Your Biggest Bug About Your LS

JG, my plastic row/panel buttons also broke off.

I removed the dash panel section and used a Superglue adhesive to re-attach the proken piece.

So far, so good, but, I've gotten into the habit of VERY GENTLY depressing those buttons.

Jerry

Done this twice already in the past, and now on level -2 softness button pressing.

Mine has probably held up well because the LS is my wife's daily driver.
And, she's not in the habit of resetting any of the buttons.

(I found the car on a dealer's lot in 2004, jumped at the Ford discount plus the Ford Z plan pricing, and we bought it. But, it's hers. Replaced her 1989 TownCar, Signature Series.)

When I use the car, I have used the buttons. So far, so good.

one more thing I hate; LS parts seem to be getting harder to find. OR expensive as heck. 1800 bucks for a new headlight assembly? or a cowl panel that theres only 2 left in America?

$1800 has been the price for a new HID assembly for years now. You can get it here for $1371
http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partl...~2006-lincoln-ls-1952284-1953473-1592540.html

I too am disturbed by the fact that many parts just aren't made or stocked anymore.

Oh, well I guess you learn something new everyday. I don't have hids or anything just the stock halogens but they just have a glare to them when looking to the side so I thought about new ones, but for around 800 bucks I think I will live.

I didn't like the large Gen 2 headrests so I swapped them out for some Gen 1s.

Good to know. Mine are too big and this just went on my to do list. IIRC, in the new MKS, they are even bigger and block more of your visibility. Right now, I have my driver side headrest turned backwards so I don't have it bumping me in the head at that odd angle it has. I have tan leather, camel interior, hopefully these won't be too hard to find.

Good to know. Mine are too big and this just went on my to do list. IIRC, in the new MKS, they are even bigger and block more of your visibility. Right now, I have my driver side headrest turned backwards so I don't have it bumping me in the head at that odd angle it has. I have tan leather, camel interior, hopefully these won't be too hard to find.
The angle is for safety reasons in rear end collisions. Even though it's uncomfortable it could save a serious neck injury. Daimler has a nice passive design that deploys out in a collision.

The angle is for safety reasons in rear end collisions. Even though it's uncomfortable it could save a serious neck injury. Daimler has a nice passive design that deploys out in a collision.

I'm 5'8" so I'm not concerned about what could
happen.
The Gen 1s are fine for me.
The front ones were too big for my liking
and hard to see around.
I left the back ones in place.

The high beam stalk. On most cars you move the stalk forward to flash the high beams and back to lock them on. On the LS it's back slightly to flash them and back all the way to lock them on. If I ever need to flash someone I just flash them slowly (locked on, then off) rather than try to feel for the point where they just come on briefly.

The high beam stalk. On most cars you move the stalk forward to flash the high beams and back to lock them on. On the LS it's back slightly to flash them and back all the way to lock them on. If I ever need to flash someone I just flash them slowly (locked on, then off) rather than try to feel for the point where they just come on briefly.

The only time a flash is needed (in America) is to alert someone their high beams are on and blinding on-coming traffic. I know in Europe the flash is a "get out of my way" signal. If I'm above the speed limit (which I'm usually 10+ on the freeway), in the #2 lane and get flashed (or tail-gated) I figure it's time to obey this law and slow to the 65 speed limit. Same with the carpool lane. There are other available lanes....... And no, I'm NOT a left lane camper. I HATE blocking faster traffic; ergo my choice of the #2 lane.

So..... Why the need for a "flash" feature???????

...So..... Why the need for a "flash" feature???????

It's also used on country 2-lane roads to signal your intent to pass someone.

I too would prefer the pull to flash and push for high beams arrangement. My other cars have that.

I'd say it was pretty old. It was in the [Alabama] driver's manual way back when I got my license. "Flash to pass."

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...eneral-discussion/135282-what-flash-pass.html

Probably more two lane roads in Alabama than The People's Republik of California. Then again, a quick check of the CVC yields......

Yielding for Passing

21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

Amended Sec. 9, Ch. 440, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.
Amended Sec. 40, Ch. 724, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

I know I don't remember this in Driver's Ed......

Learn something new every day!!!!!!!! Thanks for the enlightenment!!!!!!

I agree and, IIRC, the Sables we owned were that way.

We need that in Oklahoma. Over here people pull in front of you when you're almost on them for a pass on multilanes, or speed up if there's nobody to putter by.

On the flash, it's also used to warn oncoming traffic that there is a reason to slow down ahead of them. The usual reason is to warn of a speed trap, although I also use it to warn when people are coming upon a traffic jam or accident in an area where they'll come on it blind. Oncoming traffic will assume I'm signaling a speed trap so they'll slow down and watch more carefully provided they aren't eating a hamburger and reading a newspaper while texting someone, driving 80+MPH in a 65MPH zone.

TRANSMISSION problems bad factory fluid having to replace solenoid

The only time a flash is needed (in America) is to alert someone their high beams are on and blinding on-coming traffic. I know in Europe the flash is a "get out of my way" signal. If I'm above the speed limit (which I'm usually 10+ on the freeway), in the #2 lane and get flashed (or tail-gated) I figure it's time to obey this law and slow to the 65 speed limit. Same with the carpool lane. There are other available lanes....... And no, I'm NOT a left lane camper. I HATE blocking faster traffic; ergo my choice of the #2 lane.

So..... Why the need for a "flash" feature???????

Usually for the first reason mentioned. I don't know if there's something different about where I live, but I see someone riding around in traffic with their high beams on at least once per week. And no, I'm not just an old curmudgeon who thinks these newfangled blue lights are too bright (although I also use it to remind people that HID's don't belong in halogen housings, since I've often heard the defense that "I don't get flashed, so I must not be blinding other drivers"). Lastly, I also use it to warn drivers of obstructions ahead (e.g. an accident or road debris).

Last edited:
Usually for the first reason mentioned. I don't know if there's something different about where I live, but I see someone riding around in traffic with their high beams on at least once per week. And no, I'm not just an old curmudgeon who thinks these newfangled blue lights are too bright (although I also use it to remind people that HID's don't belong in halogen housings, since I've often heard the defense that "I don't get flashed, so I must not be blinding other drivers"). Lastly, I also use it to warn drivers of obstructions ahead (e.g. an accident or road debris).

Royer...........

It goes to -20F or colder here.
I have a remote starter and when it's cold I run my car for up to 15 minutes before I drive it.
If you push the center buttons on the hot cold seat controls together they start up with the car and the seats warm up to the temperature setting.

I have owned my LS since Nov 2005 (2006 model year), and this site constantly teaches me new things about my car. I guess that I should read the owner's manual. Or, I just simply enjoy driving it.

I have owned my LS since Nov 2005 (2006 model year), and this site constantly teaches me new things about my car. I guess that I should read the owner's manual. Or, I just simply enjoy driving it.

Yup..... Simultaneously pressing the heat and cool buttons synchronizes the seats to the climate control setting. Mine are set that way 99.99% of the time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back