What did you do to your LS today?

The revised idler pulley design has ridges on side to keep the belt aligned on the pulley, which solves the problem

l_ZO_38001_Fro.jpg
$_1.jpg

Sorry if I am rehashing an old issue.

Dug into my 05's belt drive today after buying an idler pulley. FWIW for cheap impatient people like me: the Auto Zone pulley ($18) is not flanged but the Gates ($21) is, looks just like the revised Motorcraft design.

Went into the belt drive to address some chirp, my first time really getting under the hood. Replaced the tensioner (original at ~87K) and found out a rock stuck in the belt (!), one of those seems to have fixed it. Bought an idler pulley but decided to wait until the cooling system refresh to replace that, not a ton of room in there to work and I was glad just to get the tensioner and belt back on with only minor blood loss...

Dug into my 05's belt drive today after buying an idler pulley. FWIW for cheap impatient people like me: the Auto Zone pulley ($18) is not flanged but the Gates ($21) is, looks just like the revised Motorcraft design.

I ordered the Gates #36270 flanged idler pulley off RockAuto for $19.22 with shipping.

A guy swerved into my 03. Not worth repairing. So I bought another LS! Light tundra metallic I think. I hope I don't regret it. Anybody selling eibach springs?
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4166.JPG

I'm always amazed that people can read through this forum and not heed the advice of others that have already been there! Genuine Ford parts arrived today from Tasca for the full cooling system overhaul on my new 06. I want to say thanks to all who contributed to the Gen II cooling system overhaul thread. The part numbers, advice and descriptions are a life-saver!

20170118_231730.jpg

Is is more of a snapping sound (loader than ticking). I found this video on youtube that captures the noise;

HEY! That's my video! :) I also did belt/tensioner/idler at the same time. This winter, the noise has not returned.

Hey Devin, you and I were going through the same thing at the time.

Got some visor light LEDs and put them in since we're between too-cold-to-be-outside weather and do-actual-work-on-the-LS weather. Much easier than the overheads, and bright enough that I can be reminded how dirty my car is, even at night! I think it's worthwhile even if you don't usually put on makeup while driving.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZSh8D4KHKbXWGdee6

HEY! That's my video! :) I also did belt/tensioner/idler at the same time. This winter, the noise has not returned.

I got the idler and tensioner replaced today. Glad I did because after 14 year and only 59K miles the bearings in both were starting to spin not so freely any more. She now has a noticeable quieter and smoother sounding idle (even disregarding the snapping sound).

Yeah, the out of sync, tick tick ... tick noise from the tentioner hitting it's stopper during the first couple of minutes of start up during colder mornings. Only did it for me after it had sat over night. Once it had stretched it's legs for the day it wouldn't make the sound again even when cold out. Was only on first initial start up in the mornings and the noise always went away within a minute or so.

Bad failing belt tentioner. Best to replace immediately when one hears that sound, could result in more damage if left unattended.

+ 1 on the repair.

I drove it! After buying my 06 on Jan 2nd, overheating on the way home, ordering parts for cooling system overhaul, doing said overhaul yesterday, I finally had the chance to get her out and drive her today for the first time. I absolutely love this car!

Finally threw on my 19 inch Jaguar performance wheels on my 05. Love the look of them. Paint correction coming up this weekend so my car will look as good as the wheels do.
TnIw93K

GOPR1497.JPG

GOPR1498.JPG

GOPR1501.JPG

Picked it up after having front upper control arms, rear lower control arms, tie rod ends, and front struts replaced. Goodness, I clearly got use to driving with worn suspension bits - could not believe how much more secure the front end felt on the way home.

Had it appraised for the insurance company. Fighting over price.

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

Looks great, like new again.
Must fix holes in bumper cover.
Sure it's on the list to do.

Yeah Rigs it's next on the list. It's actually not holes from a retarded license plate mount as you had mentioned before. Thankfully just some bad paint scrapes and I've got touch-up on order.

1. Replaced passenger front window regulator
  2. Replaced broken defrost vents
  3. Replaced broken driver side sun visor
  4. Replaced missing passenger side grab handle
  5. Spent a few hundred$ ordering next weekend's projects
  6. Spent 6 quality hours with my youngest son working on "his" LS!
  7. Priceless

Replaced my front shocks upper mounts to cure some awful squeeking noises when I turned the steering. So far so good.

Replaced my front shocks upper mounts to cure some awful squeeking noises when I turned the steering. So far so good.
Wow that fixed it? I have awful squeaking and creaking mainly when I turn wheel a bit off center in either direction. Everyone thus far has said lower ball joints. This is interesting because I had done upper control arms and front shocks when the awful noise began.

1. Replaced passenger front window regulator
  2. Replaced broken defrost vents
  3. Replaced broken driver side sun visor
  4. Replaced missing passenger side grab handle
  5. Spent a few hundred$ ordering next weekend's projects
  6. Spent 6 quality hours with my youngest son working on "his" LS!
  7. Priceless

Where'd you get the sun visor?

Put our last LS up for sale... From 1 to 2 to 3 to 2 to 1 then no LSes... The end of an era.

Members online

Back