OT: Info about Charlotte, NC area.

mharrison

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought that I'd throw it out there and see if any members were familiar with the Charlotte, NC area. My wife has a good job that may be transferring her there, and it would be easier for me to find a job at my current salary there than for her to find a different one here at her current salary.

I may be moving by Aug 1st and need to know what areas to look for houses in. Looking for good schools, low crime, commute to Charlotte area in around 30 minutes, the usual.

Also if anyone has an IT job handy in the Charlotte area that would be GREAT! I can get my credentials to anyone that is interested, but I'm a Windows guy who has done pretty much everything from workstations, servers, SQL admin, Lotus Notes admin, Information Security, Computer Forensics, Policy writing......blah blah blah....

sorry no help but I've been IT in Raleigh and soon to be Greensboro. Only been to Charlotte once but its def. a "big" city. Crime is bad in certain areas and the traffic is HORRENDOUS. Should be a good IT market. Charlotte is a pretty big financial center (corporate home to alot of banks), if that helps. There are areas of Charlotte that are nice. I think you will like. I have a couple of sets of cousins there but don't see them alot.

Gastonia is 30 mins away and is def. "smalltown USA" although Charlotte is inching closer and closer. My father lived there 30 years ago haha. On the other side is Concord, etc. I really don't know much about that part of the state.

If you don't mind a 30 minute commute consider Gastonia, Concord or Pineville. If you want in the city stay in north or south Charlotte. If you don't mind spending a lil cash uptown is nice and convenient to everything.
BTW I live in Gastonia "small town USA" and work in Charlotte. Send me an email with any ?'s.

Rock Hill, south of town just over the border in SC. I did a consulting gig at Bowater Paper near Rock Hill in 1999 and had an apartment there where I stayed during the week. It was a nice little town, but come to think of it, that was 7 years ago. :)

I live almost 30 minutes outside of Charlotte, but it all comes down to the traffic. Almost any road around here that leads to CHarlotte is going to be a nasty route. Nasty meaning bad drivers and just plan old stop and go(during morning commutes and "rush hour.". I am lucky enough to not work in charlotte. There is many areas on my side with low crime and decent places to live. Lets see there is: Mint Hill, Matthews, Indian Trail(where I live), Monroe(right next door, stay away from being in Monroe), Wingate, if you like big houses and have the money there are many developments around this area too.

Where in Charlotte is the wife going to be working? Do you know good if she works on the far side.

Best bet is to get a place near I-485 since it almost circles Charlotte. Independence/Hwy 74 is a decent one that runs right into Charlotte but it gets bad during the rush times.

Be really good to just come here for a day or more and figure it out. We came here a billion of times before moving. I like the area I am in, plenty of stores you need right here, not to mention dealerships(alot moving out this way). Good schools aswell.

I live in Charlotte. I don't know about IT, as I do hardware/software integration (I develop/support the code running inside the IBM 3890XP check sorter).

My brother-in-law owns a software consulting firm, Cedalion Systems.

The traffic in Charlotte sucks. That's why I leave for work at 5 AM, and leave work at 3 PM.

The taxes here suck. If I were moving, I'd consider Fort Mill or Rock Hill, SC. Not only are the taxes less, but they don't have the stupid automobile safety inspections.

I live in charlotte also...hit me at nkbr74@yahoo.com...I can give you some detailed information on areas you may want to look into..I live in the university area of Charlotte and love it out here. This area and huntersville are really growing. If you looking for lower taxes pretty much anything outside of mecklenburg county is a good deal..Be sure to hit me on my personal email for some indepth information. I also work for a company that is currently looking to hire IT and pays very well...

Hey Charlotte guys, I just got back from charlotte tonight. I just got an apartment in charlotte and will be moving down there on july 5th. I don't know anyone in the area so if anyone wants to meet up sometimes I am up for it. I know of a great house that I just turned down, I don't know how much you are looking to spend, it may be in a gay community though.....I just couldn't figure it out.
Eamonn

Well sounds good, we had an apartment when we came down here. Felt so good to get a house after a few months though lol.

Hey Hockey930...I live in charlotte. I down to hang out...I used go to fox and hound downtown quite a bit to check out the chicks....i sent you a message with my info

Forgot to add I am trying to get a NC LS club going. Click on the link in the my sig and go to the bottom of the Page for the messageboard and join in you would like and spread the word, be nice to have weekend/bi-weekend meets and such.

Members online

Back