1991 Town Car

CpeVillStr90

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I are looking at this Town Car for him to buy. Being a car guy he's come to me to see what I think. I think its a steel. It has 130,000 miles. Body is strait and rust free. Signature Series. 4.6l. He originally wanted $1500 half a year ago. Yesterday he told us he'd like to get $600 out of it. The thing were not sure about is the suspention. Its squatting in the back. But its been sitting for a year. He says once it starts and runs the bags should pump back up and be normal. Thats the way they were when he parked it. Good deal or no? And what do you think about the bags? Bad from sitting or fine if they fill back up?

if they dont air up and stay up for a while, then you will need to replace them. if its been sitting for a year, id be leary of it. sitting for an extended period of time is worse on a car than driving it.. but for 600 id probably go for it.

Good news. I just went over there(about half a mile down the road) and hooked up a battery. The car runs very smooth, exhaust is sound, and the air bags filled up in about 30 seconds and stayed up for about a half hour until I shut it off and they continued to stayed pumped. Turns out he had hit the switch in the trunk to let out the air before he parked it. I hit the switch on and walla. He's going to buy it.

I thought it was a Signature at first but now that I thoroughly checked it out its a Executive Series. Its got velvet seats, but he wants to swap that with leather. Which is dirt cheap and very popular at the local pick a part. Its white with no rag top. 4.6l that runs smooth as silk. Some slight rust in the wheel wells, nothing that we can't sand down and paint. It has the thick chrome trim around the wheel wells. Straight,ding free body. Over all pretty good looking for a 1991 and well taking care of. Now I won't be riding alone in luxury at school. We now have the best of both American worlds, Cadillac and Lincoln.

Its an exact duplicate of pepp's car but white on the bottom, no gray.

I am going to find out what color that is on the bottom of my Town Car, I know it's not gray. It has some metallic in it.

Thats what i was thinking, the car came from Vegas and i know the guy who painted the bottom i will give him a call this weekend.

afaik turning the air suspenion switch off doesnt let the air out of the bags, it only keeps them from being operational in the sense of inflating and deflating to accomodate the load level.

pepperman said:
I am going to find out what color that is on the bottom of my Town Car, I know it's not gray. It has some metallic in it.

its called clear coated sheet metal. :) i really dont know, but i HATE that. my last towncar had the rocker panel chrome and when that was removed it was grey underneath, i got it painted black to match the car. looked 1000000000000 times better.

I have a 1991 Lincoln Town Car with the Velour Seats.

Don't replace them with leather, the velour wears much better than the leather does. I hate the look of crapily aged leather, some don't mind, so it's a preference thing.

BTW - Enjoy the car.

GT6

pepperman said:

Ford called it Titanium (at least on the stangs)

TriumphGT6 said:
I have a 1991 Lincoln Town Car with the Velour Seats.

Don't replace them with leather, the velour wears much better than the leather does. I hate the look of crapily aged leather, some don't mind, so it's a preference thing.

BTW - Enjoy the car.

GT6

:iconcur:

I loved the velour in my 90 TC... it was warm in the winter and cool in the summer sun. Does not crack or rip easy and a whole lot cheaper to repair or replace than leather. I wish the Mark VIIIs had a velour option.

Frat-man-du said:
Ford called it Titanium (at least on the stangs)
Thanks for the info, i have seen 3 other Town Cars just like mine in this area :cool:

its called clear coated sheet metal. i really dont know, but i HATE that. my last towncar had the rocker panel chrome and when that was removed it was grey underneath, i got it painted black to match the car. looked 1000000000000 times better.

I hate that crap. Its a clear coat of rust proofer. It helps in the long run(prevents rust), but looks terrible on a sunny day when you can really notice it.

Well, he's a leather guy. But if he finds some leather seats in good shape worth buying and installing he's going to do it.

He went to make the down payment tonigh. So they know he's going to buy it, they removed the for sale signs and now its pretty much his. How are these cars with line locks? Can the rear end handle them? Or is it not a good idea with a car of this age? He's looking for basis performance and styling mods for this car. I know the 4.6l can be modded all to hell but can you guys point out some basis inexpensive stuff? As well as with styling. A lot of replies I see. This is good. Thanks guys.

CpeVillStr90 said:
I know the 4.6l can be modded all to hell but can you guys point out some basis inexpensive stuff?

Well dont quote me on this, but the only 4.6 that has a lot of after market is the DOHC 4.6 used in the Mark VIII's, Continentals, Navigators, Mustang Cobras, etc etc. I dont believe the SOHC has much for aftermarket other than exhausts and stuff.

anything you can do to a 4.6 mustang gt, you can do to a 4.6 town car.

Good buy!! IT doesnt get much cheaper than $600-

Ahh but to make it a fair race you would have to equally mod them. The LT1 would still smoke the TC with the same amount of mods. Im not so sure how accurate his time slips are. I saw in one of his videos get dusted by a 4.0l jeep. And another a Suburban. Last I knew they weren't speed racers.

Members online

Back