That was fun

Kevin

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just finished flushing and refilling the LS.

Lost a bolt right off the bat from the thermostat housing, couldn't tell where it went. And like all bolts in the engine bay, they never drop down to the ground. Fergetabout it, find it later.

Flushed it out with the garden hose, untill all the water was crystal clear, put it all back together (minus the one bolt in the thermostat housing). Top up the fluid in both the reservoir and engine fill hole. Idle for a few minutes with the heater on full blast.

Unscrewed the heater air bleed, and the squirt of fluid made me fumble the cap, it dropped down under the master brake cylinder. And, like all nuts and bolts in the engine bay - it didn't drop down either. So, I had to take off the wipers, and cowling just to get access to the area. Found it, wiggled my fingers in there - and it drops down to the ground.

Then I heard a squeeling noise when I fired it up again, so I looked at the belt. It's turning, but one of the pulley's isn't. Took that pulley off, and sure enough the bolt from the t-stat housing was jambing it up. Put it all back together, and took it for a spin around the block.

Surprise - the gravel road at the back of my block with some sweet curves has been recently paved. So I took them at about 80mph :steering - before anything over 45 would cause skidding on the gravel. A high speed run in the last 3/4 mile before the stop sign got me to about 120mph where I decided to start slowing down.

Anyways, job's done, car's cooling down - will top up with water after. Most I could get in was 6 litres, capacity is 12.

A big thanks to Lou Senko (QuikLS) for the procedures on how to do this job.

"Most I could get in was 6 litres, capacity is 12."

You probably did not drain the block. About half the coolant sits in the block. That is why I always say add antifreeze to 50% capacity first and then add water to top up. That way, starting with 50% Capacity antifreeze and with the water in the block and the top up, you wind up with a 50% mix. There is also some water in the heater core and pipes etc.

If you do a good flush with clean water, then the water stuck in the block is fine. If all you do is dump it, then the dirty water in the block will pollute the new coolant. Looks like you did a good flush so the water should be clean. I like the Prestone flush kits for this reason.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Thanks for the assurance Jim, that's pretty much what I did.

After flushing it for several minutes, I was sure that the only fluids left in the system (with the exception of the heater core) was pure water, no anti-freeze left.

So when I added 6L (does that equal 6 quarts?) and that was all it would take, it had to be about 1/2 and 1/2. I knew that it was a bit strong when the litre or two in the heater core gets factored in, but hey - it gets cold here.....

Members online

No members online now.
Back