siruis satellite ?

itsnotmydaddys

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ive read other threads about this and i want it now. is it as good as it seems to be. my question is do i have to get a new HU or can i just get a seperate (mounting radio, module, dont know what toi call it) if so how much am i looking to get it all going. what all would i need to get it hooked up to my factory radio. thanks any info would be great.

I have Sirius ('04 with the Sirius-ready Audiophile head unit), and I love it; most of the time I'm in the car, I'm listening to it (Radio Margaritaville, baby :Beer ). I don't remember if it was in '03 or '04, but Ford switched to Sirius-ready units in the LS, which only require the installation of the Ford Sirius adapter and antenna. It's completely seamless (it uses the radio display), and the steering wheel controls will operate the Sirius unit.

For the earlier models, you'll have to go with another unit; in the Crutchfield catalog, they had a neat looking unit with a low-profile display. Dunno if they use FM modulators or hook into the auxiliary inputs of the head unit, though. Seems like I read somewhere about an adapter (from PIE?) that will alow you to connect an aftermarket Sirius adapter to the auxiliary RCA inputs on the factory head unit.

itsnotmydaddys said:
ive read other threads about this and i want it now. is it as good as it seems to be. my question is do i have to get a new HU or can i just get a seperate (mounting radio, module, dont know what toi call it) if so how much am i looking to get it all going. what all would i need to get it hooked up to my factory radio. thanks any info would be great.

I think most of the national electronics chains (Circuit City, Best Buy, and Radio Shack) sell and install satellite radio. If your car is 2003 or earlier, I believe you'll have to add a separate tuner/receiver, but many of the installations I've read about were very clean. I'd love to get this in my next car. Good luck on your project!

p.s. Howard Stern is on Sirius, so if you like his type of radio, get this.

itsnotmydaddys said:
yeah howard is switching to um um (he cant say siruis) a very small reason why i want it. but i was looking on ebay for a seperate docking station and i came across this. would this work or what else would i need. whats a good module or are they pretty much the same. http://cgi.ebay.com/WHOLESALE-LOT-B...820346169QQcategoryZ58036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stern is probably the biggest foulmouthed idiot moron on the radio. Right behind him is Al Franken and Randi Rhodes. But hey, if that's your taste, go for it.

ToddG said:
Stern is probably the biggest foulmouthed idiot moron on the radio. Right behind him is Al Franken and Randi Rhodes. But hey, if that's your taste, go for it.
Sometimes its that foulmouth and stuff other people wont say that is totally true and very funny stuff. Keep in mind, its only entertainment.

Man you guys can't stay on topic for sh!t. Anyways, your just looking for a plug and play sirius radio right? If that's the case it will come with everything you need; antenna, car mount, fm modulator, and car adapter. Make sure the radio is a car kit, not home kit. I think you can get some with color screens now, but other than that they are all pretty much the same. Just depends on what style you like. You can use a pie adapter for a cleaner install and better sound clarity, this way you won't have to use the fm modulator. My brother paid about $150 for his with installation. This was about a couple years ago, so it may be cheaper today.

If you want to see what sirius is about go here:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conte...tent&cid=1093297055690&source=661&occ=cj66108

Click on free online trial on the right side. Give them your e-mail address. They'll send you a password and you'll get a free 3-day trial.

SoonerLS said:
I have Sirius ('04 with the Sirius-ready Audiophile head unit), and I love it; most of the time I'm in the car, I'm listening to it (Radio Margaritaville, baby :Beer ). I don't remember if it was in '03 or '04, but Ford switched to Sirius-ready units in the LS, which only require the installation of the Ford Sirius adapter and antenna. It's completely seamless (it uses the radio display), and the steering wheel controls will operate the Sirius unit.

For the earlier models, you'll have to go with another unit; in the Crutchfield catalog, they had a neat looking unit with a low-profile display. Dunno if they use FM modulators or hook into the auxiliary inputs of the head unit, though. Seems like I read somewhere about an adapter (from PIE?) that will alow you to connect an aftermarket Sirius adapter to the auxiliary RCA inputs on the factory head unit.
Can a '02 6 disc indash head unit just swap out with a newer 6 disc indash w/satellite control ? A factory antenna unit would be needed also i guess.

Fla02LS said:
Can a '02 6 disc indash head unit just swap out with a newer 6 disc indash w/satellite control ? A factory antenna unit would be needed also i guess.

No. Two different radios. Ford went to satellite ready radios in 2004 in every model I've seen. If anyone has anything sooner than that, please let me know.

I have XM satellite in my Cobra. I absolutely love it. It has the satellite ready radio and is a breeze to use. I prefer the programming of XM to Sirius, so I went that route. But Ford radios are set up for a factory installation of the Sirius add on that is plug and play. Actually though, my XM pretty well was too.

Fla02LS said:
From what I've read, when Ford changed the head units in '04 (presumably when they switched to the Sirius-ready units), they also changed the connectors, so it wouldn't be straight plug-n-play. Maybe someone makes an adapter, but if you're going to that extent, you might as well go to an aftermarket satellite-ready head unit.

Starting in '06, NASCAR will be switching to Sirius from XM. Yet another reason to have it! (Much better than Howard Stern....) :)

SoonerLS said:
From what I've read, when Ford changed the head units in '04 (presumably when they switched to the Sirius-ready units), they also changed the connectors, so it wouldn't be straight plug-n-play. Maybe someone makes an adapter, but if you're going to that extent, you might as well go to an aftermarket satellite-ready head unit.

I have not seen or heard of an adapter set of cables for the swap. There are a ton of people who would buy them if they did. I think it's more than a plug change...I believe they are wired different as far as the amps, etc are concerned too. I need to look at a wiring diagram to be sure though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back