Re&Re - Wiper Arm Shaft Cowl Seal

RigsLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Symptoms: Water or Washer Fluid leaking down onto Engine near Coil covers, causing Ignition misfiring.

Direct Cause: Faulty worn out Passenger Wiper Arm Shaft to Cowl Seal.

Correction: Replace Foam Seal with OEM p/n 5W4Z-54021A46-A

001.jpg

Symptoms: Weak Washer Fluid Spray, potentially leaking onto/near Coil covers, causing Ignition misfiring.

Direct Cause: Faulty worn out, deteriorated, cracked Washer tubing fittings.

Correction: Replace Windshield Washer Spray tubing, Elbow and Tee fittings

002.jpg

Removal and Re-install aka: Re&RE

1) Begin by removing the protective decorative rubber nut caps from both wiper arms. :p

003.jpg

2) Undo the 13mm Wiper Arm shaft retaining nut.

004.jpg

3) Gently fist bang downwards onto the Wiper Arm assembly to nudge it loose from it's shaft.

005.jpg

icon4.gif
May need to use some penetrating fluid or a pulley to break them free.
icon4.gif
Place a towel directly under wiper arm where the red arrow points to protect the glass.
icon4.gif
DO NOT allow wiper arms to smack onto the glass from the service position. You'll need a new windshield if you do.

4) Push down onto the Wiper Arm assembly to level it while removing it upwards from the shaft. Remove both Wiper Arms.

006.jpg

5) Gently undo all Cowl Push Type Retainer clips by pushing down into the center before pulling them up.

007.jpg

Don't forget the ones at either sides of the cowl.

008.jpg

Qty 9 x Cowl Push Type Retainer clips - OEM p/n W705956-S300

009.jpg

6) From the Passenger side, disconnect the main Washer Spray feed tubing at the elbow under the cowl.

icon4.gif
2000-2002, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] GEN LS owners can disregard this step. It's Washer system is fitted within the hood not the cowl.

010.jpg

7) Remove the plastic Cowl by firmly and evenly pulling upwards ensuring the sides come with it as a whole.

011.jpg

icon4.gif
Rubber boots on either side will need to be lifted up and out of the way for the cowl to come loose.

8) Inspect all seven cowl retainer clips, if any damaged or missing, they will need to be replaced.

012.jpg

013.jpg

The eighth post serves as a guide, not a lock-in retainer clip like the others, it's located directly beside the passenger side Wiper Arm Shaft opening.

014.jpg

9) Those posts with the retainer clips on the underneath side of the cowl will need to fit directly back into their respective slots at the bottom glass rail.

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

10) Wipe clean the rubber Wiper Arm shaft boot, if it's damaged or torn, an entire wiper arm assembly must be purchased.

icon4.gif
It may very well be possible to find a replacement boot from the scrap yards or a simple fix with some black silicone sealant.

018.jpg

11) This is the Passenger Wiper Arm Shaft Foam Seal to be replaced - OEM p/n 5W4Z-54021A46-A

019.jpg

020.jpg

12) Begin to removed the old defective foam seal by means of cutting and or pulling it off.

021.jpg

022.jpg

icon4.gif
Use some Goo-Gone to completely remove it and maintain a smooth clean matting surface for the new seal.

13) Affix the new replacement foam seal directly around the raised centered ring. Ensure an even dry clean surface!

023.jpg

14) If leaking issues with the windshield washer system, simply replace by means of rebuild, blow out the nozzles.

024.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

Locally obtained, Dayco 80623 Connector 3/16" Elbow & Dayco 80633 Connector 3/16 Tee

15) Reinstall the cowl with the new foam seal. Alignment is key.

027.jpg

Guide post must align through correctly, evenly without obstruction.
Focus on middle install first then work outwards, OBSERVE both ends aim underneath rubber corner boots.

028.jpg

Align the foam seal with the rubber shaft boot BEFORE snapping entire cowl into place.

029.jpg

Watch the Washer tubing routing and ensure the Shaft to Cowl seal remains tight and in place.

030.jpg

icon4.gif
DO NOT FORGET to push the cowls' rubber seal to glass in place. Work center outwards.

16) Reinstall the Qty 9 x Cowl Push Type Retainer clips - OEM p/n W705956-S300

17) Reattach and Test the Washer Fluid Sprayer and confirm functionality. Check for leaks.

~ if content with aforementioned repairs,

18) Re-position both Wiper Arms so while in their rest position they make perfect contact with the glass defrost line.

031.jpg

19) Affix both Wiper Arm retaining nuts. Light coating of anti seize works wonders. Don't overtorque !!!

032.jpg

20) Replace the protective decorative rubber nut caps to both wiper arms. :p

033.jpg

You just saved yourself $320+ in shop labor charges.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done everything you told me to do. However, I noticed there is some sort of foam on the passenger side of the cowl. Its all wrecked and brittle. Should I go to the hardware store and grab some foam adhesive strips to replace the brittle one? I have noticed water leaking in that area in the past. And that side coil bank is under my intake so thats the side im worried about the most. 05 v6

What ever foam you have, when it's brittle and leaking, it's done. You think you should replace it? Be sure it's not also the glass to cowl rubber seal, it needs to be snapped to the bottom of the glass and zipped outwards. I'm not sure what extra foam there is on a V6.

What ever foam you have, when it's brittle and leaking, it's done. You think you should replace it? Be sure it's not also the glass to cowl rubber seal, it needs to be snapped to the bottom of the glass and zipped outwards. I'm not sure what extra foam there is on a V6.
I will take a picture for you when it get's light out. Im having a feeling there is some backyard DIY fuckery lurking under my cowl.

I don't actually recall any further foam, possibly at the ends but that wasn't my isues with leakage. V8 may very well be different then the 6

Hey so we had a big rain fall and my passenger side coil bank on my gen 2 v6 filled up with water again. no leaks where the cowl gasket is but lots of water coming in from the passenger side where no gasket is. the cowl isnt bent. what am i missing here?

011_LI.jpg

The rubber to the glass seal has to be fitted tightly and correctly.
best done on a sunny day or heat the rubber seal up with a hair dryer or something.
start in the center and work your way to the outsides. push it down snug, take notice how it has a groove of sorts that has to snap below the glass line. Work this whole rubber seal tight down all the way across both ends.

Look at the underneath side of the cowl, the top rubber seal that sits flush to the bottom of your glass.

008-jpg.828477017.jpg

see the rubber to glass seal? where my fingers are resting?
That entire seal has to snap in and lock in place with the very bottom of the glass all the way across.

View attachment 828487734

see the rubber to glass seal? where my fingers are resting?
That entire seal has to snap in and lock in place with the very bottom of the glass all the way across.
ok its getting hotter out right now, i will use my heat gun on a low settting if i cant get it to seat properly.. ive never dealt with someone as frustrating as this on any of my cars lol.

It's important that you have the cowl correctly clipped in everywhere. The last time (the only time, I think) I had my windshield replaced, the glass place missed a tab at the base of the windshield. It wasn't extremely obvious looking at it, but it kept that gasket from sealing. The plastic was a little warped by the time I found it a few days later. The tab that was supposed to be holding it in, was holding it out, since it missed the slot it was supposed to go in.

Turned out to be a warped retainer clip. Only leaking where its not fully clipped in. I missed it because it would pop in and pop right back out after a while.

Is there a part number for the retainer clips ?

Does the leaking wiper shaft seal usually result in the drivers or passengers side getting soaked?

Yeah, my cowl is warped from some a-hole windshield replacement guy. I'll just plan to replace the wiper thing with the cowl, assuming I can find a good cowl that isn't warped.

sorry im mistaken.. the gasket is above the driver side coil bank... if there is water on the pass side than most likely the cowl isnt clipped in properly or your cowl is warped

Yeah, my cowl is warped from some a-hole windshield replacement guy. I'll just plan to replace the wiper thing with the cowl, assuming I can find a good cowl that isn't warped.
yeah its about $1000 bucks after tax brand new from Ford. Just go to a wrecker and try and get one that isnt warped or damaged. youll be able to tell pretty easily if its warped or not.

Last time I looked Ford went EOL on the cowl. But for $1000 I'll just troll some junkyards for sure.

yeah its about $1000 bucks after tax brand new from Ford. Just go to a wrecker and try and get one that isnt warped or damaged. youll be able to tell pretty easily if its warped or not.

you wouldnt happen to know where I can get some metal retainer clips for the cowl would you?

It might be N806095-S303, but I can't be sure and that might not be it. One of the junkyards where they let you pull your own parts should be a good bet.

Remove one unit and have it in hand when you visit some local hardware or auto parts stores.

Members online

No members online now.
Back