Lost Only Car Key

JPsBored

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just got home and put keys in my pocket relaxxed a lil and was on way out again, when noticed my key wasnt on the key ring.

So after 1hr of lookin inside, outside, in car, under car, no key to be found.

The best part is that was my only key.

So is the dealer the only place I can get a key made without an existing key?

Sadly, yes. The PCM (or one of the other modules) has to be programmed to accept the new key(s), and only the dealership has the equipment to do it for the LS. According to the manual, you'll have to have th ecar towed to the dealership for this to be done.
Replacement keys
If your keys are lost or stolen and you don’t have an extra coded key,
you will need to have your vehicle towed to a dealership. The key codes
need to be erased from your vehicle and new coded keys will need to be
programmed.
Replacing coded keys can be very costly. Store an extra programmed key
away from the vehicle in a safe place to help prevent any
inconveniences. Please visit an authorized dealer to purchase additional
spare or replacement keys.
-- 2004 Lincoln LS Owner's Manual

BTW, you want to have the old codes erased, because the car will only recognize eight keys at any given time. Depending on how forgetful the previous owners were, there may not be many slots left.

Also, get at least two keys when you're at the dealership. Once you have two coded keys, you can buy the blanks elsewhere (eg, eBay), have them cut by a locksmith or Home Depot, then follow the procedure in the Manual (look in the LvC Tech Section if you don't have one) to program the subsequent keys.

SoonerLS said:
BTW, you want to have the old codes erased, because the car will only recognize eight keys at any given time. Depending on how forgetful the previous owners were, there may not be many slots left.

Also, get at least two keys when you're at the dealership. Once you have two coded keys, you can buy the blanks elsewhere (eg, eBay), have them cut by a locksmith or Home Depot, then follow the procedure in the Manual (look in the LvC Tech Section if you don't have one) to program the subsequent keys.

thanks for the help sooner,,, this is gonna be a b**** to fix.

SoonerLS said:

how much should i expect to pay for new coding and key?

JPsBored said:
how much should i expect to pay for new coding and key?

Bend over. Compare your dealer to a locksmith too. And I would check other Ford dealers in the area. I've seen a huge range of prices.

Yea i hear u.

Just talked to dealer and they want $191.00 + tax for 2 keys cut, coded, and programmed.

Doesnt sound bad,, guess new law is they have to make 2 keys now,, BS to me.

Let me know if that price is reasonable.

You can get a subscription to http://www.motocraftservice.com and purchase a pass-thru device to program these your self. I bought a pass-thru from Ebay for $75 and I can reset PCM parameters with it to accept new modules and keys.

Members online

Back