When should the timing belt be replaced?

Evian

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
(This is only preventive medicine) When should the timing belt be replaced? Is the belt a metal chain or a rubber belt? I don't know much about Lincoln Mark VIII, so please bear with me. Is the water pump in front or behind the timing belt? I owned a Porsche 928 which had the pump behind the belt (the perfect time bomb). Any help in this matter would be appreciated. :F

I'm pretty sure there are 4 timing chains, one for each of the overhead cams. As for replacing them, I don't know. All I know is it would not be a fun project...

There all chains, no blets, there are 3 total. In the nearly 8 years I have been working on the 32v's I have yet to replace a timing chain set , unless of course I am ripping the engine apart and it's right there.

mk8engine.jpg

ONEBADMK8 said:
There all chains, no blets, there are 3 total. In the nearly 8 years I have been working on the 32v's I have yet to replace a timing chain set , unless of course I am ripping the engine apart and it's right there.

I notice 4 in there ;)

Theres definately 4.Geno was probably hitting the gonja when he typed that.

Welcome to the groups.
When it comes to timing 4 cams, that is an ART! Something that your average or even above average gearhead would normally touch. I had a cold start problem (listed in the stickies) and thought it was a broke timing chain. The dealership told me some ungodly number ($3500 I think) and most "high displacement" speed shops wouldnt touch it. the only one was a "Import tuner" shop and they said "give us $1200 now call us in 2 weeks and we'll tell you how much your final bill will be" you can buy a reman engine for those prices.

After having two 930 (air cooled) and a 944 (water cooled) I know about the water pump timing belt at every 50k dance. You wont need to worry about that with the ford Modular motor. there are motors out there well in the 300k miles

Thanks alot for the info. I am so happy now. I wasn't quite sure what I got myself into. It is good to know that it has chains instead of a rubber belt. Thanks again!

Now dont go thinking that just cause its a chain that it will last forever.
Chains can stretch over time.
Basically if you have to have the engine apart dont hesitate, replace all four of them.

I SEE your engine pic....and raise you two more!

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

There are 2 "primary" timing chanins, and 2 "secondary" timing chains. There is no "service interval" for them. The water pump does not have to come off to change them, as you can see in the third picture. Nor do they have to come off to change the water pump.

timing chain

you say its easy, very easy is the timing chain that easy as you clame it to be, because I know you have to know a little something befour you can touch an engine like this one.

It also depends on the driver. If you drive hard on a car you'll need to have your timing belt changed. If you drive right, get the oil changed regularly and follow the manual on when to get things serviced, you might not need to for the period of ownership.

Members online

No members online now.
Back