help with battery draining problem

sho89mtx

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
keeping in mind that I have a brand new alternator and brand new battery, lately something is draining my battery and I have no idea what it is. I never get a "check charging system" message when driving it like I did when I needed a new battery and alternator, but this week it was hardly driven because of the holidays and my wife went to start it up and it wouldn't turn over. so then I jumped it(which took maybe 1 minute to turn over)and it was fine for about 2 days again of just sitting there no be driven, but when I went and moved my car yesterday it started hesitantly and then the lights gauge lights were so dim , u could tell that the batter was gonnna die again. Anyone know what this could be? I'll probably charge it up again and take it to autozone to have my alternator and battery checked on their machine, but I would doubt a brand new one would be the problem.

thanks,
scott

If you have any lights that arent turning off, that could be it. Check your glove box, and trunk lights, I've seen those stuck on before. If it's none of those, I have a feeling you have a short to ground somewhere, it's just not blowing a fuse.

94m5 said:
If you have any lights that arent turning off, that could be it. Check your glove box, and trunk lights, I've seen those stuck on before. If it's none of those, I have a feeling you have a short to ground somewhere, it's just not blowing a fuse.

Yeah went to autzone and they tested both the battery and alternator and everything was fine and he said the same thing and noticed a wire connected to the battery with a fuse attached to it that he thought was to an amplifier or something, must be to my cd changer that doesn't work anymore, anyway....he said to take out that fuse when i got home and try to start it tommoroow morning if it starts fine, than that's the problem, if not, it's something else, what do you think?

It could be an amplifier thats not kicking off like it should. Try it out, and let us know.....

Mike

I have the same problem with my 95, but I have no aftermarket stuff coming off the battery. The car is completely stock. I am going to experiment with turning the copressor for the airride off while it sits. It would be a pain if you had to do it every time you walked away from the car though. If this cures it I would say the problem is leaking airbags.

94m5 said:
It could be an amplifier thats not kicking off like it should. Try it out, and let us know.....

Mike
yep that ws the problem, pulled the fuse and it hadn't had any problems since, but I still have no idea what that wire goes to, does the cd changer have a wire that connects to the fuse, I didn't think I had an amplifier, I'll have to check

disconnect the neg cable and put a test light between the cable and the batt if there is a draw it will light then pull one fuse at a time and when the light goes out you will know what sys is causing the prob, sorry sho89mtx that i couldnt help sooner but that is the easy way to find a draw for anyone else with the same prob

Members online

Back