Underdrive Pulleys

StealthLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok i'm fairly new to the LS world but i'm no new face to the world of autmotive modifications. So while the LS obviously doesn't have as high of a demand for aftermarket performance parts as say as Mustang or a piece of crap honda :ricesmile it seems that underdrive pulleys are the most common mod behind cold air intake or cat back exhaust, i mean you can get underdrive pulleys for a 2000 ford taurus (not the SHO model) so why don't they have pulleys for the LS? I know there are a few threads on this but its mostly on an individual basis...I.E. machined pulleys...I was just wondering if there is someone taking a proactive step in getting the pulleys for all LS owners. Just a question that makes you go, HUH?

shoshop has a lot of stuff for 2.5 duratec svt contour and cougar.
they even do a 3.0L upgrade and were working on a 3.5 duratec.
perhaps some of their pulleys would work? They are 2 pulley sets
and retain the factory hamonic dampner.

well - in our past discussions - the LS seems an unlikely canidate for underdrive pulleys since it is very electronic loaded....

and only using a 110amp alternator. :rolleyes: at least on my 93 tbird, i could upgrade to a later model(94-97) 130 amp and it was plug and play.

pulley rpm

Does anyone know @ what rpm does the ls alternator reach a full charge?
Mine is A Manual tranny so I feel as though it probably spends a little more
time at higher rpm. I dont spend extended time idling in one spot. Places to
go, things to do

You also have to consider reduced cooling ability because the water pump is slowed down. I'd just look for power elsewhere.

I read that dyno tests only showed a few HP increase and only at HIGH RPMs fpr underdrive sets.

Underdrive pulleys are useful in some applications and not so useful in others. The LS could benefit from a smaller crank pulley if someone offered the aftermarket support for the application.

Members online

No members online now.
Back