Running rough...

MKVIIRIP said:
ok so i bought my 95 Mark VIII LSC on 4-21-05 exactly one month after some :q:q:q:q:q:q:q t-boned my 86 Mark VII LSC
anyhow it had 151k on it when i got it.
the front end had been slightly wrecked but poorly reassembled. loser couldnt take care of his mark. but to the point...

sometime after i got it i changed the plugs to the motorcraft plugs.
probably about this(2006) March at the beginning it started stumbling and shuddering and crap like that.
so my first reaction was the transmission.
i went and had it flushed(no solvent) and they put a new filter in and Dextron III/mercon fluid in it...problem didnt go away... no luck.
I then bought a rebuilt Dacco torque converter (cause i couldnt afford an art carr/precision/or edge) but that still didnt solve the problem. i was told to add LubeGuard to it...i did that (that adds friction modifiers, basically makes it equivalent to mercon V) problem still persisted. i then added a tube of Dr.Tranny's shudder fix.
oh and i also have had this shearing sound when the transmission is in park and neutral the whole time ive had the car so i know its not the TC bolts cuz i did those myself and it hasnt gone away.

next i changed the fuel filter.- no luck
i checked the fuel pressure at idle- it was 20 psi at the rail.
the vac was -12psi then i fixed a vac leak...it went up to -15psi steady at idle

the beginning of may 06 i changed to a 255lph BBK/walbro fuel pump...problem still persists.
i pulled air tube and TB and my IAC (to the left of TB) looked pretty clean...(its resistance was 12.7ohms) as were my injectors if i remember correctly.

but the EGR side of the TB (right of it) was pretty clogged, problem though is that i couldnt get the EGR off yet. so i used a screw and unclogged it with small amounts of carb choke cleaner. after this my vacuum went up to -20psi at idle. i need to take it and clean/check it still.

i just ordered a set of MSD Superconductor wires....
----I NEED A ROUTING DIAGRAM PLEASE (pyro69_2001@yahoo.com)---- because i hear from my friend with a 97 cobra that these engines are reallly picky about how you run your plug wires. so help ASAP would be awesome.

the only other things i havent checked were the backpressure and O2 sensors and coil packs (that i can think of)
i wasnt able to get ahold of the ford scan tool (only the snap-on) which read an EGR code and also High exhaust pressure...
it now has 170k miles

HELP

at 170K those orginal O2's and coils probably aren't doing their job. They are WAY past due to change. Changing those parts will do u good even if it's not the overall problem.

unityerased, you really need to fix the leaking oil problem first. Buying all these other parts won't help if the plugs are continually fouled with oil.

i need a new job

naw, i already changed the fuel pump. but good thought

also, hmm coil packs= 75 a piece x2
O2 Sensors= 75 a piece x2

im gonna start with those msd wires like i said and see where that takes me...i still swear that i smell some kinda slight burning from the transmission, plus ever since i changed my TC ive been noticing an exhaust leak coming inside the car....in faaact..i ran seafoam through the vac. line coming out of the middle of the plenum and i got in my car and smoke was coming from under the drivers side dash or steering column...not sure which it was but its bad kinda.

Sounds like an exhaust leak from the egr tube, i am experiencing this right now and it makes the car idle and run real rough. Not to mention it sounds horrible. I just need someone to send me a nice EGR tube so I can fix it.

vr4 said:
autolite=motorcraft. period.

bosch are the worst plugs for ANY ford. then champions. dont run anything other than autolite or motorcraft.
FUHK BOSCH THEY R CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i had the platnum+2 in my 97 t-bird 4.6 mostly stock (removed airsilencer and other things but no motor mods) while i was driving through nowhere and the electrode fell out in the #4 cly, JUST FELL OUT WELL MORE LIKE IN, and stuck the exhaust valve open i ripped the whole eng down fearing the worst and found that the electrode was trying to go back out and the valve shut on it i checked all the other plugs, the car wasent running lean or anything that would cause the plug to break, took pics of everything full documented all recepts, contacted bosch and asked to get re-embursed for just the plugs and gaskets (being a ford tech really has its advantages) i told them i could send them all the plugs back so they can inspect them, they didnt care at all, didnt want the pics, plugs or anything. i like in parts stores they have the little bosch display that explanes their warrenty so i asked the kid behind the counter about it and he said to contact bosch. ive also had to fix 3 different ford vehicles with ANY kind of bosch plug that have blown out the porclin part out of the steel sleeve, if a car comes in with bosch plugs i rec. them even if they are brand new and show the cust my old plugs and explain what happeded and they say what about bosch's warrenty and i laugh and say u try to get anywhereargue2

chickenviii said:
if a car comes in with bosch plugs i rec. them even if they are brand new and show the cust my old plugs and explain what happeded and they say what about bosch's warrenty and i laugh and say u try to get anywhereargue2

same here. if i see bosch i P&A plugs. period. i dont care what the concern is.

im also a ford tech;)

vr4 said:
same here. if i see bosch i P&A plugs. period. i dont care what the concern is.

im also a ford tech;)

P&A? Pull and Analyse?

I'm not a Ford Tech.

Would appreciate a little help w/ the Abbrev.

ah-ha

well, staffamerica74...it sounds like you may be onto something....i have not noticed the increase in volume but what i also didnt mention is .....
right after me and my friend changed my torque converter i noticed an exhaust smell in the interior....
i couldnt/cant find a leak...i also ran seafoam and was getting white smoke coming from under my dash/steering column. and yes it is definitely running/idling pretty oddly. whats your best reccomendation on how to get that egr tube out and who could get me a new one (or should i just weld up the old one?

this may not be the ONLY problem though, because it ran poorly before i changed the TC so i just added to the problem i say. like i said, let me see what these wires do.

nobody gonna help me with that diagram??

I was talking to my friend who is a mechanic and is diagnosing a 95' MarkVIII. He said on one other one that was doing the same bad idle deal as this one is doing had a different kind of problem. Anyway he said the first one had a bad injector as this one may also have. He will have to do a scan with his snap on tool to tell which one is bad or something to that extent?

I am thinking if my car has a bad injector it would almost be better to just replace them all and not pick out the bad one since they are all a bit long in the tooth :confused:

injectors i guess

hmm yes i am gonna get to that...right now its all stock except for k&n filter, removed air silencer and other plastic :q:q:q:q, equivalent of mercon V fluid, walbro 255lph fuel pump, and whatever else i forgot.
i have a lot of parts i am putting in before then...specifically 3.73 gears, tranny rebuild, full valve train, pulleys, 2500 stall, maybe some 3/4 kooks headers, an x pipe still, new coil towers, msd 6al, chip, MAF, slighte port matching and cobra plenum, etc...what injectors would someone reccomend for a N/A setup like this? i dont have the computer resources right now, so there will be no fine tuning right now...just a general area. but like i said i tested the first 4 injectors, because that was all i could reach for now and they all tested the same 12.7 ohms or whatever it was. so unless the mechanial part of them is clogged (which i doubt because i have run two or three different cleaners and i started running lucas again) so yeah...im putting the wires on tomorrow along with some autolite coppers...ill let yall know what happens

That was kind of one of my problems with my Mark. I bought it as a non inspectionable vehicle cause the Cel light was on for the engine and the ABS.

I replaced the IAC and then took out the ABS light to get it to pass inspection but the Cel light came back on after it was idling rough during cold weather. I went out and got a OBDII scanner off EBAY cause I was sick of bugging my friend to use his at work. So when I checked the Cel it came up as bank 1 & 2 are running lean.

I can't seem to find a air leak so my friend suggested it could be a bad or clogged injector. This is after I did plugs, wires and the IAC so I don't know if any of these things affected what is happening now :(

Well if it is the EGR tube, i can tell you what ive been told on how to fix it, as i havent found a tube for it yet.

Go underneath the car and find the tube on the drivers side of the car it attaches to or near the cat. Then,cut it off where it bolts to the cat(cut the tube leave the bolt on for now). Then go to the throttle body and pull that off (cover up the intake so nothing drops inside it), pull the rest of the tube out from up there as it bolts on at the top, Then go back under the car and get an adjustable wrench and get the nut off where it bolts to the cat.

Then for installation you are gonna need to find one either on ebay or from a junkyard. Make sure you get one thats in good shape it sucks too badly to keep redoing. Then go under the car again bolt it back on go up top and put it backtogether.

That is how ive been told to replace it.

Staffamerica74 said:
Well if it is the EGR tube, i can tell you what ive been told on how to fix it, as i havent found a tube for it yet.

Go underneath the car and find the tube on the drivers side of the car it attaches to or near the cat. Then,cut it off where it bolts to the cat(cut the tube leave the bolt on for now). Then go to the throttle body and pull that off (cover up the intake so nothing drops inside it), pull the rest of the tube out from up there as it bolts on at the top, Then go back under the car and get an adjustable wrench and get the nut off where it bolts to the cat.

Then for installation you are gonna need to find one either on ebay or from a junkyard. Make sure you get one thats in good shape it sucks too badly to keep redoing. Then go under the car again bolt it back on go up top and put it backtogether.

That is how ive been told to replace it.

By the sounds of all that I think I would just block it off :shifty:

a lot better now

ok so i put the new plug wires on...i think the problem went away...though it still seems to be lagging a little...maybe a seafoam treatment would do it good? i stll get the exhaust smell/leak so i gotta tackle that today.

or for all i know i may need to go ahead and change the EGR, O2 Sensors, Coil packs, and injectors...just because i was going to anyway...im just trying to figure out what would be most beneficial right now cuz i need a new compressor and a few other things.

Members online

No members online now.
Back