Lock down collar on gen 1 sway bar

grizzlyls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
While searching for things prior to the Timing chain redo, I saw pics where someone had put on two collars on either side of their sway bar bushings. This is to keep it from moving left and right. I thought it was in the thread about the permanent solution to the clunks noise, but I dont see it there now.

Anyhow, does anyone know what kind of collar this was? Assuming it was 30 mm, and could be tightened with a hex key. Where can I get this? Want to try this instead of the whole bar replace. I could probably do it to save money.

it would be the same sized collar as the bushings you need to buy, there is a different size depending if you have sport suspension or not.

FWIW, I'm told that 'stop collars' are readily available at commercial hardware places such as Grainger. I simply used hose clamps. Not quite as neat, perhaps, but very readily available and I simply had to reach for the proper coffee can.

KS

FWIW, I'm told that 'stop collars' are readily available at commercial hardware places such as Grainger. I simply used hose clamps. Not quite as neat, perhaps, but very readily available and I simply had to reach for the proper coffee can.

KS
Yeah, Deacon who originally made the DIY thread on this for the gen2's, sourced some SS collars from McMaster. (a supplier that is local to me, and has a beautiful facility might I add)

Grainger and McMaster Carr are good sources,,, but can be a bit pricey. Granted... maybe not as much as DST suspension,,, but a very well stocked local hardware store may have something similar for even less than Grainger or McMaster.

I have a couple local, (10-20 minute drive time), harware stores... that have just about anything when it comes to hardware... including "split ring stop collars".

Next time I go to one of the "big box" stores, (orange, green, or blue), I'll check and see if they sell something like that. If someone beats me to it... then give the input.

Ah perfect. that devin post wasnt the one I actually saw, but that means others have went this route so making the right choice I imagine.

Thanks for the help guys, I know what the heck to call them now. :)

P.S.

Ooh Ooh, google search on that collar quote led me to this:

Shaft Collars: Clamp Collar, Split Collar, & Set Screw Shaft Collar

Imagine that's overkill, but that would be the technical correct name for them.

No worries, whatever gets the site better.

Anyhow, ended up using that web link to search for those while at work here. Ended up get a two pack off amazon for 25 bucks shipped. Not worth my time and gas to hunt for them local at that price - which was home depot web had around anyhow.

Do you have the 30mm sports sway bar up front? If so there is an JAG bushing that will fit for the 1st GEN sports models.

Lock down collar used by those that opt to run the skinner Energy Suspension bushing and brackets.

Think it was Europarts or something like that for them correct direct replacement 30mm bushings.

Ah, just noted that the date on top left on post can be used to grab a link to a specific post within a thread. That'll work.

Ah, just noted that the date on top left on post can be used to grab a link to a specific post within a thread. That'll work.

You can do the same from the post# on the top right, just like before with the old forum.

Haha I'm an idiot alright.
I'm on my cell. Portrait it does not have that, turn my phone sideways, landscape BAM ... there it is.

I'll just kick myself no worries.

Was it always there or did Joey add it in the last hour?

Check it out on a cell, like Galaxy S7.
Only present in landscape mode.
Wierd but true.

Thanks for that link, real good pics. I do have the sport, but all the mechs I have had under there say the bushings are fine. I only got the replacement bar just in case when he did the chains he had to drop the subframe (? again not a mech say may be wrong). Since hed didnt, sway bar not replaced but shot end links are moog now. Took care of worst clunks but I am hoping these collars will solve most of rest.

Even though bushings may appear ok, when they get old, they tend to harden. Any play at such a bracket and the bushings could begin to make that thud clunking noise you may be experiencing when running over slight imperfections in the road ways. I'd also recommend to have a look at the top of the shock towers as well as any other dampeners in the suspension and steering components.

My 01 V8 Sport needed fresh front sway bar bushings (Jag versions) during the first few months of ownership, to eliminate that front dull clunking noise you are describing. Also replaced the outer links with MOOG's but they were not the culprits at the time.

Yeah Decon,

In the thread you linked... you say this.

" You just have to love Ford and one of their "better ideas" concerning this non-serviceable, life of the vehicle front sway bar mount bushing design."

I'd agree... and then when you question a Ford parts department,,, they tell you that they haven't seen any issues with the front sway bars/bushings. But they're happy to quote you roughly $125 for the assembly... if you really think that's what's wrong with it.

I have a feeling most Lincoln LS's stopped seeing dealerships for issues... long before the aftermarket even started making parts for them. That would explain why some/many dealerships have never heard of some issues with the LS. Then again... some of this could depend on location/environment.

Members online

Back