Which model do I have??

KC_Steve

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new here... just signed up this morning. I recently bought a 2002 LS V8. How do I know that package or level I have. I have seen that there is a premium level, a sport and etc. I know it is not a sport because it has the chrome... What other levels are there. Just want to get educated so I don't sound stupid when talking to others.

Also, are there any local clubs around the KC area.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to LVC fellow KCer =D. I'm not sure on the difference between the premium and basic models since they both have the chrome on the bumpers. But does yours have the 6disc in dash cd changer/select shift/sun roof/etc. ? I don't believe the basic model has these.

Yes, mine has the sunroof, 6 disc in dash, full leather, select shift... everything but the cooled seat and the remote entry from what I can tell.

Thanks for the help! I thought that is what I had, but was not sure. I have seen some 02's will more wood grain trim than mine has, so I was not sure if that is part of the trim level package or not. I have the wood grain across the dash, on the steering wheel, shifter knob, and around the ashtray and heated seats button. Not up around the heater and radio and vents....

Thanks for the help.

Steve

The wood grain on the heater and the vents is aftermarket, it is sold on ebay or elsewhere, some people add it to their cars. Non of the LSs came with it in stock form.

I didn't know that the 02 premium with chrome on bumpers has the select shift transmission. Is that what you have? Do you have 16 or 17 inch wheels?

Also the 03 and up LSs have with cooled seats and the remote keypad on the door, the 00-02 LSs do not have em.

I think all of 01 and up LSs have 6 disk CD in the dash.

Maybe I am confused on what SelectShift is. I have P - D5 on the left, then drop over to d4 on the right, and I can go up and down. I thought that was selectshift.... I have the chrome 5 star 17's.

Thanks for the help, just trying to figure out what I have.

Steve

This is the select shift, it doesn't do much anyways.

DSC00071.JPG

OK, thanks for the visual. I do not have that, so I guess I was incorrect in my earlier post. Thanks for the help. I am already learning on this site, and I just joined today! :)

Mine is Cypress Green I believe. I plan to clean it up next week while I am off and I will take some pictures then and post them.

Hey Artur, I see you wanted to see pictures of my woodgrain as you signed my guestbook in cardomain. I will get some pictures to show you and you just might be impressed to want it. The only thing is that with your aftermarket Alpine stereo you would not be able to put that piece on. I will get those pics out to you soon.

KC_Valentine said:
Welcome to LVC fellow KCer =D. I'm not sure on the difference between the premium and basic models since they both have the chrome on the bumpers. But does yours have the 6disc in dash cd changer/select shift/sun roof/etc. ? I don't believe the basic model has these.
Whoot! whats up fellow kansas citianites! Its nice to see more people from here cacthing on to this site it rules, I have learned so much info from here on the ls it is pricless, if you see me on the highway I have a 2000 maroon(not sure if that's right color name) ls v8 with j 2 the a logo in reflective vinyl on the rear bumper. If ya see me around honk.:cool:

HyeLifeLS said:
This is the select shift, it doesn't do much anyways.
Actually, it does. It's not terribly useful for accelerating, but it is useful for holding a gear or downshifting--in SST mode, the 5R55N and 5R55S transmissions behave more like an SMG (sequential manual gearbox) than an automatic. Unlike many (most) automanuals, they will hold a gear until you initiate an upshift or downshift. The only exception is that it will downshift when coming to a stop to prevent stalling--IIRC, in SST mode, they won't even shift if you hit the redline.

This list was compiled by a member of another forum. This will help you identify the changes made throughout the life cycle of the LS.

Here are Engineering Changes to the 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 Lincoln LS:

07/15/99 - V8 Rear end changed to 3.31 was 3.58
07/15/99 - V6 MTX rear end changed to 3.07, was 3.31 *
07/15/99 - Autumn Red paint replaces Cordovan
Sep 99 - Base models start shipping with wood trim steering wheel.
12/15/99 - PCM Software Updated
Jan 00 - Seat heating elements revised
02/28/00 - Sport: spare tire changed to 16" full size on a steel wheel - was 17" on super silver wheel
02/28/00 - Sport Model: Sub-Woofers deleted from Alpine Audio
02/28/00 - V8 Models: Adjustable rear headrests deleted
02/28/00 - V8 Models: Rear Half-Shafts updated
02/28/00 - Front Sub-frame connectors (re-inforcements) added. f/r weight balance is now 52/48 - V6 & 53/47 - V8, was 51/49 - V6 & 52/48 - V8
02/28/00 - Rear upper shock absorber mounts changed
07/17/00 - Start of production for 2001 Model Year Lincoln LS:
------ Cup holders on console changed, larger, folding cover deleted
------ Traction control added to V6 MTX (standard)
------ Advance Track now optional on V6 MTX
------ Glow in the dark manual trunk release
------ Rear seat child seat tethers changed
------ Power point added to rear of console
------ Valet Key (switch) added
------ Compass added to electrochromic rear view mirror
------ V8 emblem added to passenger side tail light on V8 models
------ Chrome 17" 5 spoke wheels optional on Sport, Std. Premium
------ Polished 5 spoke 16" wheels now standard on Base V6 & V8 models
------ Premium Package added
------ 6 CD in dash changer now standard with Sport & Premium models
------ RESCU option is deleted
------ New paint colors: Medium Charcoal Green, Medium Cypress Green, Pearl Blue, Aqua Blue, Ceramic White (Premium model only)
------ Deleted paint colors: Dark Green Satin, Graphite Blue, Deep Wedgewood Blue, Vibrant White, Estate Green
Aug 00 - 5R55N 1st gear ratio changed to 3.22, was 3.25. This also changes 2nd to 2.42, was 2.44.
10/18/00 - PCM code updated effective
Dec 00 - Analog cell phone option (code 518) discontinued
Mar 01 - Sport & Premium spare changed to 17" mini - was 16" full size on steel wheel.
Jun 01 - PCM calibration updated - note the software is the same as the Nov 00 update, New update just corrects which models it is applicable to.
07/16/01 - Start of production for the 2002 Model Year Lincoln LS:
------ Intake air-box changed
------ V6 Exhaust system changed
------ V6 HP 220 @ 6,400 RPM, Torque 215 ft lb @ 4,800 RPM (was 210 @ 6,500 / 205 @ 4,750).
------ V8 torque is now specified as 261 ft. lb. @ 4,300 RPM (was 267)
------ 6 CDX in dash now standard on all models
------ 7 spoke 16" brushed alumium wheels replace 5 spoke (std base models)
------ 7 spoke polished 16" wheels now optional on base models
------ Full Alpine system with sub woofers standard on Sport.
------ All Season Package, heated seats & Advance Track replaces stand alone options.
------ Aspen Green paint color replaces Medium Charcoal Green
------ VCS system now optinal uses Motorola Timeport phone and requires Sprint airtime.
------ Model arrays V6 Base, V6 Convenience, V6 Sport replace package options (i.e. Sport PKg, Conven Pkg etc.)
------ Valet switch deleted
------ 132 MPH Governor added to V8 models
------ Engine oil is now 5w20 synthetic blend (was 5w30 conventional)
Sep 01 - V8: Cam chains changed to eliminate resonance (whine)
Sep 01 - 5R55N 5th gear changed to .71 (was .75) 2nd becomes 2.29 (was 2.42)
Sep 01 - RPM of 1st to 2nd gear upshift is increased
Jan 02 - Rear Half-shafts updated
Jan 02 - Silver Birch paint color replaces Silver Frost
Jan 02 - Charcoal Grey paint color replaces Midnight Grey
Jan 02 - Retainers for wire in power window mechanisms changed to metal part.
Jan 02 - LSE Model added, Black or Silver Birch colors only
Feb 02 - Vivid Red Color optional at extra cost for limited time.
Aug 02 - Vivid Red Color in no longer orderable
Jun 02 - Headlamp covers revised
07/15/02 - LS V8's start shipping with FL-218 oil filters (was FL-2008)
10/21/02 - Production start of model year 2003 Lincoln LS
------ 3.0L V6 Engine: Variable cam timing is added, new intake manifold, new exhaust manifolds. Ratings are now 232 HP @ 6750 RPM and 220 lb. ft @ 4500 RPM
------ 3.9L V8 Engine: Variable cam timing is added, new intake manifold, new 4 into 2 into 1 dual chamber exhaust manifolds, new cold air / throttle body arrangement, compression ratio is now 10.75:1 (was 10.55:1) and new fine tooth cam chains. Ratings are now 280 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 286 lb. ft. @ 4,000 RPM
------ Electronic throttle control is added
------ PCM code is extensively updated for new engines & ECT
------ Redesigned engine mounts (V6 & V8)
------ Engine fan is electric (was Hydraulic)
------ Alternator and power steering pump updated to reduce noise
------ V8 rear end ratio is now 3.58:1 (was 3.31:1)
------ Exhaust systems are updated
------ Polished straight back exhaust tips are added
------ ZF Servotronic II Steering box replaces Visteon unit
------ 5R55S (synchronous shift) transmission replaces 5R55N
------ SST now allows 1st gear starts in SST mode
------ Sport models now use aluminum rear brake calipers
------ Revised suspention tuning including larger shock absorbers and new anti-sway bars
------ Advance Track software is updated, to improve understeer control
------ Rear shock absorbers now have internal rebound springs
------ Spring rates are reduced by 10%
------ Updated hollow rear axle shafts
------ Tuned masses added inside front doors to reduce vibration resonance
------ Cabin sealing is improved by 20%
------ Front center arm rest has a sliding cover
------ Electric emergency brake assist is added
------ Front & Rear subframe mounts are updated
------ V6, 5 speed manual transmission model is no longer available
------ Electric Parking Brake replaces manual parking brake
------ Console is updated and enlarged
------ Heated and Cooled front seats ( 3 range) replace 1 range heated only seats (not available on base models).
------ Heated rear seats are now optionally available.
------ V6 base & Premium models now come with P225/55VR16 tires (was P215).
------ Automatic Windshield wipers are updated Generation II system.
------ THX Audio / DVD Navigation System now optional
------ Rear Parking Assist now optional
------ HID Headlamps now available (V8 Models only)
------ Front and Rear facias are updated
------ Fog Lamps now have round reflectors
------ Front Grille has chrome trim around the entire grille
------ Front Grille vertical blades are different in shape and color
------ Rear tail lamps are smaller and now have multi-color lenses
------ Rear licence plate trim is revised.
------ Folding rear view mirrors added to Premium Models
------ Puddle lamps added to rear view mirrors
------ Electrochromic driver's side rear view mirror added (Sport & Premium)
------ Keypad entry added to driver's side door
------ Front windows are now one touch automatic down and up
------ Power adjustable pedals added
------ Center brake light is now "high mounted" at top of rear window and uses LED's
------ Numerous interior updates include enlarged storage compartments, material upgrades.
------ Sunglass compartment added to front of headliner.
------ Dash board center stack is now Satin Nickel finish (was black).
------ Moldings below doors are now 1 piece
------ Instrument cluster graphics are changed
------ Interior grab handels now are folding with damped mechanisms.
------ Sun visors are now dual units.
------ Air Bag restraint system is now new generation Advanced driver and front passenger dual stage with occupant position, weight and seatbelt usage sensors.
------ Front & rear floormats are now 20 -oz. Shiva carpet with Maslite backing.
------ Rear seat reading lamps are now directional.
------ Base models now come with Black Laquer interior trim panels, all leather steering wheel and leather shift knob.
------ Sport models now come standard with Aluminum interior trim panels
------ Premium models now come with real American Walnut Wood interior trim panels.
------ Base model audio system now comes with single CD and audio cassette.
------ Premium models now have larger headrests which include adjustable rear headrests.
------ Glove Box CD changer is no longer available.
------ New 7 (14) spoke 17" machined wheels on Sport models
------ New 8 spoke 17" chrome wheels on Premium Sport models
------ New 11 spoke 16" painted wheels standard on V6 Premium & V8 Base
------ New 11 spoke 16" polished wheels optional on Premium model
------ New paint colors: Medium Steel Blue Metallic, Light Tundra Metallic, True Blue Metallic
------ Ceramic White paint is now optional Tri-Coat at extra cost and available on all models
------ Deleted paint colors: Medium Cypress Green , Aqua Blue, Pearl Blue, White Pearl Tri-Coat
------ New Two-Tone Interior colors: Dark Ash / Medium Ash, Espresso / Medium Light Stone, Black
------ Deleted interior colors: Light Graphite, Truffle, Light Parchment, Medium Parchment, Deep Charcoal
03/03/03 - Side Curtain front airbags now optional
03/03/03 - Aspen Green Metallic paint is discontinued
03/03/03 - Vivid Red Metallic paint is again orderable, option at extra cost.
03/03/03 - Interior wood trim option now available on V8 Sport models
07/14/03 - Scheduled date for start of production on 2004 model year Lincoln LS
------ V6 Luxury Array replaces V6 Base Array
------ V8 Ultimate Array replaces V8 Premium Sport Array
------ Heated and cooled seats are now and option on V6 Premium and V8 Sport (was std.)
------ HID headlamps are now optional on V8 Ultimate (was std.)
------ HID headlamps are now available as an option of V6 Premiuim
------ Moonroof is now an option on V6 Premuim array (was std).
------ Moisture sensitive windshield wiper function deleted from all models.
------ Rear Park Assist and Side Curtain Air bags only available bundled in "Safety and Parking Option".
------ Lincoln Soundmark label now used on Alpine & THX systems
------ Soundmark systems now have provision for Sirius satellite radio (late availability).
------ Sirius Satellite radio optional as dealer installed kit (late availability).
------ Front Grille ribs are now painted "Mediuim Platinum" was argent grey.
------ Complementary maintenance now 12 months / 12,000 miles (was 36 / 36,000)
------ Deleted Paint Colors: Ivory Parchment Tri-Coat & Light Parchment Gold Metallic
------ New Paint Colors: Cashmere Metallic tri-coat and Light French Silk Metallic
------ Deleted Interior Colors: Espresso/Medium Light Stone & Dark Ash/ Medium Ash
------ New Interior Colors: Dark Stone/Medium Light Stone and Shale/Dove

* '00 MY V6 MTX models were late availability. It is not clear if any V6 MTX models with 3.31 were actually shipped to dealer / customer orders.

That's true, it is good on the highway or on some turns where you go on a high speed, where you shift 3rd, 4th, or 5th gears, cause from 3rd to 2nd it's not very smooth and 2nd to 1st is almost impossible, unless you push hard while accelerating from stop.

SoonerLS said:
Actually, it does. It's not terribly useful for accelerating, but it is useful for holding a gear or downshifting--in SST mode, the 5R55N and 5R55S transmissions behave more like an SMG (sequential manual gearbox) than an automatic. Unlike many (most) automanuals, they will hold a gear until you initiate an upshift or downshift. The only exception is that it will downshift when coming to a stop to prevent stalling--IIRC, in SST mode, they won't even shift if you hit the redline.

thats why my fricken 01 ls8 doesnt have the audiophile system they got rid of it in my year. stupid lincoln lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back