Swapping gauge cluster...Will it work?

lsondubz

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I found a cluster with the new look from an 03 will this plug into my 00 and replace my existing cluster??

it (should) not - but I have never done it.

in 03 the LS moved from ODBII to CAN protocols and change the way all the system modules talk to each other.

You cannot swap clusters with any LS (even the same year) without tripping the 'tamper' alert - meaning the car will beep everytime you go into reverse and over 60 (i think). Only the dealer can reset the 'tamper' alert.

They do this so you can't cheap on your mileage.

No it won't. Also, you can't just swap gauge clusters because the security aspect of it. The computer will think the car is stolen if you swap out the gauge cluster. The dealer would have to reprogram the gauge cluster to accept the new information. I'd like to think that it's a direct swap from an 00 to 03 physically but not electronically.

I have swapped both 00-02 clusters and 03+ clusters, but not interchanged them. If you replace either of them you have to get the PATS system re-programmed. I also have the programming tool and software to do this on my own. The PCM and cluster have to have the same codes for the car to start. I also know on the 03+ there are a variety of part numbers for the clusters, you have to get the exact part number you currently have or it wont work even with the PATS programming tool.

so if the codes on the cluster match the one that came out than you should be fine right. lets say your car got vandelized and you got another cluster but the numbers on both matched you would be fine right.

fordfanatic69 said:
so if the codes on the cluster match the one that came out than you should be fine right. lets say your car got vandelized and you got another cluster but the numbers on both matched you would be fine right.

See 02V8Sport's post.

fordfanatic69 said:

no, just because the part numbers match, that doesnt mean they will have the same PATS code stored in them. There are like 20 part numbers but more like 1,000,000 different PATS codes.

Jesus, you can't even swap the cluster? Imagine trying to restore one of these things in 30 years. You would never be able to make it right - there's no way you'd ever have access to the equipment to even make an instrument cluster work right.

good point, but in 30 years they'll have a work around.
by that time they would be able to convince the piddily little computer in the LS of anything, i'm sure by then an 8th grader could tap in and reprogram the archaic computer to work with any cluster even one from a cadillac :eek:

Dutch said:
Jesus, you can't even swap the cluster? Imagine trying to restore one of these things in 30 years. You would never be able to make it right - there's no way you'd ever have access to the equipment to even make an instrument cluster work right.
Yeah, must be Lincoln's way of sticking it to the little man!

Dutch said:

At least it can be done by an average Joe with a $3000 NGS CAN programmer. In a Lincoln/Ford, all you have to do is swap the cluster and reprogram the PATS. In a newer BMW the mileage gets stored in the cluster and in any one of the modules through out the car. You dont know which one its in until you hook the car into their $100,000 diagnostic machine. Then you have to match them up within 50miles or it throws tamper codes.

Think of yourself as being fortunate for not trying to swap a cluster in a BMW, haha :eek:

Dutch said:
Imagine trying to restore one of these things in 30 years.
Heck with restoring an LS--in 30 years, they better damn well have those flying cars they've been promising us since the '50s.

Members online

No members online now.
Back