Bilstein shocks and factory Jaguar S-type springs

Deaconblue

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
We all know that the Motorcraft sport shock have become an unobtainable commodity. So for my '04 V8 Sport, I started looking into the '00-02 Jaguar S-type shocks for more options. Tops on my list are the Bilstein shocks, which are offered in either the B4 or B6 for the '00-02 Jaguar S-type. From what I have read the B4 for the Jaguar S-type are a mono tube design, which is typically reserved for the B6. The B4 would be basically a replacement unit, while the B6 is a heavy duty or sport unit that would work for coil-over conversion. Bilstein also made the electronically selectable adaptive shocks that came as part of the Sports package.

Not sure about their relative firmness to each other, but I have found that for the '03 and later Jaguar S-type factory shocks (which were also made by Bilstein), the difference between the factory stock and Sport shock are about 10% firmer in rebound and about 17% firmer in compression. Not sure if this has any impact what so ever on the Bilstein replacement shocks for the '00-02 models. Not 100% sure which one I will select, but I am leaning toward the B4 shocks - mostly because I don't want the ride to get too firm with our wonderful roads around here.

With any '00-02 Jaguar S-type front shock, the lower spring perch has a smaller diameter than the one on the shocks used on the Lincoln LS. That means you have to use a front spring for the Jaguar S-type as well. Now I do not want to use a set of lowering spring, like those from H&R, as I am not looking to lower the ride height. So I started looking into the factory Jaguar S-type springs. They list two springs for the '00-02 Jaguar 4.0L V8 applications; #XR811166 with the adaptive suspension and #XR811172 (which may have been superseded to #XR835298) for use with the base suspension. As a point of reference, there are also two different and unique springs listed for the V6 models with the same distinction. I can not find any data on the differences with these two V8 front springs - mainly their spring rates. I can only presume that the springs for the adaptive suspension (again which is part of the Sport package) are somewhat firmer because the adaptive suspension had a firmer/sport setting on the shocks.

I know I am out on uncharted waters here, but I have a couple questions;

- For the brave few who went with the '00-02 Jaguar S-type Bilstein shock, did you choose the B4 or the B6?

I can't see the the photos anymore to know if edrurdoe used B4 or B6 shock
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76068-JAG-susp-on-LS-YES-it-fits!!!

Based on the photos it looks like LS_Monk used B4
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...YES-it-fits!!!&p=909423&viewfull=1#post909423

- Has anyone tried the factory Jaguar springs with any '00-02 Jaguar S-type front shocks?

Instead of trying to do a Jag-LS cross-over, might it make sense to use something such as Koni double-adjustable coil-overs? In that way, EVERYTHING is 'choose-able' from spring rates to jounce-rebound. And everything is based on vehicle weight measured at each corner.

It's only necessary to create the mount points---easily done in a home garage with little more than hand tools.

KS

If you want coilovers, Stance already offers a kit for the Lincoln LS - no need to piece together anything at home using say Ground Control components, Eibach coil over springs and Koni inserts. I have run Stance GT+ coilovers on another car - they were fine on roads with smooth pavement and worked great at the for track day events - but that is not what I am looking for with the LS. I also don't want to slam the LS into the weeds nor do I want to severally limit the compression or droop travel of the suspension.

My '04 LS Sport V8 is my year round daily driver - I use it in the winter with a set of Michelin snow tires. I simple want to replace the now discontinued factory Sport shocks with something that is roughly equivalent. The mono tube design Bilstein B4 for the '00-02 Jaguar S-type should do the trick, but you need to swap the front springs as well. I will most likely just pick up a set of front springs from the '00-02 Jaguar S-type 4.0L V8 base package. Suplex out of Germany makes OE replacement springs. Their set #13038 for the '00-02 Jaguar S-type V8 with the base suspension are listed on eBay for $179 with freight.

We all know that the Motorcraft sport shock have become an unobtainable commodity. So for my '04 V8 Sport, I started looking into the '00-02 Jaguar S-type shocks for more options. Tops on my list are the Bilstein shocks, which are offered in either the B4 or B6 for the '00-02 Jaguar S-type. From what I have read the B4 for the Jaguar S-type are a mono tube design, which is typically reserved for the B6. The B4 would be basically a replacement unit, while the B6 is a heavy duty or sport unit that would work for coil-over conversion. Bilstein also made the electronically selectable adaptive shocks that came as part of the Sports package.

Not sure about their relative firmness to each other, but I have found that for the '03 and later Jaguar S-type factory shocks (which were also made by Bilstein), the difference between the factory stock and Sport shock are about 10% firmer in rebound and about 17% firmer in compression. Not sure if this has any impact what so ever on the Bilstein replacement shocks for the '00-02 models. Not 100% sure which one I will select, but I am leaning toward the B4 shocks - mostly because I don't want the ride to get too firm with our wonderful roads around here.

With any '00-02 Jaguar S-type front shock, the lower spring perch has a smaller diameter than the one on the shocks used on the Lincoln LS. That means you have to use a front spring for the Jaguar S-type as well. Now I do not want to use a set of lowering spring, like those from H&R, as I am not looking to lower the ride height. So I started looking into the factory Jaguar S-type springs. They list two springs for the '00-02 Jaguar 4.0L V8 applications; #XRS11166 with the adaptive suspension and #XR811172 (which may have been superseded to #XR835298) for use with the base suspension. As a point of reference, there are also two different and unique springs listed for the V6 models with the same distinction. I can not find any data on the differences with these two V8 front springs - mainly their spring rates. I can only presume that the springs for the adaptive suspension (again which is part of the Sport package) are somewhat firmer because the adaptive suspension had a firmer/sport setting on the shocks.

I know I am out on uncharted waters here, but I have a couple questions;

- For the brave few who went with the '00-02 Jaguar S-type Bilstein shock, did you choose the B4 or the B6?

I can't see the the photos anymore to know if edrurdoe used B4 or B6 shock
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76068-JAG-susp-on-LS-YES-it-fits!!!

Based on the photos it looks like LS_Monk used B4
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...YES-it-fits!!!&p=909423&viewfull=1#post909423

- Has anyone tried the factory Jaguar springs with any '00-02 Jaguar S-type front shocks?

I have followed those two threads and they both used the B4 series shocks with the H&R springs. I have considered this swap as well and because of the same reasons that you have, I am also looking at ordering stock Jag springs.

Both the B4 and the B6 shocks are mono-tube shocks and either will work if Jag springs are used. The B4 are direct OE replacements and the B6 is a heavier duty shock.

I talked to my local Jaguar dealer and priced out the OE springs for a 2002 4.0L S-Type about a year ago and was quoted $80.00 each.

Good to know BCA - thanks for the heads up. I had not had a chance yet to contact the parts department at my local Jaguar dealership.

Right now I am rounding up parts to do the clutch job for the summer fun toy. We may have finally turned the corner on Spring and I want to have that car available to drive while I will get ready for some maintenance and upgrade jobs that I have been putting off for the LS. Those include; doing something about those squeaking bushings in the rear LCA's, installing the '00-02 Jaguar S-type Blistein's B4 shocks along the front Jaguar S-type V8 springs, installing the Gen I axles / differential along with the Eaton TruTrac Ford 8.8" 28-spline LSD that have all been sitting on the work bench for a quit while now, as well as the K&N #57-2562 cold air kit and those braided stainless steel brake lines that I didn't have time to install when I swapped in the Jaguar S-type Sport package 320mm front brakes.

Its a PITA when the job and the wife's "Honey Do" list gets in the way of quality time with the cars ;)

I talked to my local Jaguar dealer and priced out the OE springs for a 2002 4.0L S-Type about a year ago and was quoted $80.00 each.

I stopped by my local Jaguar "stealership" parts department this afternoon. They were able to confirm that the '00-02 Jaguar S-type 4.0L front spring for the base suspension was part number #XR811172 and that it had been in fact superseded by #XR835298. They also quoted me a non-discounted list price of $150 each.

I think I will buy a set of Suplex OE replacement springs off eBay for a whole lot less or due some more searching on-line because I will also at least need new lower spring pads/isolators #MJA2162AA as well.

I made the Koni suggestion because they're virtually the only thing for serious use---and they're re-buildable. Since EVERYTHING is changeable they can truly be tailored to your intended purpose.

KS

I made the Koni suggestion because they're virtually the only thing for serious use---and they're re-buildable. Since EVERYTHING is changeable they can truly be tailored to your intended purpose.

KS

Very true about the Konis. I had the yellow single adjustable sport inserts in factory housings on another car and they worked great - I loved them on that car. Their equivalent non-adjustable here with the LS would be the Bilstein B6 that happen to also be available for the '00-02 Jaguar S-type and will bolt right into the LS again using a front spring for the Jaguar.

With the LS, I am just trying to do a simple replacement of the factory Sport shocks that we can't buy/find any more. The Biltsein B4 look to be the next best option. All you have to do is switch out the front springs to make them work. That is fairly straight forward, simple and easier than working with inserts or a full coil over conversions.

All you have to do is switch out the front springs to make them work. That is fairly straight forward, simple and easier than working with inserts or a full coil over conversions.

So it's just the front coils that need to swapped out? I just assumed that the rears would be different too.

So it's just the front coils that need to swapped out? I just assumed that the rears would be different too.

From what I have read in those treads, it is just the front springs. Apparently Ford and Jaguar must have differed on the amount of clearance required from the lower spring perch to the inside tire sidewall / rims that was needed. Now if you are running rims that are much wider than the stock 7.5" rims, this could be of some concern.

From what I have read in those treads, it is just the front springs. Apparently Ford and Jaguar must have differed on the amount of clearance required from the lower spring perch to the inside tire sidewall / rims that was needed. Now if you are running rims that are much wider than the stock 7.5" rims, this could be of some concern.
Confused... A smaller diameter perch causes problems with clearance?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

"Instead of trying to do a Jag-LS cross-over, might it make sense to use something such as Koni double-adjustable coil-overs? In that way, EVERYTHING is 'choose-able' from spring rates to jounce-rebound. And everything is based on vehicle weight measured at each corner.

It's only necessary to create the mount points---easily done in a home garage with little more than hand tools.

KS"

To me that's with no doubt the way to go. Of course I don't care about ride comfort, all I'd want is less body roll, accurate steering response, and of course, a lower lap time at the end, nothing else.

Confused... A smaller diameter perch causes problems with clearance?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

After getting under there and looking at things again, it is not an issue with rim/tire width, they would contact the upright first. It may have more to do with what the different engineers were thinking is regards to clearance to the uni-body.

Has anyone attempted this yet?

I found where my "creaking" noise is coming from. The passenger rear spring is broken at the bottom where it's seated.
I was planning on doing the B4 conversion using S-Type front springs and keeping my stock rear springs, but it looks like I will be doing S-Type springs & shocks all the way around.
I hope the ride height isn't any higher than it is now.

I found where my "creaking" noise is coming from. The passenger rear spring is broken at the bottom where it's seated.

Interesting. The creaking noise is back on my car and even after shooting more grease into the zerks that I installed in the rear LCA outer joints, the noise is not diminishing. In fact the noise is getting so annoying that I am going to have to stop driving the car. I need to put it up jack stands, pull the rear tire, disconnect the shock and sway bar link end to find what exactly where the noise is going from. This is getting really frustrating and will get most likely very expensive to fix as well.

Have you checked the condition of your springs?

When my creaking first began last fall, it was minor and seemed intermittent. I checked about everything under there thinking it was a bushing, sway bar link, exhaust hanger, etc. but had no luck. I hadn't even considered that it might be the springs.

It's gotten worse as the weather has warmed and it groans, squeaks, and creaks with even the slightest irregularity in the pavement now. It is extremely annoying and downright embarrassing to drive the car through a parking lot.

I think I will hit it with some lubricant at the point where the two pieces of spring are rubbing against each other to quiet them down until I can get some replacement springs.

Have you checked the condition of your springs?

When my creaking first began last fall, it was minor and seemed intermittent. I checked about everything under there thinking it was a bushing, sway bar link, exhaust hanger, etc. but had no luck. I hadn't even considered that it might be the springs.

It's gotten worse as the weather has warmed and it groans, squeaks, and creaks with even the slightest irregularity in the pavement now. It is extremely annoying and downright embarrassing to drive the car through a parking lot.

I think I will hit it with some lubricant at the point where the two pieces of spring are rubbing against each other to quiet them down until I can get some replacement springs.

Sound just like mine. I got to the end of my street this morning and almost went back home to switch cars. Instead I rolled up the windows, turn on the a/c and turned up the stereo to drown out the noise. I may have to put her up on jack stands this evening.

The sounds from the rear suspension on the ride home this evening was like finger nails on a black board. I put the car on jack stands, pulled the wheel and removed the shock/spring assembly. I move the hub up and down and then disconnected the sway bar link and again move the hub up and down but still really didn't hear the squeaking noise. Okay, I got the spring compressors and disassembled the spring/shock assembly. No broken spring and the shock is aged but still somewhat workable after +52K miles. I then got very close and listened to all the joints on both the UCA and LCA as I moved the hub up and down. There it was (although very subdued) the squeaking noise and the feel of grinding from outer bushing in the LCA. The grease added via the zerk subdued the sound when the bushing was not under load from the weight of the car. A couple weeks ago I ordered new rear LCA's from Apple Ford Parts, so I swapped in the new driver's side unit.

Maybe I should have read the service manual first or maybe I should have not taken the shock/spring assembly apart, but these need to be assembly with a specific axially alignment so as to be re-installed in the car correctly. I wondered why the upper mount studs were being so difficult to get lined up with the holes in the uni-body. Luckily I noticed some wear marks on the shock body from the lower spring isolators and was able to put the spring compressors back on and got the darn thing aligned correctly. There has to be a better way when doing this with new parts.

Anyway, other than damaging the rusty rear sway bar link end boot seal, it all went back together easy enough. Reinstalled the wheel, drop it back on the ground and then sat my fat ass in the back seat and guess what... no more freaking squeaking!!!! Now I just need to order a new set of rear sway bar link ends, schedule my time so as to install the passenger rear LCA soon and get the car re-aligned.

I then got cleaned up, took the wife out to dinner and enjoyed the sounds of a silent rear suspension.

Wow, you did all of that work and still had enough time to take her to dinner? Impressive. :cool:

I'm glad you found your noise issue and were able to get it solved. Your description of the noises you were experiencing are so similar to mine; maybe my broken spring isn't the actual cause in my case. I just saw the break in the coil and assumed that was the cause. I just received the S-Type rear springs that I ordered and plan on changing them out this weekend.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will take care of my noise issues and I'm really curious to see if the ride height will be different with the S-Type springs.

Wow, you did all of that work and still had enough time to take her to dinner? Impressive. :cool:

Luckily the car has only been driven though two mid-west winters and only has 52K miles on the clock, so all the bolts/nuts came apart very easily. If I had not messed around with taking apart the shock/spring assembly, I could have easily had the job done in under two hours including clean up.

TMC induced squeak

Too Many Cheeseburgers !!!

I'm very interested in using Jag struts. Just like BCA, I have a sheared rear spring, it is broken right at the base and I believe it is what is causing that nails on chalkboard squeak. I am SO tempted to buy stance coil overs, but to get them to my door in Canada, I'm looking at roughly $1950 CAD. If the car wasn't a v6 I wouldn't hesitate.

Any updates from anyone? Ford will sell me a new spring for just over $350 each CAD lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back