Lincoln Town Cars have it but why not the LS?

jk52781

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is John and I recently joined LVC. I really like this place so far everyone has been helpful and I have been learning more about the LS.
I like the Lincoln LS but one thing stood out when I got it was the black plastic grill. Since then I have replaced the grill with a vertical Trenz chrome grill. I see Lincoln Town cars rolling through the streets everyday with these nice chrome stock grills. Now I imagine the folks at Lincoln did not want to make their prices too high and had to cut corners, but the LS has so much prestige that it deserves more than plastic. Other than the grill, the useless glove compartment, and the center counsel glove box that can barely fit a cell phone, I love the LS.

2001 Lincoln LS V8 can be found at:

www.cardomain.com/ride/2069704/1

welcome John! *claps*

I've been wondering that too- for a car that costs $40K new (which isn't cheap), you think they would at least throw in some real wood and chrome.

I wonder what the profit margin on the LS is?

That's a nice chrome-y grille.

captainalias said:
welcome John! *claps*

I've been wondering that too- for a car that costs $40K new (which isn't cheap), you think they would at least throw in some real wood and chrome.

I wonder what the profit margin on the LS is?

That's a nice chrome-y grille.
The margin is quite slim, which is why it is being discontinued. Also, few sell for $40k. The DEW98 platform is very expensive to produce. Town Car can have a chrome grille because its platform was paid for by about 1982. :)

I don't think it had anything to do with cutting corners. I think it might have been done to make it sportier (such as to compete with the German automakers). Take a look at the A4 (old and new) and will will see a charcol color insert instead of chrome. Another possible reason would be to separate from people mistaking it for a typical Lincoln (i.e. Towncar).......as if to say this isn't your daddy's lincoln.

As for the wood trim....i don't think it looks that bad. In fact, I have seen higher end cars with real wood that didn't look nearly as good. I suppose if you would have wanted everything you are missing in the LS, you could buy a Jaguar S-Type.

The 2006 models have chrome grilles.

The 2003+ models have real wood trim too.

2004 and up LSE has a chrome grill too, but it's not full chrome around the whole grill like the Town Car. The 2003 and up, the stock grill is not chrome but the plastic doesn't look like the cheap plastic that was on 00-02 cars.

I think the overall concensus was that having too much crome made it look less sport and more luxury. I mean, the last thing we want is our cars to be more like Town Cars. Why do you think the MkVIII LSC's are so popular. Mostly because of the chrome delete option.

Members online

No members online now.
Back