Sway Bar Replacement

MikeB

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got the news from the stealership that the sway bar bushings are bad on the front end and they have to replace the whole sway bar.

What's the difference between the old and new bars that requires it to be replaced instead of just replacing a $10 bushing?

Will it ride better?
Will the new bushings last longer?
Was this a TSB or what ever you call it?

Any help would be appreciated.

seems odd you would have to replace the whole bar for just bad bushings?

IL-LS said:
seems odd you would have to replace the whole bar for just bad bushings?
My thoughts exactly, but they said it's a new design.
That makes me think it's either from a newer year model or there may have been problems with the old one.

If they're doing the front FREE, buy an aftermarket 1 from Shox.com, while your at it have them install a rear sway bar from Shox.com as well, you won't believe the difference in handling

its BS that theyd need to replace the whole setup if just the bushings are worn. yes, mnaybe they redesigned it, because the old bar put too much pressure on bushings causing them to wear fast.

Buy aftermarket bars and put them on anyway, they are way better than stock.

Addco and P-S-T sway bars are the best costing ones aorund that I know of.

Cubster said:
If they're doing the front FREE, buy an aftermarket 1 from Shox.com, while your at it have them install a rear sway bar from Shox.com as well, you won't believe the difference in handling

Too bad they don't have a listing for a Lincoln.....

LS4me said:
Too bad they don't have a listing for a Lincoln.....

I have a 01 V8. My stealership also told me the exact same thing about replacing the whole sway bar. I know the bushings can be replaced cuz, some of you other members have done this. Does anyone know where and whay type of replacement bushings one would need?? THanks

Cubster said:

Cubster said:
Get an Addco rear sway bar !!!!!! If you think it handles well now you'll be AMAZED how much better it will handle with a new rear sway bar !!!!!!!!
-> http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=7323

Dude - that's the second time you've posted this stuff - I can't find a single listing for an LS in either Shox or Addco. Where are you finding this stuff?

There are four swaybar options for the LS from Lincoln:
- V6 - sport and non-sport
- V8 - sport and non-sport

the V6 bars are actually larger than the V8 - to compensate for the difference in front-end engine weight.

The chassis engineers spent a long time on this part of the LS handling it's unlikely you get improvements from an aftermarket piece (even if one existed) unless you have change your LS somewhat (ie: lowering, stiffer springs, ...)

docsayler said:
I have a 01 V8. My stealership also told me the exact same thing about replacing the whole sway bar. I know the bushings can be replaced cuz, some of you other members have done this. Does anyone know where and whay type of replacement bushings one would need?? THanks

try FordPartsNetwork's online catalog -> http://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=318

they show the bars, brackets, bushings, and links for all 4 types. the prices seem pretty cheap.

OK I'm getting a clunking from the front end when driving over rutted roads. I checked Ford Parts Network and for the LS6 they list W/standard suspension
and w/o Standard suspension. I'm assuming that with the sport suspension package (2000 manual trans with 17 tires) that I order the w/o standard suspension.

Ford seems use strange nomenclature to list the parts.

pragmatic said:
I'm assuming that with the sport suspension package (2000 manual trans with 17 tires) that I order the w/o standard suspension.

correct.

Any tips on the install of the new sway bar with the bushings and brackets attatched? How long will I be under the car? Do you have to release the subframe to get the new bar in? Any help you have will be helpful. I have moderate skills and a lot of patience.

You need to do some research on this...there is a Fomoco parts dealer on our site...maybe someone can help with his name. My understanding is that Ford has quit selling the bushings only and now requires a complete sway bar replacement when the bushings go bad as the new revised bushings are already on the new sway bar. There is a thread here where someone has already gone through this and what an absolute pain it was getting the sway bar in and out of the car. This may be the only option you have left from Ford.

I got bushings for my 00 ls sport from "fast parts network" They were about 32$ shipped. I put them in myself and the car is quiet again. The install was about 3 hours. 1 hour on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger side because it involved removing 2 10mm bolts that are hard to get to (they hold some heating bracket in place right above one of the sway bar bolts). The old ones didn't even look bad, but somehow they made it sound like my front end was going to fall off when I went over small bumps.
Eamonn

Ordered the sway bar from the Ford dealer for about 100 bucks.
Didn't feel like doing the job myself took it to a shop where the guy owes me some work.

Was worth every dime. Have it done and save yourself the headache.

Car rides like new, but it has new struts on it too.:)

Old News guys

The reason the whole bar has to be replaced is that the new ones have bonded-on bushings that will not dry up or lose their grease and wear.
This is a new design.
This is absolutely te ONLY guaranteed fix.
Mine also was done and it is a pain to install.....Read expensive if not under warranty.

I also have not seen any aftermarket bars for the LS.
The Jag S-Type may have something through Arden but that is a crap-shoot.

The suspension engineer at Lincoln spent counless hours optimizing stabars and struts/shock combinations.
Unless you have that kind of time and resources, I would recomment the Lincoln parts bin.

I was told i need a new sway bar which one should i buy. would any member wanna help me out and refer me to someone in the area, or ill pay someone to do it.

It would be best if you get the updated sway bar. I had my bushing changed about 2 months before they came out with the TSB and updated part and 9 months later front end clunk again. Had to go get the updated bar. so sure the $10 bushings would be a quick fix but the time it takes to do it again in a year or less is not worth it.

Bushings

Hi where did u get your 10 $ bushings, cos I went to the dealership and they told me I could only get them with a new sway bar. Thanx

Blackspyder said:
Hi where did u get your 10 $ bushings, cos I went to the dealership and they told me I could only get them with a new sway bar. Thanx

when I got my bushing they hadn't came out with the TSB saying to put in the 03+ sway bar. Once they came out with the TSB then they stop selling the 00-02 bushings. I don't remember the cost because it didn't cost me that much (I used to work at the dealership) but to replace the sway bar is close to 2hrs in labor their book

I know I know . . . this post is old but I have some sway bar questions.
Has anyone replaced the bushings w/ poly ones? Energy suspension makes a set that are slip on. They can be replaced with the bar still attached to the car. Can are remove just the bracket that holds the bushing and bolts to the car or is it all one piece? What I could really use would be some pics of how the bar is connected to the rest of the suspension and car. Anyone who has photos or could take some it would be awesome if you could post them.
What about the endlinks? Has anyone had issues with the links snapping or rusting out?

Has anyone replaced the bushings w/ poly ones? Energy suspension makes a set that are slip on. They can be replaced with the bar still attached to the car. Can are remove just the bracket that holds the bushing and bolts to the car or is it all one piece?

I can save you a ton of money by confirming that yes, you can use the aftermarket bushings without a problem.

Members online

Back