Rear shock mounts (upper)

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed this for some time and it was very slight, so I wasn't concerned about it.

I'm pretty sure it is the upper shock mounts. My question is can the M8 still be driven till I get the new mounts or can this damage anything else. To me it looks as if the metal frame is coming up near the mount bolt. See below. The rust is only on the left side.

Which are best? I found these https://www.supercoupeperformance.com/rear-poly-shock-mount-kit-for-non-arc-shocks-502

But they do not much look like the stock mount to me.

20170102_233612[1].jpg

I made a video of me pushing down on the bumper so you can see the play in the shock. Now just to get it somewhere so I can link URL. I don't have a youtube account.

20170102_233612[1].jpg

Check with: 98lincmk7lsc
Have purchased a few Mark items from him. Stainless Steel Crossover cap is a good one.

I dont remember the part number but I used the Ford Part number on ebay and got 2 new Ford shock mounts for $30, you can also look for universal shock bushings and burn the old ones out of the housing... The ones at SCP are a little over priced and wont fit over the stock 93-94 electronic shocks. Im not sure if they fit others... When I called to complain he said I either have to drill out the metal sleeve or buy shocks from him....

Have purchased a few Mark items from him. Stainless Steel Crossover cap is a good one.

I dont remember the part number but I used the Ford Part number on ebay and got 2 new Ford shock mounts for $30, you can also look for universal shock bushings and burn the old ones out of the housing... The ones at SCP are a little over priced and wont fit over the stock 93-94 electronic shocks. Im not sure if they fit others... When I called to complain he said I either have to drill out the metal sleeve or buy shocks from him....

Thanks Guys!

I've been checking adds for those parting out M8's. There are 3 currently near my location, but two of three have already sold the shocks and the 3rd hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The more I read, the more I would like to get Cobra shocks (Blistins) I think 03? I find it surprising that Mustang shocks would fit the M8. If I bought these I think I still have the same issue with the mount correct?

My other thinking is installing the shocks from a 93 or 94 M8. I really like the idea of soft or firm setting. Was thinking I could put a switch in the dash to select sorf or firm as I like. I have a 88 Turbo Coupe and it has PRC Program Ride Control, that firms or softens the shocks depending on lateral G forces, throttle acceleration, braking pressure and vehicle speed. It also has a driver selectable switch. Figure I could install a switch to move the shocks from soft to firm mode.

My other thinking is installing the shocks from a 93 or 94 M8. I really like the idea of soft or firm setting. Was thinking I could put a switch in the dash to select sorf or firm as I like. I have a 88 Turbo Coupe and it has PRC Program Ride Control, that firms or softens the shocks depending on lateral G forces, throttle acceleration, braking pressure and vehicle speed. It also has a driver selectable switch. Figure I could install a switch to move the shocks from soft to firm mode.

First, they would have to be New Old Stock, no used 93 shocks are going to be worth mounting.

Second, in my opinion, there is not enough difference in performance to make it worthwhile. They were simply a lame attempt by Lincoln to minimize nose dive on heavy braking and were not necessarily intended to be a handling upgrade.

The Bilstein shocks are nice but firm, full time firm. Depending on your ride tastes, you may or may not like them.

I'd recommend adjustable shocks of some sort, such as Koni's. You can then dial in your preference depending on your personal preferences.

Just my 2 cents.

Konis and 98lincmk7lsc's mounts. Mounted but unused, hell the rubber is even drilled out. $225 + shipping.

First, they would have to be New Old Stock, no used 93 shocks are going to be worth mounting.

Second, in my opinion, there is not enough difference in performance to make it worthwhile. They were simply a lame attempt by Lincoln to minimize nose dive on heavy braking and were not necessarily intended to be a handling upgrade.

The Bilstein shocks are nice but firm, full time firm. Depending on your ride tastes, you may or may not like them.

I'd recommend adjustable shocks of some sort, such as Koni's. You can then dial in your preference depending on your personal preferences.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Driller,

I found an extra set for the Turbo that are pretty decent a couple years back. Thought I may be able to do the say for the M8, with it being 10 years newer.
If you think there isn't much of a performance difference that I will look at other avenues.

I found Suncore on ebay for $110 & Free shipping with USA. I live in Canada so the shipping part will change and I think these are not great quality or are they decent?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1998-L...ash=item48424e3b3d:g:vKoAAOSwcLxYJdm0&vxp=mtr

Konis and 98lincmk7lsc's mounts. Mounted but unused, hell the rubber is even drilled out. $225 + shipping.

Hi PenGun,

Thanks for the offer, are the Konis adjustable? Can you let me know the model number so I can review them?

I think this is a possible deal, depending on the shipping costs. Lets check that first as I live in Mississauga Canada.

I will send you a PM with my email so you can send me some pics.

+1 on the mounts from Jay

Here is what he offers.

attachment.jpg

Here is how I received them.

attachment.jpg

Excellent quality thus very reliable, fair price and ready to accept your new struts!

I went with the Monroe Sensatrac 5965s which happen to ride like OEM but can only imagine what the Konis and other higher models will ride like.

Happy hunting!!!

Thanks Everyone!

Chris it 2750 miles! But I do like your positivity! Shipping here is twice or three times as much...sadly.

ya the Suncore and Arnots are pretty much the same price. Arnots are $123.45 at carid.com.

I have been doing a lot of research and found this:

You could get Koni's for an IRS Cobra. 99-04
http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?41170-Best-Shocks-for-a-Mark-VIII

the rear 2000 COBRA R Bilsteins were a success!!!
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/d...m=25&page=&topic_id=1361&prev_page=show_topic

Also
Ford Motorsport # M-18125-R00,there off the 2000 cobra R
from the same page:
A friend of mine, who ran a speedshop, told me that Tokico made the original Mark VIII shocks.
Now that the 99 and up Cobra’s use the “Mark VIII” 8.8 IRS rearend assembly maybe some of those would work.
Perhaps the heavier Mark VIII would smooth out the heavy duty Cobra shocks.

I found a site that says they have stock of the Koni 8041 1202 for $137 each and free shipping - from what i've read, think they haven't updated their site, but who knows maybe NOS?

I found
NOS Monroe Sensatrac 5950 for $40 each. I have seen where lots used and liked these for lowered M8's.

I would think this is a good deal for a good shock, no? I am still considering the Koni's for new for $137 each, if they are available that is.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Oh lord, that washer is from the car. The rest is all new. They were mounted, and they did go down the drive once, perhaps 250', but the car was never licensed when they were on it.

I'm not sure why I put that washer on, probably because they were perfect.

Hey I'm gonna put it all on the bay when I start to care about moving it, so no worries. I'm just puzzled is all.

Oh lord, that washer is from the car. The rest is all new. They were mounted, and they did go down the drive once, perhaps 250', but the car was never licensed when they were on it.

I'm not sure why I put that washer on, probably because they were perfect.

Hey I'm gonna put it all on the bay when I start to care about moving it, so no worries. I'm just puzzled is all.

Haven't ruled yours out. If new ones are in stock. (waiting to hear back) It would be about $137 CDN more for the pair and of course difference in shipping - I would have them shipped to Buffalo and pick them up on my next trip down.

I wasn't referring to the washer, I was speaking of the bottom of the shock pic when I zoomed it in. Here is how it looked on my PC. In my actual pic (much bigger) it looks a lot like rust, is it just dirt?

Koni's PenGun - Jan 10, 2017.jpg

Koni's PenGun - Jan 10, 2017.jpg

That's painted rubber. It breaks down a bit when you tighten the bolt. It's rubber the black stuff.

I'm a bit disturbed that I had to come here to get an answer when you sent me the private message in the first place. I had expected a reply.

That's painted rubber. It breaks down a bit when you tighten the bolt. It's rubber the black stuff.

I'm a bit disturbed that I had to come here to get an answer when you sent me the private message in the first place. I had expected a reply.

When you responded here saying your were puzzled, I thought it would be fine to reply to your quote here.

The only pm I sent was to provide you my email address. You didn't use it, so I figured you preferred here vs. email or PM. Thus if I didn't buy, others would see the shocks and maybe purchase.

Thanks for the update re: bottom of shocks.

Haven't ruled yours out. If new ones are in stock. (waiting to hear back) It would be about $137 CDN more for the pair and of course difference in shipping - I would have them shipped to Buffalo and pick them up on my next trip down.

I wasn't referring to the washer, I was speaking of the bottom of the shock pic when I zoomed it in. Here is how it looked on my PC. In my actual pic (much bigger) it looks a lot like rust, is it just dirt?

View attachment 828477096
The shocks are gone.

Members online

Back