Do your LS V8 brakes suck too?

Barwick

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been driving this puppy around for a while (2000 LS V8 sport package), and I don't even think it's just mine, because I test drove another (I think an '02) and it did the same thing...

Basically, the brakes need a TON of pedal force and pedal travel to make an effective stop. I mean, under normal conditions they're fine, but in event of a crazed idiot in an SUV doing something stupid in front of me, I'd like to be able to stop. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that these brakes are capable of stopping in short distances, but maybe it just feels that way to me...

Barwick said:
I've been driving this puppy around for a while (2000 LS V8 sport package), and I don't even think it's just mine, because I test drove another (I think an '02) and it did the same thing...

Basically, the brakes need a TON of pedal force and pedal travel to make an effective stop. I mean, under normal conditions they're fine, but in event of a crazed idiot in an SUV doing something stupid in front of me, I'd like to be able to stop. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that these brakes are capable of stopping in short distances, but maybe it just feels that way to me...

Naah, mine are great. Only needed to make one emergency stop and they were up to the task! Motot trend says 121- 127 feet stops from 60 mph. 03 Premium Sport. Lincolnlov

You can do one of several things to your LS to improve braking. They are:

1. Change the brake pads. I ran the Porterfield brake pads for quite some time and really liked them. They took a little heat to perform but were much better than the stock pads. Pricing is around $150 for a complete set of pads for front and back.

2. Couple the pads with some vented calipers. Pricing around $250 a set.

3. Add stainless steel braided brake hoses from StopTech. This will definitely firm up the pedal. Front and rear set is around $175 or so. Visit StopTech's website at www.stoptech.com to purchase the brake lines.

4. Add a Big Brake kit to the LS. StopTech makes a kit that is expensive but you will stop on a dime and get change back! I can attest to this since I have this kit on my LS. Pricing for a Big Brake kit starts around $3,000.

You have some options to improve the braking. I'd suggest figure out your budget and go with that.

I thought the same thing when I first got my LS. Then I realized that I was trying to stop at twice the speed with half the distance.

FreeFaller said:
I thought the same thing when I first got my LS. Then I realized that I was trying to stop at twice the speed with half the distance.
Yes and the LS is probably a much heavier car than most other vehicles. It takes a lot to stop a 4,000 lb vehicle.

Barwick said:

Here's my opinion on top of the others here, correct me if my thinking is wrong
1) I think they were designed that way, it's not decided to throw you out of your seat on the slightest touch of the pedal. It's a lincoln
2) the LS has almost 50/50 so there isn't that drop nose effect.
My experience is that the brakes are there when you need them and in an emergency they work even better.

I was having the same thought about the brakes not being as good as when I bought the car. It had a sinking feeling and I also had some squealing from the rear brakes. (not a good thing to hear from a Lincoln)

I went to CarX, they replaced the pad with ceramic, they also found one of the calipers frozen, that was why I wasn't getting the braking power.

Now, The braking has firmed up, the parking brakes work (wasn't before) I'm enjoying the car more.

BTW, check your brake fluid periodacally, when the pad wear down the brake fluid needs to be added to take up the air space in the resiour. sp?

:L

The brakes on my 2003 work great. According to my service advisor, Lincoln tuned the brakes to make the rears do more of the work than they would usually do. This helps the stopping distance and gives good control and feel. Overall, I think the combination of (a) 50/50 weight distribution, (b) anti-dive front geometry, (c) Electronic Brake Force Distribution, and (d) Emergency Brake Assist make for short, firm, and controlled stops.

Note: I don't think the last two features were available on the 00-02 models.

I had a scare about 2 weeks ago.. MoDOT had half of 470 highway neer where i live shut down to one lane... we travelled at 5mph most of 2miles, then started getting up to about 45-50.. I kept distance from the person in front of me just b/c i have had scares before, and thank god i did again.. he wasn't watching, person infront of him locked up the brakes, so he did at the last second, forcing me too. I was very pleased with the stopping ability.. the 05 f-150 behind me had to swerve on to the shoulder and didnt stop til he was almost nose to nose with me, and he was a good ways back.. I still want to get some new brake pads/drilled and slotted rotors, just havent picked a set yet.

JaredLS said:
Here's my opinion on top of the others here, correct me if my thinking is wrong
1) I think they were designed that way, it's not decided to throw you out of your seat on the slightest touch of the pedal. It's a lincoln
2) the LS has almost 50/50 so there isn't that drop nose effect.
My experience is that the brakes are there when you need them and in an emergency they work even better.
I don't know about #1, but #2 is partly correct. There's not much pitching forward on hard braking, but it's more the suspension geometry than the 50/50 weight distibution: the LS has anti-dive geometry up front and anti-lift geometry in the rear. When you get a chance, take a good look at the LS's rear suspension: it actually mounts in front of the rear axle, so when the car pitches forward, it pushes down on the suspension. It's way cool, IMHO. That funky front setup is also a sight to behold; the guys at Ford, Lincoln, and Jaguar did one heck of a job.

As for brakes, yeah, my LS has great brakes. I've had to use them in emergency-stop situations a few times over the last couple of days; it seems like every idiot on the road has tried to get in front of me this week... :waving: :slam

Members online

No members online now.
Back