lincoln ls v8 vs acura cl type s

chocolat1701

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys i was just surfing on the web and i found a thread bashing the LS saying that the cl can whoop the ls v8 now i own a 2004 ls sport and my freind has a cl and i raced him and i beat him by almost 3 cars we did this several times an same thing, now the link to the page is http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43866 take a look and what do you guys think, is this true about the LS or what.

Its funny that this thread came up. I was next to a 03+ CL-S with a 6-speed last night and the kid in the car was laughing. We both launched at the same time and by the time I shifted from 1-2 in SST I was already 1 car ahead of him. I reacted late and over revved the shift and finally got it into 2nd gear. He caught up a tiny bit. After my second gear I had 2 full car lengths on him. I messed up the shift to 3rd by over revving again! (was so pissed) He finally gave up as by 70mph he was too far behind to catch up to me.

I always wanted the CL-S for a while too, but after seeing that last night my feelings really changed against them. Its another car that Honda/Acura pay off all the Car and Driver/Motor Trend staff to hype up the numbers on their cars.

yup i feel the same way - i mean dont get me wrong its a nice car the cl but i think it cant beat a V8 LS --

hey should i make a account on that thread and give them a peace of my mind since obviously they dont know about the LS -- they dont know that a 2003 v8 can do 6.4 to 60

ok i registered to thier site and did a post and i also invited them to post on this site any comments that they wished about the LS vs CL

chocolat1701 said:
hey should i make a account on that thread and give them a peace of my mind since obviously they dont know about the LS -- they dont know that a 2003 v8 can do 6.4 to 60

Some of them didn't have their facts straight, but I didn't really see where they were bashing on the LS. Unless I didn't see some some other posts or something.

Nevertheless the Gen 1 LS will beat em and the Gen 2 LS will absolutely rape them. Hey, put a link to this thread in that forum. hehe. Maybe some good tech talk will result from it. :D

I don't think they bashed the LS at all really. I mean it's an Acura website, so there is obviously going to be a little bias. Hell, according to this website the LS has never lost a race, destroys mustangs and camaros all day. You did realize that thread was over five years old, right?

yea i did but hey its never too late to put my 2 cents in and i did put a link to this thread on their site, and venom-linc your right according to this site we havent lossed a race yet LOL --

I love the LS but according to edmunds a 2001 2-door coupe 3.2L type S comes with 260 hp 232 ft-lbs torque and weighs in around 3500 lbs with a 0-60 in 6.3...compare that to a 2001 4-dr 3.9L LS with 252 hp 267 ft.lbs torque weighing in at a comparable 3600 lbs. but with a stock 0-60 of 7.2 (according to edmunds).

Now 1/4 mile times may differ as the LS gains way more power once it gets rolling but I think 5 years ago (2001) the acura may have been a little quicker. U guys think the LS will make up that much time in 1/4 if those edmunds #'s are correct?

And yea...u guys are totally right about LS owners rarely reporting a loss in this forum or anywhere for that matter.

Obviously I've lost several and I posted a huge list under some forum in here. But who really wants to hear about the LS lose, especially in an LS forum? lol.

Besides, people will always remember someones claims to have won a race more than their admissions of defeat (unless the defeat is really unbelievable). And assuming v-linc was talkin about my post praising the XCal just to make sure we're clear I didnt really destroy that mustang, I just won by about 1 1/2 - 2 cars and Ive never raced a camaro. Every time before that I got my ass handed to me by the stang and honestly I've never beat one on the freeway in an "error-free" race...it is only out of the hole that I have a chance....lol. Like I said, I totally get what you are saying, but honestly I think most of the glory stories reported in automotive forums carry some truth but are simply exaggerated or only partially reported.

Me....I only report the good stuff.. ;0)

Who cares, LS is much more beautiful anyway, I'd rather have that than bragging rights that I go fast in a straight line. I have nothing against Acura's though.

Beamer said:
Who cares, LS is much more beautiful anyway, I'd rather have that than bragging rights that I go fast in a straight line. I have nothing against Acura's though.
Totally agreed. I think the sleek look of the LS is overlooked by the average car buyer. I think it is one of the best looking cars on the road (obviously, you would hope so anyways..lol)

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
Totally agreed. I think the sleek look of the LS is overlooked by the average car buyer. I think it is one of the best looking cars on the road (obviously, you would hope so anyways..lol)

Speaking of the whole looks thing, I actually bothered to wash my LS thoroughly today! I really seen what my wheels look like without all the brakedust on them. I actually bothered to even take a picture of it too. ;) One of these years I will upload them. :shifty:

Well I have an 03 LS and i can tell you my LS does EASILY better than 7sec 0-60. My 95 Ford Taurus SHO did 7.2 with 150,000 miles and all i did to it was underdrive pulleys, and driving both i know my LS will smoke the SHO. Anyway, a portion of a race has to do with the driver but car for car the LS will beat the CL hands down....Gen 1 or Gen 2. If a CL beat an LS well good job you beat gramps.

Whoa whoa, everybody calm down......time for some reality/truth

lscl.jpg
This is a 01 LS V8, and a 03 CL-S (auto).... It has been tried many times in many different situations, the CL-S is just faster. I cant speak for a gen 2 but I'm thinking it's not gonna happen (It may, i dont know). With both in stock form, the CL-S is just more of a car in the straight line. Cant say in the turns, we havent really pushed them competitivley.

Top end rolls, these cars are almost identical.

lscl.jpg

i got the V6 lS and my friend has an 02 CL-S.. we never really ran a 1/4 mile.. but when he uses that triptronic shifting.. he's out.. cant say much about the V8 ls though.. havent seen them run much..

slvrls said:
View attachment 17741
This is a 01 LS V8, and a 03 CL-S (auto).... It has been tried many times in many different situations, the CL-S is just faster. I cant speak for a gen 2 but I'm thinking it's not gonna happen (It may, i dont know). With both in stock form, the CL-S is just more of a car in the straight line. Cant say in the turns, we havent really pushed them competitivley.

Top end rolls, these cars are almost identical.

Now that I look at it again, when driven properly a Gen 1 LS V8 will be very close to beating an Auto CL-S. It would really come down to a drivers race. Both run low, low 15's stock. The high 14 second times you see from the CL-S community are the 6 speed manual times. A Gen 2 LS will have a auto CL-S by close to half a second and will be a tenth or two faster than the manual CL-S both in stock form.

For any of you pre '03 drivers, you really need to drive a Gen2 Ls to appreciate it. My 03 is the only one I have driven, but it's performance is very satisfactory, especially with Torrie's magic running it. :) It's no Mustang GT, Z28 or WS6 but it is a good compromise between luxury and performance which is what it's supposed to be.

chocolat1701 said:
hey guys i was just surfing on the web and i found a thread bashing the LS saying that the cl can whoop the ls v8 now i own a 2004 ls sport and my freind has a cl and i raced him and i beat him by almost 3 cars we did this several times an same thing, now the link to the page is http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43866 take a look and what do you guys think, is this true about the LS or what.

You do realize that post is FIVE YEARS OLD don't you?

i say 8 cylinders is better then 6, so i would put my money on the LS from a roll anytime..

This has been Researched, maybe the CL-S is underestimated

2002_LS_V8 said:
i say 8 cylinders is better then 6, so I would put my money on the LS from a roll anytime..
I have a v8 in the driveway and a 1.3 (Stock) in the garage and I'd put the 1.3 against the v8 in the driveway(without question) any day.. :D

As far as calling a gen1 LS V8 against a CL-S a drivers race...... I don't think so. Put two equal drivers behind these cars and the result is the same. Swap drivers, standing start, different RPM launches, traction, no traction, manual, auto, rolling start from almost every mph up to 30. We played almost every day for 3 months on the way to work, as well as made high speed multi-state runs together. Maybe my LS is just slow, but I don't think that's the case when looking at the other cars I've played with and the results of those encounters. Or maybe the CL-S i've been playing with is just a bastard outta the factory, but I'm thinking that's not the case either.....

Not trying to pick a side, this is just an honest comparison from two guys that work side by side everyday. The LS has it's goods points...... Like doing donuts in the middle of traffic, smoking out the competition ect..ect...(Accident I swear, it was wet)

From 45-50 to whatever (130-140) this is an even race; we haven't been able to shake each other.

We would like to see how the CL-S can hang with a Gen2 LS, any takers near southern Indiana for a friendly race post back, (03 Stock, Auto, Gets slow in 4th (between 115-130) when it falls off the big lobes)

Bushum said:
You do realize that post is FIVE YEARS OLD don't you?

Yes, I was simply making a comment on the Gen1 versus Gen2 LS. Also, comparing a stock 03+ LS with one running a tune from Torrie is interesting as well. Not having ran it down the 1/4 it's all speculation of course, but his tune really makes the 03+ LS a little screamer. :)

i'd like to see a race with the cls and one of the rare manual ls cars. i wonder if that would make a difference? you know stick vs. stick....another thing is the cls has a decent size aftermarket world too, and the ls well we don't have much. plus the cls is a coupe and it's an import which typically have more power than american as much as i hate to say it. i'm not saying a think the ls would smoke the cls or visa versa i just think they are both nice cars, but not really in the same league.

I live near Dayton Ohio and I have a Gen1 LS8 that is tuned out to just about Gen2 specs so where exactly are you from slvrls?

-Scott-

Members online

No members online now.
Back