Unusual issue when driving in light snow

craigh

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have my second 2000 V6 5 speed and I have found this problem with both cars. When driving in light snow the car will occasionally "stumble" like the engine might be stopping. I have only had it happen on the highway and only in a light snowfall. I don't see any electrical shutdown, but it kind of acts like that is happening. Only lasts a fraction of a second but is noticeable. Never had this happen with any other car.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was your car a auto or 5 speed and was there a solution? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My MT V6 has done this for years. Only light snow (never rain or heavy snow). Not all of the time but often enough that its annoying. I've never found a cause and there was a thread years ago on it.

Found another MTX owner on another board that has the same issue.

Has anyone with an automatic transmission had this issue? Anyone?

Could you be losing traction for just a split second and not noticing it? Maybe a slick spot?

I very rarely use my LS in any snow/ice, and, we're old, so we drive like old people. But, my Explorer will go into all wheel drive mode sometimes when taking a slow turn even in light snow.

You mentioned that it happens on the highway, so turns don't seem to be an issue.

Could you be losing traction for just a split second and not noticing it? Maybe a slick spot?

I very rarely use my LS in any snow/ice, and, we're old, so we drive like old people. But, my Explorer will go into all wheel drive mode sometimes when taking a slow turn even in light snow.

You mentioned that it happens on the highway, so turns don't seem to be an issue.

Jerry, I am also on the older side of the members on this site and I also drive slower than I used too. The problem definitely is not a traction issue. A few days ago I was driving in sunny conditions on a relatively dry freeway. A semi that had snow on the top of the trailer entered the freeway ahead of me. The snow started blowing off the trailer and just that dusting of snow caused the the car to stumble or hesitate 2 or 3 times. So I think I have the cause nailed down. Just need to know how this might be affecting the car and also looking to find out if this is limited to 5 speed LS's. I have searched the internet for this problem in other cars and I did not find anything out there. This is going to be difficult to troubleshoot so I am looking for any help from other members.

Jerry, I am also on the older side of the members on this site and I also drive slower than I used too. The problem definitely is not a traction issue. A few days ago I was driving in sunny conditions on a relatively dry freeway. A semi that had snow on the top of the trailer entered the freeway ahead of me. The snow started blowing off the trailer and just that dusting of snow caused the the car to stumble or hesitate 2 or 3 times. So I think I have the cause nailed down. Just need to know how this might be affecting the car and also looking to find out if this is limited to 5 speed LS's. I have searched the internet for this problem in other cars and I did not find anything out there. This is going to be difficult to troubleshoot so I am looking for any help from other members.

05 LS V8
I've had this issue too but not in a manual. It feels like a miss almost but it only happens when the snow is blowing. It's never done it any other time so it doesn't bother me.
Be nice to know what causes it though.

No traction control on MT in 2000. I agree it is not traction related at all. Only in a dry blowing snow.

No traction control on MT in 2000. I agree it is not traction related at all. Only in a dry blowing snow.

Pragmatic is correct. The 2000 LS 5 speed was the only LS that did not offer any kind of traction control.

My 04 V8 automatic... gives an occaisional "lurch" or "buck" on the highway during the winter months. First couple times it freaked me out. Then I noticed later driving the same route frequently... that it happened at the same spots. I started looking around at the terrain... and noticed that when the car did this,,, I was driving over a culvert pipe or small ditch that went under the higway. My guess... is that the road was freezing over at that spot,,, and the tire spin was so quick and short, (at 70mph), that the traction contol didn't have time to kick in or flash the light.

Not saying this is everyone's issue... but something to consider.

Last edited:
I've had this exact same issue. I too have an 01 manual. It's only happened twice this winter so far, and both times was very light snow. Very weird..if it is from the snow in the intake or something weird like that, I'd assume it would have affected it in the heavy snowstorms I've driven through.

I've had this exact same issue. I too have an 01 manual. It's only happened twice this winter so far, and both times was very light snow. Very weird..if it is from the snow in the intake or something weird like that, I'd assume it would have affected it in the heavy snowstorms I've driven through.

Thanks for the feedback on this. Really it looks like it is limited to 5 speeds. Strange situation and much harder to diagnosis. I also am thinking that it is somehow intake related but I don't know what differences is setup there could be between a 5 speed and auto.

Over the weekend I did clean the MAF and reassembled the intake. There was a gasket loose at the airbox and I corrected that. Have not yet had a situation where there is light snow to retest this as we are just getting fog in the area. Let's keep this post going and maybe someone will come up with a cause and we can all benefit. I am going to post this on LLSOC also and see what comes up there, but there are not many 5 speeds owners left there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back