JBL Premium Sound

Reaction score
the previous owner on my '89 butchered the harness under the dash and in the trunk.
the wires were chopped under the dash and hacked off in the trunk where the amp should be - the amp is gone and the rear speakers are wired up to the sad tape deck that is in the dash now.

i was not going to try to fix the factory harness or replace the amp untill i found this on Ebay - http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/73/c3/60_1_sbl.JPG

the cable that plugs into the amp is what i need (i think) to fix the butchered connection under the dash. it looks like the shielded cable that is destroyed and i can fix the other rectangle one easily by fixing 2 wires.
the amp and cable are from an '89 town car
amp # = E8VF-18T805-AB
cable# = E8VF-14588-CD

from a bit of digging the factory tape deck i think was a F2SF-19B165-DA. i don't want to put a factory tape deck back in unless i get it cheap - then i will know everything works as it should. how many parts are there to the Premium Sound System without cd player? the speakers are in the dash and trunk; i now have an amp and i hope the correct cable/harness for it.

if anyone can give me any information pertaining to the JBL Premium system and parts i would appreciate it. i don't have any idea what is missing or how what hooks to what and i have not found one in a salvage yard for reference yet.

the premium sound consists of the headunit (radio/tape), the amp, 4 speakers, and the cable from amp to headunit.

did the 2nd cable (power and speaker wires) on the amp get hacked up?? the amp needs 2 connecters, the input cable (which you have), and the power/speaker connector (part of the wiring harness in the back).

I have a full working system (except the headunit) in a 91 (premium), and my 90 parts car is JBL (same condition, works except the headunit). in 90, from what I can tell, the JBL did not have subs, just different speakers and head unit (I can't find any subs in my 90).

if you think you need any parts, let me know. I plan on taking the JBL speakers from the 90 for my 91, but the 91's parts are working, with exception of the headunit

the power/speaker connector also seems to be chopped up and missing - i see nothing matching the big 14 pin female opening on the other side of the amp. the rear speaker plugs are gone so i don't know what is missing in the trunk exactly; speaker wire is running up to the front now. you are knowledgeable on the system and if you wish to do surgery on you car to remove the harness part(s) i need i will gladly pay.

at least i found the input cable with an amp - i also have an amp from a '93 that has the mounting plate for $15.00 that worked before removal so it looks like i'm almost set to go.

thanks for your help
:D

sometime around 93 or 94 ford changed the amp a little...same pinouts as far I as know, but they changed the voltage that is required to turn the amp on. they went from 12v on the switched line, to 6v or so. I know newer head units don't work with older amps (I have been down that road), not sure about other way.

I can easily get the amp from the parts car, will have to check on the harness's. I don't know how hard it will be to get the radio stuff out of other harness's back there. if you just want the ends, I can cut them off (leaving enough pig-tail for splicing). I have a 92 manual, and have found most of the wire color codes are the same as my 91 and 90, I can get the wiring info too.

if you can wait a day or 2 (I live in the land of almost eternal snow), I will unbury the parts car enough to get into the trunk and see what is possible.

sounds good to me.

since i have the input cable, if you wish to leave the 14 pin plug for the output side in the amp and just chop it off with some wire for me to work with that will be fine. you can probably judge best how much i might need by following the output side to the speakers and whatnot. i just don't know how much of your harness i need to fix my rear harness.

i just found a F2SF-19B165-DA head unit for $25.00 it's true...
it's all on EBAY
let me know when you get the time.
Thanks Again
Robert

ok.. looked at the wiring harness tonite, in the fading sunlight, with the aid of a flashlight.

at first it looked like I might be able to remove the amp and the power/speaker harness as one peice... but nope, the wiring harness goes thru most of the wires in the trunk (or so it appears). I can however give you a good 8 or more inches of wire on the connector.

I don't know if the rear speaker connectors are the same on the JBL and non JBL speakers, I havent had a chance to compare them. I would think they would be the same. I may be able to get you those ends as well.

if you want the wiring diagrams for the radios (all of the sound systems) avail in 92, I can email them to you in pic form (JPG). That way you can verify wiring, or if some is missing.

you say you have 2 speakers in dash??? the 'normal' placement (at least in 90 and 91) for fronts is in the doors. there appears to be speaker grills in the dash, but not sure there are speakers behind them. the manual only shows 4 speakers (6 with the 2 subs the 92 jbl had (remember, my 90 JBL dont have subs)).

i only have rear speakers that work and always thought the dash grills were for speakers so i popped one off to look this morning while my kids are getting ready for school and LOL nothing under them but dash! :eek:

i now see the areas on the front doors that are for the front speakers they are not obvious as speaker openings i can't believe i missed them.

i pulled apart the trunk lining on the driver side, pulled down the front section and found the chopped harness. it all appears to be bundled together from a point in the harness by where the relays in the trunk for the ride control(?) are. i know these are the wires because i recognize the input cable.
8 inches wire lead would be great if you can do that.

my son asked why would i spend so much time on fixing a TAPE player stereo system;
"wait till you drive, you will know then"
that was the only way i could answer him. sometimes people drive things because they don't want to walk to work and i have been lucky enough to drive what i like to drive ever since high school. the stereo is part of the drive and i just want it work like it used to. fixing the wiring is just part of the fun to me...

thanks for your help and time - the wiring info will be a great help :D
Robert

I have much delayed putting a replacement radio into my conti, main reason is, all the aftermarket stuff I find looks like crap in the dash... I like the way the stock radio looked (I like the later models even more, but they dont always work in the earlier ones).

I find most of todays 'youth' think a high performance stereo in a car is all about volume and bass.... not me.. I prefer a nicely well balanced system, and I dont need a lot of volume... I am nearly 43, and my hearing is still VERY good (even after 10 years in a factory). My hearing is something I treasure, and will protect it by NOT listening to loud music/noise/sounds for any period of time over 1 minute...

I think the only thing I would like to change in my Conti is the fact that it does not have the factory CD player.

Also, it would be nice if the subwoofer amp was adjustible and I could find some 6x9 subwoofers. Sometimes I would like just a little more bass.

there were 2 options I know of for factory cd's in the 88-94 conti. one was an external, indash mounted unit. went kinda underneath the radio, where the little lcd clock is, and connected to back of headunit (which also controlled it I believe) by cable. I think they also made an integrated unit for the later years too (93 and 94 maybe?) My 90, 91, and 92 service manual all show the external one for the cd option.

if you have a 93 or 94, the cd integrated headunit from other lincolns may work just perfect for them years. I know the amps in them years were slightly different from earlier (the amp turn on line was a different voltage level).

you will only have a subwoofer amp if you have the JBL option. and only later years had the subs.. ie.. 90 JBL=no subs, where as 92 JBL=subs

I have got the JBL option and love the sound, just a little more bass.

As far as the CD player, I have been trying to find one for a while. The CD player controlled itself though from what I can tell in the manual.

Members online

Back