LED tails installed!

MooJohn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just drop-in bulbs, not a custom panel or anything, but here's the how-to for others.

You'll need an 11mm socket to remove the tail light housings. The plastic trim along the bottom of the trunk opening pulls straight up - you can figure it out from there. Use patience when reinstalling it when you're done - you don't want to bend/ break any plastic clips.

Parts needed:
4x 68-SMD red LED bulbs, socket 3157 (ebay auction 251466777460)
4x 6 ohm / 50 watt resistors (ebay auction 360736287196 )
1/8th inch rivets

As time passes, the auctions will become invalid but for now - enjoy! I have no relation to the sellers.

You'll need to use two resistors for each side, both connected to the blinker wire. I riveted two together, then combined their + wires into one wire and their - wires into another. Resistors actually have no polarity but it's easier if you think of it that way.

resistors.jpg

I then installed a pair inside each rear fender, mounting them to the inner wall in the hollow area between it and the outer fender. This means any heat given off (and they get HOT) cannot harm anything else in the car. I riveted the pair of resistors in place using an existing hole in the panel. This makes sure it can never come loose and burn/melt anything.

On the tail light circuit, strip back the insulation on the orange/blue stripe wire and connect the + wire from your resistors. You can connect the resistor's - wire to any ground source, including the black wire in the tail harness.

Here's the trick: To avoid having to use another pair of resistors on the tail circuit, we instead swap 2 wires in the harness. Using a jeweler's screwdriver or similar small object, push out the orange plastic clip in the center of the tail plug.

connector.jpg

This will allow you to release the clip on each pin and push it out the back of the connector. You want to swap the two center pins (upper and lower). I forget the colors but it's easy to do since they're the only "center" pins. They'll snap back into place. Then reinstall the orange retainer bar to lock all the pins into place for good.

Doing this makes the lighting control monitor the small outer bulbs instead of the tail filaments. Both are powered by the parking light circuit but only one is monitored. This means you can't make the little bulbs LED but since they're on all the time, that's no big loss.

Don't forget to wipe the dust off the small outer bulbs while you have the tail light out. It will make a big difference in their appearance!

No pics of the finished product but I will have a video in the next day or two that shows one side OEM and one side LED, with the hazards on. The LEDs are so much quicker it looks like they're flashing at a different rate.

Video is here

LED on the right, OEM on the left.

This is the hazard lights which should flash at the same time. The LED is so fast that it looks like two different cycles.

Neither light looks brighter than the other so no visibility issues during the day as can happen with cheap LED bulbs.

Cool mod. How do the parking lamps work? Do they just dim? Also I thought putting resistors in would not cause the car to think it had a light out, did you try just plugging it and see if it detected a bulb was out?

Cool mod. How do the parking lamps work? Do they just dim? Also I thought putting resistors in would not cause the car to think it had a light out, did you try just plugging it and see if it detected a bulb was out?

That's a great question, if it monitors the outer bulbs would you even need resistors?

The LCM monitors any bulb with 2 filaments. One resistor on blinker and one on parking wasn't enough to prevent the error messages. Since there are 2 bulbs in each tail light, it takes 2 resistors to simulate them. I didn't want to have to use 4 resistors per side so I put the resistors on the blinker/brake wire and swapped the wires for the park circuit so the LCM sees the small outer bulbs instead of the tail filament of the main tails.

The LED bulbs have two "filaments" just like the OEM bulbs do - just 2 levels of brightness.

The LCM monitors any bulb with 2 filaments. One resistor on blinker and one on parking wasn't enough to prevent the error messages. Since there are 2 bulbs in each tail light, it takes 2 resistors to simulate them. I didn't want to have to use 4 resistors per side so I put the resistors on the blinker/brake wire and swapped the wires for the park circuit so the LCM sees the small outer bulbs instead of the tail filament of the main tails.

The LED bulbs have two "filaments" just like the OEM bulbs do - just 2 levels of brightness.

Exactly, so if the computer doesn't even see the main blinker lights, do you even need resistors?

It still sees the blinker part of the circuit but not the tail. Your outside bulbs (small ones) don't ever blink - they are parking lights only.

I'll do fronts next, but I hope to find some with resistors built in so I don't have to do anything but swap the bulb.

Then it's on to the interior/trunk bulbs. I want to find an LED with a more "normal" color than stark white so I can have the low-wattage lamps without looking like an operating room.

I'll do fronts next, but I hope to find some with resistors built in so I don't have to do anything but swap the bulb.

Then it's on to the interior/trunk bulbs. I want to find an LED with a more "normal" color than stark white so I can have the low-wattage lamps without looking like an operating room.

I actually have blue and white LED panels in my trunk - they cast a really weird lighting effect, which becomes even weirder when coupled with the HDR effect of my camera.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409601259.057462.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409601259.057462.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back