94 Lincoln Continental owner

cardinalfan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new here. I have 94 Lincoln which head gasket may go out soon at 130000 miles. Would you pay to replace this at 1200 dollars? I replaced back air shocks for 1200 which were leaking after being parked. I replaced waterpump and front cover for 800 dollars. I just replaced air flow sensor for 300 dollars. All of this within 6 months! Still driving rough! What should I do. This car ive had 2 and a half years. also have replaced 1 airshock and tie rod up front. I replaced thermostat too. Paid close to 4500 for this car. :V

As far as running rough, when is the last time you did plugs and wires, rotor and cap?? I wouldnt pay to have the head gaskets done, i would do them myself. The thing is, whether or not you are mechanically inclined, remember the expense of the whole thing is because of the labor. The gaskets will run you 50 bucks tops. How do you know they are goin out. Im infamiliar with the 3.8 litre and i dont know if they will cause trouble on their way out or just one day just decide to go out and the car runs like crap and spews coolant. For all the work youve already done it may be in your best interest to do it yourself.

Pepsi2185 said:
As far as running rough, when is the last time you did plugs and wires, rotor and cap?? I wouldnt pay to have the head gaskets done, i would do them myself. The thing is, whether or not you are mechanically inclined, remember the expense of the whole thing is because of the labor. The gaskets will run you 50 bucks tops. How do you know they are goin out. Im infamiliar with the 3.8 litre and i dont know if they will cause trouble on their way out or just one day just decide to go out and the car runs like crap and spews coolant. For all the work youve already done it may be in your best interest to do it yourself.
I never did all that to it. I am 32 year old woman and have dealer do all the work. They were looking at plugs and saw greenish tint on them and said gasket may be going out. They have seen it for years. Do i do a tuneup?? I couldnt do the work myself I wish i could!!!!

Pepsi2185 said:

I think "pepsi2185" is on the right track

Changing the wires and plugs... can't hurt they are more that likely due to be changed now any how. Ask freinds and neibours about a good local garage that could do this for you. May save some coin from the dealer.

Roy

Last edited:
i have cadillac

Roy said:
Changing the wires and plugs... can't hurt they are more that likely due to be changed now any how. Ask freinds and neibours about a good local garage that could do this for you. May save some coin from the dealer.

Roy
We also own a 91 cadillac deville! It drives so nice better than the Lincoln!

Best of Both Worlds

Glad you like your Cadi, you will like the bunch of people on this Site,
icon14.gif
it is the only one I really bother with, seems like a great bunch here, you can swap idea,s and problems or tips about your cars.

Some are more wild than others with Supped up Hot Rod Lincolns and cadi,s with Nitros Boosters, and not so wild Like Me, almost stock STS.
(My wife tells me it's my mid life thing)
icon6.gif

Let me know how you make out with your Lincoln, hopfully it's not to expencive,

cardinalfan said:
We also own a 91 cadillac deville! It drives so nice better than the Lincoln!

our cadillac

Roy said:
Glad you like your Cadi, you will like the bunch of people on this Site,
icon14.gif
it is the only one I really bother with, seems like a great bunch here, you can swap idea,s and problems or tips about your cars.

Some are more wild than others with Supped up Hot Rod Lincolns and cadi,s with Nitros Boosters, and not so wild Like Me, almost stock STS.
(My wife tells me it's my mid life thing)
icon6.gif

Let me know how you make out with your Lincoln, hopfully it's not to expencive,
One thing i noticed about the cadillac is the coolant overflow tank has jelled up. What causes this and how do we fix this?

cardinalfan said:
I couldnt do the work myself I wish i could!!!!
Maybe there are some members close to you that wouldn't mind helping, where you located at?

Go easy on the lincolns come on now, LOL. Deville and continental are two different animals.

I second Jibit, where do you live?

Pepsi2185 said:
Go easy on the lincolns come on now, LOL. Deville and continental are two different animals.

I second Jibit, where do you live?
I appologize. Just happens that 94 lincolns had bad suspension that year according to consumer reports. I still love my Lincoln its a beautiful car!!!

Hey and welcome to the board, I also own a 94 Continental, they are beautiful cars sorry to hear you are having so much trouble, I have had to repair alot of things on my Conti also, but I never give up, suspension, waterpump, fuelpump, alternator, etc.... I say change the oil, get it flushed, flush the coolant as well, and change the plugs if this does'nt help you may have a water pump problem, or alternator problem, MY CAR RAN ROUGH FOR ABOUT A MONTH!! and I could'nt figure out what the hell was going on I then had water pump replaced and the problem went away. BTW, if you change both the oil and the coolant at the same time regularly it will help prevent the infamous head gasket problem. :L If you have any more trouble just post about it, someone always has ann answer around here ;)

I just noticed I said the waterpump caused the rough running, I meant the alternator, BTW has you're car ever died on you before, and after waiting a few minutes it will start back up again? Also just out of curiosity do you have an Executive or a Signature series? :waving: :dancefool

my 94

Conti94 said:
I just noticed I said the waterpump caused the rough running, I meant the alternator, BTW has you're car ever died on you before, and after waiting a few minutes it will start back up again? Also just out of curiosity do you have an Executive or a Signature series? :waving: :dancefool
not sure doesnt say on title i had waterpump replaced. it does die when i first start it up. They put a new airflow sensor in but still rocking back and forth when im idling at stoplight. gets embarrasing. I think timing needs adjusted again not sure. I need to take it back. i do love it . It has 13000 miles on it.
I do get oil changed regularly. Havent changed plugs and wires though. Need to look into that.

It really does sound like the alternator, that is probably the problem, but before you go and have it replaced change the oil, coolant and plugs ;) That's all I can think of to solve you're problem if you have any more problems just tell us were glad to help :V Also if you want to know if you have an Executive or a Signature look at the back windows there should be small writing on the smaller windows that say either Executive or Signature. :steering

my 94 continental

Conti94 said:
It really does sound like the alternator, that is probably the problem, but before you go and have it replaced change the oil, coolant and plugs ;) That's all I can think of to solve you're problem if you have any more problems just tell us were glad to help :V Also if you want to know if you have an Executive or a Signature look at the back windows there should be small writing on the smaller windows that say either Executive or Signature. :steering
Ok i looked its a signature series! Car mainly acts up only while idling at stoplights or just sitting. when i have a chance Ill take it back to check timing. If not the timing Ill look into replacing plugs! I saw pitiful continental today! Back end was hanging down and sounded horrible smoke pouring out of dual exhaust body was so nice though. Looked the same year as mine. :L

cardinalfan said:
Ok i looked its a signature series! Car mainly acts up only while idling at stoplights or just sitting. when i have a chance Ill take it back to check timing. If not the timing Ill look into replacing plugs! I saw pitiful continental today! Back end was hanging down and sounded horrible smoke pouring out of dual exhaust body was so nice though. Looked the same year as mine. :L
i took car back i guess it was the timing now driving better thank good ness they didnt even call me when it was done. they had to reset timing timing i guess just as i had thought. i will call dealer tomarrow to find out what they did. get frustrated with them. seems like evrytime they work on it timing needs reset and they dont do it. argue2 :soapbox:

Members online

No members online now.
Back