air intake/mass sensor, shaky starts

executivechef01

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey looking for any others out there who have installed the air intake, kkm or other, thatexperience problems when starting your engine. i get a series of like growls, almost like the engine is stalling, andi have stalled once. i was told it was the intake when we hooked it up at the lincoln service center. i dont know if this is true although my mass airflow sensors were reading less air flow than required. if anyone has experienced this please let me know im trying to stay with the intake but gotta keep my engine and premium warranty (they told me if i dont remove it i lose my warranty, regardless of the magnulson act) so any info on either topic would be really appreciated, thanks.

hey i actually just had that problem, i got the mass air flow sensor off of another lincoln ls same year same engine and it still wasnt working as a matter of fact i just put a new one on today. is the mass air flow sensor on the car the original one?

One solution I've heard about is to clock the sensor one way or the other. I have a mark viii and mine is level on the top side ;) Mine is not a stock one and when I first started it it stumbled, but then went away.

my problem was the mass air flow sensor was six prong and the one i needed was 4 prong. but that doesnt make any sense that it doesnt work now if its the same one

im gonna look into it this week illpost up what i find hopefull by friday but ill keep an eye on the post, thanks for your help.

This is probably a stupid question, but how can you tell if the air flow is less than required?? Mine seems to be working fine, but the gas mileage has been kind of sucky...how many miles can you guys go? I'm only getting about 290-300. --- I also have the Cold air/ KKM unduction.

Try and pull the battery cable for 10 mins or so.....I know some time on other car you need to reset the computer so that it starts over again....I installed an intake and had no problems.....hell I even forgot to plug the MAF the second time and had no problem until I was driving and got a Engine light....Have not heard of anyone else having any problem either...good luck

Sergmark said:
One solution I've heard about is to clock the sensor one way or the other. I have a mark viii and mine is level on the top side ;) Mine is not a stock one and when I first started it it stumbled, but then went away.

You will be AMAZED at how many times this can fix a drivability problem. Any time you change the airflow in front of the meter, you can run into these problems. Many times it's nothing more than clocking the meter. Other times, it never seems to be fixable. Another thing...if you are using a K & N filter...or other oiled filter, it is VERY common to have these over oiled at the factory and you can get an oil film on the MAF wire. Try carefully cleaning the wire by spraying electrical cleaner on the wire and gently blowing it dry. The Cobra boys run into this a lot.

And by all means, follow Silver's advice and disconnect the battery for a half hour and let the computer relearn it's strategies.

BE CAREFUL WITH CLEANING THE MAF!!!! THEY BREAK EASY MY BUD MESSED UP HIS ON THE VW AND HAD TO PAY AN ARM AND A LEG FOR A NEW ONE.....

i will try disconnecting the battery, although it was removed for a prolonged period when we rewired the cables to include all three batteries, and run a jumper to the front. i get according to my meter 10mpg more or less. as far as cleaning the sensor ill give it a gentle try, i am using the kkm intake and will be getting the filter cleaner from pep boys or similiar, and will try cleaning it as well. thanks for your help.

Members online

Back