paint warranty???

SilverLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok My car has all these little pin sized rust spots everywhere!!! So I was talking to my parents and they told me that for has a warranty on there paint something like 5 years 60,000 I went to look in my owners manual but its GONE!!!!! WTF :slam I dont know where it is and need to find out if some one could let me know if its true....I know it was on her mustang..... Thanks
guys
Dustin

Just use some claybar to get rid of it or if thats not tough enough take some heavy cut 3M rubbing compound and some elbow grease and work it in a pattern on a spot. Follow this with some 3M polish and they should all go away just before your eyes and bring out a very nice shine.

If you're good with one, use a high rpm wheel with the 3M heavy compound and polish, But if you're not - please don't - you will burn the paint on the car.

there is a separate corrosion warranty on most cars...if it's truly corrosion. I thought the LS was like 7 yrs/100K?

see i did the clay bar and know its coming back....So what exactly is CORROSION?? how do they define it because I have had nothing but bad luck with both of my LINCOLN DEALERSHIPS

SilverLS said:
see i did the clay bar and know its coming back....So what exactly is CORROSION?? how do they define it because I have had nothing but bad luck with both of my LINCOLN DEALERSHIPS
If you used the clay bar once, I would try it again and wax if afterwords. Otherwise, there is a process that Fomoco also recommends whereas they use a 3 step soaping process that will eliminate the rust specs.

Your car isn't rusting......there is simply debris embedded in your paint that causes rust specs to start up. For example, a lot of new cars come into our shop with these rust specs on them caused by rail dust. Used cars encounter this problem when they haven't been had clay bar taken to them or wax (especially noticable on light colored cars). Nothing to worry about.......just clay bar it again and wax it often.

DLS8K said:
If you used the clay bar once, I would try it again and wax if afterwords. Otherwise, there is a process that Fomoco also recommends whereas they use a 3 step soaping process that will eliminate the rust specs.

Your car isn't rusting......there is simply debris embedded in your paint that causes rust specs to start up. For example, a lot of new cars come into our shop with these rust specs on them caused by rail dust. Used cars encounter this problem when they haven't been had clay bar taken to them or wax (especially noticable on light colored cars). Nothing to worry about.......just clay bar it again and wax it often.

Yeah I tough so too but I did it and now its back again

FOMOCO ??? where do you do(get this stuff)

DLS8K is correct. What you are seeing is small bits of metal that have embedded in your paint. It is those embedded bits that are rusting, not your car. I had a white car that had the same problem -- tiny rust spots about the size of a pinhead. They come out with a claybar and/or a good polish. DO NOT use a heavy cutting cleaner -- it simply isn't necessary to fix this problem. A clay bar followed by a good polish and wax should fix this.

BTW, I would point out that the LS has a hood, trunk lid and front fenders that are made of aluminum. Aluminum doesn't rust.

SilverLS said:
Yeah I tough so too but I did it and now its back again

FOMOCO ??? where do you do(get this stuff)
Ford Motor Company.........fomoco. If you got rid of the rust specks the first time, than you will get rid of them the second time. I detail cars for a living (or at least until i graduate)........so trust me when I say that taking your time and doing a good clay bar/wax will make you happy.

Otherwise, contact your local Ford dealership and ask for their chemical catalog which will contain this 3 step soaping system. You will have a soap that engages the rust specs and eliminates them......a soap to neutralize the 1st soap......and then a final rinse soap. I've used it once and had good results (though not as good clay bar).

Also important.........how long ago did you clay bar your car? Its not like its a one time thing. You will periodically need to do it (which depends on how often you wax your car). My car has been clayed once......buffed once (3 stage process) and waxed monthly and my paint is as smooth as ever. No rust, no roughness, no problems and i've had the car since march.

ToddG said:
BTW, I would point out that the LS has a hood, trunk lid and front fenders that are made of aluminum. Aluminum doesn't rust.

Excellent point!

FOMOCO? You must not be very old SilverLS. That term has been around since...well...since FOMOCO!

Excellent point!FOMOCO? You must not be very old SilverLS. That term has been around since...well...since FOMOCO!

DING DING DING !!!!LOL :Beer Yes I am only 20 years old....I have not heared of this stuff ever and my grandfather owns a paint a body shop so i spent many summers growing up in the shop still never came across this stuff....O well It sounds like its kinda easy to do but if the clay bar works better back at it I go again then.....I though that same thing with the Aluminum parts but I was more pissed off about the car's paint messed up that I was having a blonde school girl moment... (LOL) O well I guess I will just have to spend some more time with the LS again I think Im going to wait and see what path this hurricane takes because I dont want to go thru all this and then I get messed up again(god forbid) thanks again guys for the help

Members online

No members online now.
Back