Gen 2 V8 Alternator install

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought I was going to get through the whole process without posting but….

I got the bad one out, but I can’t get the lower half into the bracket. What’s the trick? There is a sleeve that extends out of the bracket bolt hole and the alternator.

IMG_2075.jpeg

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I resorted to using a grinder.

Thanks! ThTs exactly what I did. I tried to push that sleeve back through with a bolt and washer but that failed miserably!

The other annoying thing is that both my 04 service manual and the 06 manual are wrong. Or maybe my car is wrong…

The upper bolt does NOT come out. It is an upper nut, the bolt stays and you have to pop the lower part out of the bracket and then Tilt it up to slide the upper mount off the threaded rod.

Oh, and my alternator has been whining for the last week and only putting out 12v.

Now with a replacement in…14.25v!!!

Last edited:
After getting >14 v and dealing with my thermostat cap, I put the splash guards back on. Upon startup I get the "Check charging system" message..."you've got to be kidding me."

I checked the voltage at the battery and only getting 11.8v. UGH!!!

I pull off the passenger splash guard, wiggle the positive connection and push on the connector and then hear a "click". Then >14v again.

Those old connectors just don't hold the way they used to. I had to use a small zip tie on my #5 (front driver's) COP connector to hold in in place.

Now, with no Motorcraft alternators available, I might try to remanufacture the OEM one I just took off. Anyone try something like this?

Anyone try something like this?
Yes... but not on the LS. You need a couple paper clips to hold the brushes in place.

You also need a small propane torch to get the case halves apart (and you have to be gentle with separating the halves, or you will potentially be resoldering the internal connections):confused:

The bearings are fairly easy to replace (if needed).

Remember... aluminum expands faster than steel.

Members online

Back