2014 hybrid Z. Center console going nuts

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Radio volume going up/down by itself. Drives me crazy driving the car. I did set a max vol with myKey cause once it went up to the real max vol and nearly blew my ears out. So on a day when I'm lucky it works as designed. Most days it's nutty. I heard there's a place that fixes these things cause Ford says .... you and has no more of these. So does anyone here know who I can contact to get this fixed? TIA.

There were some radio/electronics repair places around years ago, but I imagine that since everything has gotten so complex with info-tainment systems, most won't touch them.

You might want to see if there is a VIN range the dealer can give you. Then go to salvage yards and find a wrecked vehicle that has the same radio.

Does this have a physical volume knob... or buttons, or is it a touch screen? If this is a touch screen, try some Windex.

If knob or buttons... buy some De-oxit Gold contact cleaner from Crutchfield, and spray it in behind the knob and/or buttons.

Now that I said that... Crutchfield may know of some places that still do radio repair on modern electronics.

Last edited:
Has troubleshooting been done to determine that the problem is in the radio, as opposed to the steering wheel controls? Does this model also have rear seat radio controls?

Has troubleshooting been done to determine that the problem is in the radio, as opposed to the steering wheel controls? Does this model also have rear seat radio controls?
Thanks, Joegr and 04 LS. It's not just the radio. Far less frequently the HVAC controls go dead. The vol control is a slider - fixed bar that finger slides on to move vol up/down. There are steering wheel controls for radio but not for HVAC. Seems to eliminate clockspring. Rear seat has only buttons for seat heaters. I did some searching for the part and there's several diff ones depending on optional equip. Mine has all options and that's rare. Does say Toyota discontinue parts leaving owners of a car in the ditch like Ford does?

That depends on the parts agreement they have, which seems to be 10 years now. After 10 years, the aftermarket parts manufacturers get the blueprints.

It used to be 20 years before OEM parts went obsolete. I found that out 10 years ago. :rolleyes::(

... Does say Toyota discontinue parts leaving owners of a car in the ditch like Ford does?
Yes, they are all pretty much the same on this.
If demand is high enough, then the aftermarket jumps in. If it's not, then that's that.

This is an even bigger problem for electric cars.

Yes, they are all pretty much the same on this.
If demand is high enough, then the aftermarket jumps in. If it's not, then that's that.

This is an even bigger problem for electric cars.
Yes I thought it was 10 years. But this car is only 9 years old and lotta stuff discontinued. :( I don't think I'll ever have to worry about problems with EVs. Though gas prices!!!! Reg is $5.49 here. :(

Here's what the thing looks like. But this one has only one switch on the right hand side. Mine has 3. Those 2 chrome lines are the radio vol and fan controls.

mkZ_1069_3516048_01_web.jpg

Yeah that pic is from a boneyard. But it wont be easy cause there are half dozen different ones. :(

I might be able to just get the module on the back side. I think FCIM.

Here's litle diag from ford service CD. Upper rt hand shows backside with a couple of modules.

BUT even if i get the thing, i need to program it. Scan tool. Ugh. Hope I dont need to go to a dealer.

SDW~us~en~file=E159101_EUR_580_JPG~gen~ref.JPG

Okay, so you have the capacitive touch sliders. Try cleaning the touch part, and the PCB behind it with isopropyl alcohol. Any residue at all from any common cleaners can cause the symptoms that you have.

Okay, so you have the capacitive touch sliders. Try cleaning the touch part, and the PCB behind it with isopropyl alcohol. Any residue at all from any common cleaners can cause the symptoms that you have.
Thanks I will try that. Gotta have some time cause dont think I can drive the car at all with that out. The unit has never been pulled out. We've had the car since 2015. Bought from dealer. Was an exec car. Got the 100,000 mile warrantee. Ran absolutely perfectly while wife was using as a daily driver. 20,000 to 160,000 miles. Then she decided she needed a truck so she bought a hybrid Maverick and I'm driving this cause gas is made of gold and my LS rarely exceeds 20 mpg. Neither does my Navigator!

Members online

Back