vibration in steering wheel and pedels

purelux

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
When driving the car I have noticed a vibration which can be felt in the pedels and through the steering wheel. It is almost like the vibration of say a truck with agressive tires. It is not very noticable until 50+ at which point it is worse the faster you go. If you are going straight or turn the wheel right it is the same, but if turned left it smooths out. Could this be balence, a wheel bearing/hub etc... any ideas?

sorry forgot to add

its a 97 continetal with about 97,000 miles on it.

yup a hub, CV halfshaft, motor mount busted, or needing an alignment (or combination of all these). Went through this all the time with my Integra. Not yet with the Conti. The symptoms you describe would always be the CV halfshaft on the Integra.

A 98 I had with 160k+ vibrated above 60 MPH especially when kicking in the overdrive going up a hill on the highway for more power. I Bought that CV Shaft for $65 at CarQuest. After It was on. All was well. I'm surprized that for such powerfull cars these are, I have yet heard case of bad CV Joints on these cars.

Oddly enough, I had the same problem.

I had a pair of tire defects from firestone. Both the rear tires did something I nor the mechanic from Firestone had ever seen before. The tread actually lifted in several parts of the tires. Normal tread, just some were higher than the rest. Not a wearing problem as if the higher parts were higher because the tread next to it was worn down, but literally, it was higher. Not a bubble either. It was only noticible while trying to balance the tire. The tire could be easily balanced but when you looked at it straight on from the side, you could see higher tread spin by. So when I drove the car at high speeds there was a constant vibration. Almost as if you were driving a small four cylinder not meant to be pushed up to 80 mph. But at lower speeds I guess the continental suspension smoothed the bumping out so it was barely noticible.

Turned out to be both front hubs/bearings the right being much worse, thanks for all the help everyone.

Members online

Back