Which Subwoofer, 2 or 4 ohm?

black_lincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
just a quick question in the wrong section for you guys that know a lil more about car audio than i do. which sub would you get? 2 or 4 ohm? i`m thinking 4 because od more resistance so having a better chance of not gettin blown easily, but i might be thinking the wrong way. any help would be appreciated. thanx in advance

jace

it depends on the amp and at what ohm u will be running the speakers.. the lower the ohms.. the lower the frequency i believe.. and the lower the bass..

i have a 2 channel mono amp.. its 2 2ohm twelves.. but i can bring the speakers to 1 ohm.. but i might blow the amp...

it depends how ur gonna wire them and what amp.. if u get the wrong amp.. u blow the speakers.. put the speakers at the wrong ohm.. and u blow the amp or speakers.. depends..

ur gonna have to be a lil more specific

umm,

impedence has nothing to do with frequency response or power handling.

ohm = resistance.

the ohm load you select directly reflects what your amp will deliver.
if you have an amp capable of low impedence, it will typically deliver
around 1/3 more power at low ohm loads.

alot of amps are only capable of 4ohm mono.

if you get an amp capable of 2 ohm mono or less....if you have decided on a one sub setup.......then the lower the ohm per coil the more power the amp will deliver to the sub.

Sounds like your going to have just one sub. Go with the 2ohm because you can get more power out of the amp at 2ohms than 4ohms. Just make sure the amp you use is 2ohm mono stable.

"i have a 2 channel mono amp."

What? A mono amp is a single channel, so how do you have a 2 channel single channel amp?

SurfjaxLS is right, if you are going with a single sub with a mono amp you will more than likely want a 2 ohm to get more power out of your amp.

Now, if you have a 2 channel amp you will most likely want a 4 ohm sub so you can bridge the amp for max power.

So, what kind of amp are you planning on using?

thanx for the replies guys. i plan on getting the Kenwood KAC-9152D amp . its an 1800 watt mono amp (specs below). and i plan on getting 2 kicker comp vr 12`s .. either 2 or 4 ohm. they need 50 - 400 watts rms / 800w peak.

# Mono channel Power Amplifier with Dual Mono Drive Function
# RMS Power: 500W x 1 @ 4 ohms
# RMS Power: 900W x 1 @ 2 ohms
# RMS Power: 900W x 1 at 1 ohms
# RMS Power: 900W x 2 at 4 ohms (Dual Mono Drive)

my biggest question is .. would the 900w x 2 at 4 ohms be devided between both subs or would it be 900 per sub.

thanx again

jace.

if ur running DVC subs(2)

and they are DVCs @ 4ohms in Parallel you would end up with
the 900x1@1ohm load.
even though this amp shows its capable of this load...i would reccomend
NOT doing this simply because it will cut the life of the amp in half.....and the
6db per octave gain isnt that noticable. Not too mention you would need
an extreme stiffening cap.

if they are 2ohms per voice coil you would end up with a 1/2 ohm load
which it is not capable of.

To answer the question of power per woofer:

When you "bridge" an amp or run it mono.the signal is the same across the coils of the woofers regardless of there placement/configuration. Actually there is no such thing as channel seperation below 100hz.

If it was me, I'd run either two 8ohm DVCs in Parallel or two Single DVC 4ohms
to keep the amp @ 2ohm mono. The THD will be less and it should rock.
I would also reccomend at least a 1 farad cap and minimun 4awg wire.

sry.. 1 channel mono.. my mistake...

Kicker SX 1500

Thanx for the replies guys.. now i actually changed my mind about the subs becasue a buddy at work is selling 2 audiobahn aw1200q subs in a sealed custom box for 200 bucks... those are 700 rms / 1400 peak 4ohm dvc subs. i dont think its a bad deal at all..so i`m thinking i need to be looking for another amp. thanx again for the responses it helped me out a bit.

jace

what about this amp for the two audiobahn aw1200q 700 rms 4 ohm speakers

Lanzar MXA252
2400 Watts 2 Channel High Power MOSFET Amplifier
# 2 x 600 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
# 2 x 1200 Watts Max at 4 Ohms
# 1 x 2400 Watts Max at 4 Ohms Bridged
# 2 x 1000 Watts at 2 Ohms RMS

i htink i have heard of lanzar, but im not too sure..

something that i have learned from car audio is that some ppl tell u its 1500 watts and it MIGHT push 1100 maxx, so watch out.. i know that brands such as boss do that.. i got a kicker 1250.1 and it gives me over 1300 watts.. if i had to pic an amp for those it would be an audibahn 1200.. the have a mono D-class that gives some serious bass.. plus it will match the subs so u can show off the amp in a custom enclosure or whatever...

Lanzar used to make really good stuff.ive won several pro division places with that eqp.

How good it is now, i have no idea.......

as far as the specs you posted.
it shows the amp ( in bridged mode ) only rated for
4ohm mono.

if you use two single voice coil 4ohm subs.......you will put the amp @ 2ohm
mono = bad for the amp.

if you series those 4ohm coils......then youll have 8ohm mono wich is equal to 4ohm stereo......not utilizing the amps power.

if they are 4ohm dvc you can series the coils and parallel the woofers to create a 4ohm mono load (what the amp is capable of for max power )

hope this helps.

First off pay no attention to max power ratings, just RMS.

That amp is overkill for those subs. Look for a 2 channel that is around 1300-1500 at 4 ohms in bridged mode or one that is 2x650-750 at 2 ohms.

Or get a class D capable of 1 ohm around 1400 if you wish to do that. There are some good mono amps that can do 1 ohms, but you won't find many good ones in the cheaper brands.

thats good stuff man .. i understand now guys. this really helped me alot so now i feel like i can make some progress.. i actually got those subs today, so now they are just sitting in my trunk waiting on the amp and a cap. so knowing what i know now, i can probably speed up the process.. but this setup i bought today looks as though it was made specifically for the ls. about a 1/4 inch gap at the top and about an inch on the sides. it just fits in there. i`ll get some better pics later. the pic below i just took with my phone. now all that other stuff gotta come out of my trunk. thanx again guys..

jace

Last edited:
check out knukoncepts.com for a cap. you will not beat their prices for any type of wiring.

Members online

No members online now.
Back