'99 Continental Grille-Radiator Cold Weather Air Blocker (Shutter System)???

EbodyPro572

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 'new' 99 continental that is absolutely like new & pristine! I'm so happy! I previously owned a 99 continental BUT this one is absolutely gorgeous & I love it!!!
One 'option' it has is a radiator cold weather 'Air Shutter' system mounted directly in front of the radiator & directly behind the grille, so the car will reach operating temperature faster, I'm figuring.
I can't find any info on it in the owners manual, or on the internet, so I don't know if it's a factory OEM option or something 'aftermarket' added by the previous owner. Who knows? I sure don't!
There are NO dash controls or switches for it that I can find either, soit papers to operate automatically depending on the outside temp.
If anyone knows of this 'option' I'd appreciate your input. I'm eager to find out more about it! THANKS, Scott in McCormick, SC. (Scottsgretch2002@gmail.com)

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you have found a real Gem! Post some pics of the car if you can. Also post some pics of the cold weather air shutters that you have on the car. It will give me and others a good point of view to better explain.

Also follow my '99 Continental Refurbishment/Resto thread, and DIY's for doing maintenance it should help you some. Very knowledgeable people on this forum they will help you their great.

-Take care!

Some PICS of my 'NEW' '99!

Here's some shots. Car is immaculate, 106k miles, not a blemish, all original! Loved it!
The 'Air Blocker' or Shutter is directly behind the grille between it and the radiator, just one flap that raises up & down on a hinged bracket. It's 'white' too. I'll try to get a PIC taken thru the front of the grille.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ha! LOOKS LIKE MY CAR is sitting in your driveway!!! :rolleyes:

THANK YOU so much! I absolutely loved it! At 67 (68 next month) and retired I only owned ONE Continental ('99 also) before & that was about 3 years ago ONLY because my grandson was looking for a car & I found a 1-owner FOR HIM. Lo & behold, he said...'GrandPa, that's an old person's car and a gas hog!......so, I kept it & found him a 4-doorSebring....yuk! BEST THING I EVER DID!!! I got hooked on it.....and it took me til I was within one year of retiring to realize what a GREAT car these are! Hence, my 2nd one now & I'm screaming with shear enjoyment!
I also have my '39 Ford coupe Street Rod & my '73 Challenger w/572" Hemi. I will be buried sitting up in driver's seat IN the Lincoln with the '39 & '73 on either side of my plot, Ha!

Help identify it, Please! Who makes it? OEM or Aftermarket???

image.jpg You can see part of white housing that 'air blocker' is attached to under the yellow hood latch lever.

image.jpgI was able to take some PICS of the 'radiator air blocker' behind the front grille. It's tuff to see but here's some photos.

View attachment 828476578 Another shot behind the right side (driver side) of grille.

There are electrical supply connectors at the air blocker mechanism behind the grille.

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN THIS THING.?? Can you identify what it is actually called???

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ha! LOOKS LIKE MY CAR is sitting in your driveway!!! :rolleyes:

THANK YOU so much! I absolutely loved it! At 67 (68 next month) and retired I only owned ONE Continental ('99 also) before & that was about 3 years ago ONLY because my grandson was looking for a car & I found a 1-owner FOR HIM. Lo & behold, he said...'GrandPa, that's an old person's car and a gas hog!......so, I kept it & found him a 4-doorSebring....yuk! BEST THING I EVER DID!!! I got hooked on it.....and it took me til I was within one year of retiring to realize what a GREAT car these are! Hence, my 2nd one now & I'm screaming with shear enjoyment!
I also have my '39 Ford coupe Street Rod & my '73 Challenger w/572" Hemi. I will be buried sitting up in driver's seat IN the Lincoln with the '39 & '73 on either side of my plot, Ha!

LOl! It does!, I'm 33 and love the Lincolns old and new. These are not an old persons' car I can tell you right now. Everybody wants one of those 6 or 4 bangers with turbos nothing wrong with that but those are gas hogs too. Your other cars in your collection sound awesome, that '39 coupe sounds like a Tim Allen car with a lot of power! Bet that Challenger runs like a raped ape with that 572!!!!!

Center shot!View attachment 828476582View attachment 828476583

What's it called & who manufactured it???

I have never seen anything like this on these cars before. So this is a first for me. I think its aftermarket it looks like it, it would increase the pressure in front of the radiator for cooling capacity is what it looks like its doing. How is your MPG's? This should have a little to do with it. It looks like it was made for the car. I even looked over my workshop repair manual I did not find anything based on this being factory. Hope this helps! Whoever fabbed this up did a good job.

I've placed a link to a Mazda forum for you to read about this air flow increase that this device provides.

Svets96, thanks for the link. My trip up to Charlotte & back yielded me 27.7 mpg which outperforms my other 'old' '99 that got 25.2 hwy. The car had a fresh oil change when I got it, but will switch to synthetic like my other cars @ next oil change. Maybe it will go up even further!

I'm gonna hit the Lincoln dealership next chance I get to see if a tech can IDENTIFY that funky thing behind my grille as OEM? We'll see!

Thanks everyone too for helping me try to figure out who manufactured this radiator gizmo! Scott in SC.

Members online

Back