil capsules daily.

My routine is a push-pull-legs split routine. Chest/Tris/Shoulders on one day, Back/Biceps on another and the last day is Legs. I take rest days in between, but sometimes I go 3 days in a row. It all depends on how I feel. Lately I have been switching my routine up entirely every couple of weeks for some muscle confusion and I have seen some big gains in strength. My body has been recovering very quickly and if I hit a particular muscle group on a Sunday, I am typically ready to hit that same group again on Wednesday.

Last week I successfully maxed 205# on the flat bench. I started off 13 months ago barely being able to finish a set at 95#. This last Saturday, I hit 215#. Tomorrow I am going for 220# and if I'm feeling ambitious I might even go for 4 plates and call it 225#.

I currently weigh 213# in my birthday suit. Looking back on my progress, it's amazing how far I've came.

Here is some progress on my legs that I have been really happy with lately. My legs have seemed to grown a lot in just the last couple months. The outer definition has came within just the last couple months and adding hack squats has helped. It's hard to see from the lighting here in the photo, but by the end of this year, I'll bet I will have some pretty good teardrops on the inside of my legs. I have been putting myself through a CRIPPLING legs routine:
Legs4-1-12.jpg

I wish I could explain how skinny of a guy I really am. I mean I have always been a rail. There has been no such thing as bulky people in my family, and when I start to see these changes take place from the 100% effort and failure that I put myself through at the gym, I am all of a sudden amazed and realize that it is possible if a person sticks with it and gives all of themselves.

Believe it or not, one day I want to be on stage. Whether it happens or not is yet to be determined, but in my own mind I am one of these guys every time I hit the gym. I may not be there yet physically, but mentally, I am a warrior.

You shouldn't take in more then 50 grams of protein per serving. The body can only process 50 grams at once. Anything more will just go right through your system and be wasted. Great source of protein and little to no fat is fish. I eat a lot of tuna. I do prefer turkey. My fav.:rolleyes: If you need any ideas for meals, PM me. I have all sorts of meal tips.

Eating 5/6 times a day will keep your metabilism burning at a high rate. Your body is constantly processing food. It will get to the point it is burning more energy/calories processing the food then amount of energy/calories it is taking in.

On your bench press, are you reping with 205lbs? Or are doing it twice? I go for strength and size. On my power exercises(bench press, incline bench, decline bench, chest press) I do 1 or 2 sets of 6-8 reps. Third & fourth sets 10-12 reps lighter weight. Just getting the last rep or two. The fifth and final set, I do 12 reps with a good weight that really burns. No cheating on form. You want ti to burn like hell. But still be able to do 12 reps. If your REALLY want a challenge, on bench press put your feet up on the bench, knees together. Prevents you from cheating by pushing with your hips and legs. Makes your chest and triceps do ALL the work. Great for balance and core strength. You can also do it on flat bench dumbells. Long term effect, your strength and ballance will increase and your bench will go up faster. I try to add weight on my bench every other week. Whether it be 5 or 10 pounds. I try to challenge myself and my workout partner.

From reading your discriptions. Sound to me you are "small frame". Can you take your thumb and pointer finger of your left hand and wrap them around your right wrist and touch? If so, you are small frame. I am small frame. Takes a LOT of work to put muscle on a small frame. It sucks.

i started P90X 4 or 5 days ago, holy :q:q:q:q it kicks your ass, its no joke. i'm going to be doing it 6 days a week for 90 days, can't wait to see results!

You shouldn't take in more then 50 grams of protein per serving. The body can only process 50 grams at once. Anything more will just go right through your system and be wasted. Great source of protein and little to no fat is fish. I eat a lot of tuna. I do prefer turkey. My fav.:rolleyes: If you need any ideas for meals, PM me. I have all sorts of meal tips.

Eating 5/6 times a day will keep your metabilism burning at a high rate. Your body is constantly processing food. It will get to the point it is burning more energy/calories processing the food then amount of energy/calories it is taking in.

On your bench press, are you reping with 205lbs? Or are doing it twice? I go for strength and size. On my power exercises(bench press, incline bench, decline bench, chest press) I do 1 or 2 sets of 6-8 reps. Third & fourth sets 10-12 reps lighter weight. Just getting the last rep or two. The fifth and final set, I do 12 reps with a good weight that really burns. No cheating on form. You want ti to burn like hell. But still be able to do 12 reps. If your REALLY want a challenge, on bench press put your feet up on the bench, knees together. Prevents you from cheating by pushing with your hips and legs. Makes your chest and triceps do ALL the work. Great for balance and core strength. You can also do it on flat bench dumbells. Long term effect, your strength and ballance will increase and your bench will go up faster. I try to add weight on my bench every other week. Whether it be 5 or 10 pounds. I try to challenge myself and my workout partner.

From reading your discriptions. Sound to me you are "small frame". Can you take your thumb and pointer finger of your left hand and wrap them around your right wrist and touch? If so, you are small frame. I am small frame. Takes a LOT of work to put muscle on a small frame. It sucks.

Thanks for the pointers. I was at 205#X1. Let me tell ya, I have been going through a burst of strength lately. The last 3 weeks I have been going up 5# every time on my PR on flat bench. This last Saturday I am now up to 225#X1 and more than likely I will put up 230# this next time which would be possibly tomorrow depending on how I feel. I've been switching up my routine constantly now every couple weeks and it is seeming to be working. Currently on my bench, I just started 3X5 sets to trigger some increase even further on my bench, and tomorrow I think I will cycle off the hammer strength machines and do incline and decline bench press.

I have been doing a 12-9-6 routine on my sets. It really all depends though. If I'm feeling really strong I may do more than 3 sets but I generally like to end my last set with a weight I can barely put up anywhere from 4-6x.

i started P90X 4 or 5 days ago, holy :q:q:q:q it kicks your ass, its no joke. i'm going to be doing it 6 days a week for 90 days, can't wait to see results!

Wait till you get to the pliometrics.:eek: I did it. Made through the whole workout first try. It was killer. Felt great the next day. Two and three days later, my legs were killing me. Quads hurt. Calfs hurt. I could barely walk without feeling pain.

Thanks for the pointers. I was at 205#X1. Let me tell ya, I have been going through a burst of strength lately. The last 3 weeks I have been going up 5# every time on my PR on flat bench. This last Saturday I am now up to 225#X1 and more than likely I will put up 230# this next time which would be possibly tomorrow depending on how I feel. I've been switching up my routine constantly now every couple weeks and it is seeming to be working. Currently on my bench, I just started 3X5 sets to trigger some increase even further on my bench, and tomorrow I think I will cycle off the hammer strength machines and do incline and decline bench press.

I have been doing a 12-9-6 routine on my sets. It really all depends though. If I'm feeling really strong I may do more than 3 sets but I generally like to end my last set with a weight I can barely put up anywhere from 4-6x.

I suggest you do flat dumbells then incline dumbells for awhile. Use heavy dumbells 4 sets of 10-12 reps. You have been doing bench for so long. Time to switch it up. Take two or three weeks off your bench exercises. Do some heavy dumbell work then go back to the bench exercises. You will see your bench go up immediately.

Key to getting big is CONTRACTION. The more blood you squeeze into the muscle. The bigger you get. At the peek of every rep, you want to squeeze/flex the muscle. By squeezing or flexing the muscle, you are forcing blood into it. You will notice an increase in size as you workout. In other words, you will swell up. People call the "pump". I can put almost a 1/2" on my arm in a single workout from sqeezing blood into the muscle.

Here is my workout.

CHEST & TRICEPS

Chest:
strength exercises ~ flat bench & incline bench ~ I do one or the other. Never both in the same workout.
warm up set to stetch
12-15 reps x45 (the bar)
6-8 reps x 1 or 2 set ~ heavy weight
10-12 reps x 2 sets ~ decrease enough to where you are barely getting the last two reps.
12 reps x 1 set ~ The last set, you want a weight that you can do, but burns with every rep.

Dumbells ~ incline, flat, decline ~ If I do flat bench, then I do incline dumbells. If I do incline bench, then I do flat dumbells
12 reps x 4 seta ~ Flat dumbells put your feet up on the bench. Knees together. Keeps you from cheating. Perfect form. Incline dumbells, good form full range.

Pec-Dec or cable-crossovers
12 reps x 4 sets

Total of 13 sets for chest.

Triceps:
strength exercise ~ skull crushers, inside grip bench, dips, bench dips ~ I do 2 of the 4 every workout. I always change it up. Bench dips: If you have some one to help, put weights across your thighs for extra weight.
12 reps x 4 sets

secondary exercises ~ rope extensions, push downs, kickbacks ~ I have a few other exercises. All they do is switch the angle that I hit the triceps.
12 reps x 4 sets

Total of 12 sets for triceps.

BACK & BICEPS:

Back:
strength exercise ~ seated row, chin pulldowns, t-bar row, lat pulldown ~ Anyone of the first 3 first. If you do lat pulldowns, always them do last. Work your traps first then the lats. You will spread your back out wider by doing them in this order. Inside to outside.
12 reps x 1 set ~ warm up set to stetch
10 reps x 2 sets
12 reps x 3 sets

secondary exercises ~ upright rows, shoulder shruggs, reverse flies, pullovers, one arm rows ~ Any 2 of these exercises. ~ Shoulder shruggs with dumbells. Turn your palms out. It isolates your traps/neck better.
12 resp x 4 sets

Total of 16 sets for back.

Biceps:
Key to biceps is the contraction. You NEED to squeeze at the peek of each rep.
Strength exercises ~ preacher bar curl(machine or free weights), hammer curls(bar or cable)
10-12 reps x 4 sets

secondary exercises ~ alternate dumbells(sitting or standing ~ regular or hammer)
12 reps(per arm) x 4 sets

peek exercises ~ concentration culrs(dumbells or cable), standing bicep flex
12 reps(per arm) x 4 sets

Total of 12 sets for biceps.

The minute I get home. Protien shake. You MUST feed your body immediately. Your muscles will be dying for it.

Wait till you get to the pliometrics.:eek: I did it. Made through the whole workout first try. It was killer. Felt great the next day. Two and three days later, my legs were killing me. Quads hurt. Calfs hurt. I could barely walk without feeling pain.

Haha i know, i did that and it was a killer no doubt. I'm still sore, my quads don't hurt as much as they did after i finished the video but my calfs are really hurting lol. It hurts to walk, every step i take i feel the pain in my calfs. I've decided to do away with P90X, i'm getting bored fast of watching the same guy on tv every day. So i came up with a summer workout program, lots of cardio and lifting. The lifting is going to be to get lean and cut not bulk up, thats what winters for. I'm making everything 3 sets and 12-20 reps. At the rate i'm going, as far as not eating as much food and eating better :q:q:q:q, once i start this ill drop weight pretty quick. i can't wait to see results.

Man I want to get back in the gym so bad. Great work so far dude, if you want to shed more fat, try CLA from any vitamin shop, it protects your muscle tissue while burning fat, all "Fat Burn" products burn muscle as well, taking this will prevent that.

I lost all my "before" pics ;(

When I took this pic my diet was Drained tuna in water, celery, Gala apples and wheat ..that was pretty much all I ate for about 2 months
jeremy.jpg

I'm 6'2 195lb

Good results!

I need to get to back to the gym myself. This was the biggest i had ever been. I think this was in 2006? Around the same time i had came off active duty the first time:

2inrqg.jpg

I was around 215 pounds about 15% body fat. About a 36" waistline and at 6 feet tall. Was benching around 350 and working my way towards 400lbs on free weights. Right now im at around 260 something, ive really let myself go. but im also a bit older. I think if i could get down to 230 i would be ok for now.

Man, I envy you guys that can do all of that excersise. All I can manage is walking around the truck a few times a day and then walking around in the Wal-Mart watching the two legged deer.

1st picture 1991, me at 21 yrs old. I had 6% body fat, 165lbs. Diet ~ no salt, no sugar, no red meat for 6 months.

2nd picture 2012, me at 42 yrs old(just took it). I am at 13% body fat, 218lbs. Diet ~ I watch what I eat. No junk food. Cut fast food to a minimum. Not as strict as I should be.

21 yrs old.jpg

000_0022_edited-1.jpg

Having some fat when you get older is good because it helps smooth out the wrinkles. Jk I know its not as healthy.

I have had some tendon issues lately that have subsided. I'm still wrapping them for safety. But, I'm still growing! My upper body is definitely showing more growth and I have actually noticed and felt some muscle beginning to fill in around my collar bones. Some upper chest formation is in the works. :D This is way too addicting and I love my new lifestyle so much more that all I can imagine is getting bigger and bigger. Mark my words: I will compete on stage in the future. Don't know how long it will be but I have a lot of work to do. A long ways to muscle maturity.

I have always called myself an ectomorph bodybuilder. From the day that I decided to make this part of my life until the day that I am standing up on stage. I set lofty goals and I struggle for them. It's funny because I have people on Facebook that started off being generally bored by my progress photos. Slowly but surely as time went on, one by one I get comments from people that are just awe struck how far I have came in just over a year that finally couldn't hold it in any longer. It makes me feel good hearing things like that! But compliments or not, I will continue moving forward.

15monthpose.jpg

This thread has made for some good reading, and education.
Sadly, my body has succumbed to old age, and neglect.
Ever since I were a teenager (way ,way to many years ago) I always had a fairly decent body.
Most would call it buff, as opposed to that of a body builder.
I started lifting weight at the age of fourteen.
Not the traditional weights, but the weight customary with working on a farm.(heavy bails of hay, farm equipment, metal 55 gallon barrels with food for hogs etc.)
Back then, and until my late thirties, I did have a great body, but as I stated, time and age had taken it's toll.
I started lifting weights at home (in my early sixties, and it wasn't long before I had that buff body back again.
Well time, age,and just plain laziness has once again turned to loose muscles, and unwanted fat,so, once again, (now at 73) I am back to mild workouts, with much less weight, to help get this old bod back in shape.
In the week I have been at it, I see results in muscle tone , especially in the arms.
Now, one BIG problem I need to tackle is the amount of fat just below my rib cage.
I see this on a lot on older guys.
It almost seems like a trademark of older dudes.
It isn't the stomach area, but just above the stomach.
My question is, how the hell do I get rid of this section of body fat, short of liposuction?
Is there some excersize I can do to get rid of it?
Most would probably say, at 73, why bother?
I answer, because I care.
I don't feel like a 73 year old guy, I don't think like a 73 year old guy, and I sure as hell don't want to look like a 73 year old guy any more.
I know I have a way's to go to look like I want, but foolishly I allowed myself to get this way, and only diligent dedication to a program is going to give me the results I want.
Where the square is in the picture, is what I am concerned about.
I know how to trim the waist line, but this other area I am lostabout.
Bob.

before 2012.JPG

Bob, you are probably one of the select few your age that are even still physically active. That's impressive and I just wanted to give you props on that. :)

Believe it or not, I have a layer of fat in that region too, but more so of a gut so maybe closer to my waistline? I am still in the process of taking control of this. The problem with me is that I need to eat a lot to accomplish my goals and along with that comes the need for even more control of what I am eating.

What a bodybuilder that I am friends with told me is that I need to focus on DIET and CARDIO. Those are the two main steps to shedding that unwanted fat that you speak of. The ab crunch machines, ab rollers etc. are WORTHLESS he says. He has not EVER used any of them at the gym EVER and has abs and a trim waistline all day every day.

Before every one of his workouts, he will hit the stairmaster for 15 minutes and he also jogs with his wife throughout the week. For you I would suggest also some cardio. Running, treadmill, bike, etc.

As far as diet? Arrgh, I'm still trying to figure this out myself, but as an educated guess I would say lean protein sources, healthy carbs, healthy fat sources, and plenty of fruits and veggies. In a nutshell, don't eat crap.

I hope that helps. I'm still learning.

I thank you for your valuable information.
You are so right about eating all that crappy stuff.
I must admit, I am guilty as charged.
As for cardio, I have a treadmill that has been in the garage since I gave up lifting and excersize back when.
I am going to dig it out, and start using it.
One thing I remember is, when I was lifting, and using the treadmill, I felt really good.
Lots of energy, and never got tired easily.
Already I am starting to feel more "alive" in the short time I am back on the weights.
One thing I have been doing for the last ten years is, I walk about three miles every day with the three shepherds I have owned in that time.
Even with my present shepherd, we still walk roughly three miles every day.
Very rarely do we miss a day.
I couldn't call that a cardio excersize because it is more a casual walk.
Number one on my list has to be a much better choice in diet.
When I stopped lifting in my sixties, I was on mostly fruit and veggies.
Once every two weeks I would eat a broiled hamburger so my bod could have some fat intake.
I have decided to give myself 6 months to get back to what I was.
I took some before pics today, and six months from now I will take some more to see what I have accomplished.
Fortunately for me, I don't smoke, never did any kind of drugs, and never drank , ever.
I smoked when I was younger, but quit when I started feeling crappy.
I have not smoked for about forty years.
For a guy 73 years old, I feel damm good.
I have feeling, and looking good ahead of me, and like every thing I get involved with, I usually succeed.
Thanks again for the info.
Bob.

Members online

Back