Proper way to remove/install rear view mirror 1997 continental

purelux

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched but didn't find a write up about how to remove and reinstall the rearview mirror. I just wanted to find out the easiest/best way to do it so I don't wreck my new mirror and/or have it fall off. The button is still on the window but I don't want to put excess pressure on it removing it and have it fall off down the road.

Compass only auto dim mirror

I had the gentleman at the car lot where I purchased my car take mine off. He also took the digital pictures for me that I emailed to Donnelly and he filled out the required information for me. Since I am totally not car savy I wasn't going to take a chance on doing it myself.

there is usually a small allen head screw the applies pressure to the button. Loosen that up a bit (maybe a lot depending on the exact application), and the mirror should lift right up off the button. notice I said 'lift' 'up'.. thats really a slide motion towards the roof of the car.

and of course, your wiring harness will need to be disconnected.

here is what I sent to magna donnley I didn't see a screw.

1997d.jpg

0816071731.jpg

button.jpg

hmm button looks like a standard ford style button, even has the little dimple on it where the tip of the set screw goes into.

however, I dont see any provision for the set screw in the corresponding part of the mirror.

I have seen some just a friction fit (usually a wavy piece of spring steel) inbetween the button and the mirror assy.

I think its a friction fit type too as I didn't see evidence of the screw myself, thanks though. Flat head in the bottom of the mount is the best way to get it out right?

I had my windshield replaced and the guy showed me how to remove it. You just pull down and twards the window with it. It is basically wedged in there and is able to break away in case of accident. The new 1 just slips on and you tap it with a wrench to secure it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back