Forward Strut Rod Spacers

DLF

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The stock two piece spacers for the forward strut rod bushings are obsolete. And usually, they're rusted to the point of having to be cut off on northern cars.

Such is the case with the car I currently have on my lift. So in order to install new Ford forward bushings (E9SZ3B271A, F7SZ3A225AA), I needed new spacers.

I've seen some designs for one-piece spacers, but I don't see how they'll work using the stock washers, which I wanted to retain, so I made some two-piece spacers from seamless 304 stainless tubing - 1" x 0.109" x 0.782", which fits over the strut rod without enlargement.

The body of each piece is 1.4" long, with a machined .875" diameter x .375" long slip joint (which I'll probably change to .500" long on the next set). I used 1.5" diameter stainless washers, opened the center holes to 20mm, and welded them to the tubes after filing three half rounds to accept the welds. I had to enlarge the center hole on the forward stock washer to 1" to accept my new spacers.

The first pic shows a set of stock spacers.

HPIM3288.jpg

HPIM3304.jpg

HPIM3305.jpg

HPIM3284.jpg

HPIM3299.jpg

HPIM3300.jpg

HPIM3301.jpg

HPIM3293.jpg

HPIM3294.jpg

HPIM3295.jpg

Looking good
The ones I made are one piece and do retain the stock washers (unmodified).
They are in my 95 as we type and second set will be going in my 97
Also yours look a lot easier and faster to make

Great idea Doug. I just installed a set of stock bushings in our other car. i was able to get the old spacers off and trimmed the inner spacer down. The confusing part was that in the ford manual they clearly state to ensure the inner spacer is shorter than the outer sleeve but the factory configuration has the inner spacer longer. Are you planning on selling these? I probably would have bought a set 2-3 weeks ago. If I remember correctly the last time I priced the full kit before they went bye-bye they were really expensive.....like 150 per side.

I also have a OEM bushing kit with the spacers I got off EBAY for $50 but it does not do much good without another one.

Nice machining work Doug. I'd be interested in a set if you are going to make a batch.

I looked a little closer. Did not realize at first this is not a sleeve within a sleeve approach. I like this better than the stock design.

Nice machining work Doug. I'd be interested in a set if you are going to make a batch.

I'm only planning on making these for my cars, or cars that I have on my lift.

I'd probably want too much for them for it to be worthwhile to sell them. :rolleyes:

The materials are ~ $20 + shipping, then there's the machine time, welding, bead blasting, etc.

I'd probably want too much for them for it to be worthwhile to sell them. :rolleyes:

The materials are ~ $20 + shipping, then there's the machine time, welding, bead blasting, etc.

It always takes more then peeps think to whip stuff up. I get stuck in same boat. I like to make my stuff then others want it and have to say sorry just not enough money to make for sale.

It always takes more then peeps think to whip stuff up. I get stuck in same boat. I like to make my stuff then others want it and have to say sorry just not enough money to make for sale.

Exactly. I had a few guys busting my balls on the price of my crossover caps. I told them that I'd sell it to them cheaper, but it would have jagged edges, it would have tooling marks all over it, and it MIGHT fit right. Otherwise, the price was set... :rolleyes:

The full Ford kit with sleeves and bushings was over $210. Bushings by themselves are what, $50? Not sure what its worth to you but you may be able to sell them at $150 a set with no issues. I would pay that if I needed new SRBs and had dammaged sleeves. Much more worth it than replacing Moog or Autozone ones every 5000 miles.

The full Ford kit with sleeves and bushings was over $210. Bushings by themselves are what, $50? Not sure what its worth to you but you may be able to sell them at $150 a set with no issues. I would pay that if I needed new SRBs and had damaged sleeves. Much more worth it than replacing Moog or Autozone ones every 5000 miles.

Well, $150 is about what it would take.... ;)

wow 150, that is killer cheap, i would buy some if i needed them, i before went to ford and it is 127 for the set, plus they are the cheap ass two peice slide style, nice job Doug, you and your lathe make magic mickey look like he is playing with yarn

Made a set for my car, this time with the .500" slip joint that I mentioned earlier.

HPIM3452.jpg

HPIM3456.jpg

HPIM3457.jpg

HPIM3458.jpg

Last edited:
OK, if anyone wants me to make them a set, I'd be willing to make them for $175 shipped (lower 48).

Or, you could just use the design details that I've posted and make your own. ;)

Please remember that you'll have to enlarge the hole in the forward washer to 1" to use my sleeves. If you don't have the means to enlarge the hole in the washer, I'd be willing to do it for you n/c.

HPIM3312.jpg

Last edited:
The full Ford kit with sleeves and bushings was over $210. Bushings by themselves are what, $50?

Actually, the bushings themselves are just a little over $25 + shipping.

E9SZ3B271A - $8.46 ea.
F7SZ3A225AA - $4.24 ea.

Well, to my everlasting surprise, I've taken orders for four sets so far.... :cool:

I ended up going poly bushings w/ my car using the gold one piece sleeve... im guessing it was energy suspension... but anyway, that looks really good!!!!!

And mine were Soo rusted to hell that this thread interested me.... I had NO idea those sleeves were two piece when I was beating them from the threads of the strut rod.... you always do amazing work.

I ended up going poly bushings w/ my car using the gold one piece sleeve... im guessing it was energy suspension... but anyway, that looks really good!!!!!

And mine were Soo rusted to hell that this thread interested me.... I had NO idea those sleeves were two piece when I was beating them from the threads of the strut rod.... you always do amazing work.

Good luck with the Poly bushings. I tried them once on my SC and ended up having to go back to the OEM bushings.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Last edited:
I have the Oem bushing, the ones i took off still looked good so i figured they lasted 12 years or so already, 210???? wow you went to a dealership in abu dabi, that would be silly to pay that much for that crap

I have the Oem bushing, the ones i took off still looked good so i figured they lasted 12 years or so already, 210???? wow you went to a dealership in abu dabi, that would be silly to pay that much for that crap

abu dabi? wtf?
the ford bushing kit was $210. no longer available. the OEM "crap" was the best way to replace these rusted sleeves without going custom.
the ford bushings alone are $35 shipped. still available.

Only two sets still available from this batch of 7. :cool:

HPIM3519.jpg

HPIM3509.jpg

HPIM3513.jpg

HPIM3518.jpg

HPIM3544.jpg

HPIM3545.jpg

HPIM3546.jpg

HPIM3540.jpg

Last edited:
Down to the last set. I've ordered materials to make more, but it'll be a while as I've got other projects to finish for other customers.

I installed a set of these in my car today, along with Koni's and new TRW LCA's. :cool:

Below are pics of one of the stock sleeves that I removed and the new and old bushings.

HPIM3557.jpg

HPIM3558.jpg

HPIM3559.jpg

HPIM3569.jpg

HPIM3571.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back