2002 ls won't start after accident. PATS?

Rob4407

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was in a car accident and there's front end damage but the car drove fine. I put 300 miles on after the accident no problems. Then my alarm randomly started going off even while driving. I turned it off and now the security red light just flashes no crank. I only have one key for the car too. So is there a way to reset the pats? I just dont understand why it's now acting up after being driven so much. No airbags deployed.

Welcome aboard to LVC. There could be a lot of reasons here. Is your engine cranking?

There's no crank at all from the starter as if its not getting any power. I heard I might need a commercial grade scanner to take it out of lock out mode.

It sounds like you damaged the wiring bundle at the front passenger side of the car.
First things first, give your battery a good charge, it sounds like it may be low (because of the alarm going off while driving).

After that, turn the key to run and wait for the rapid flashing of the PATS light to change. When it does, it will flash out a two digit code. This code will give a good clue as to what the problem is. (I'd almost bet on 16, communications to the PCM lost - because the PCM may not be getting power now.)

There was a blown fuse in the box under the hood I replaced it and none of the fuses are getting power in that box. The battery is full but I have very limited money, tools, and time. I'm currently stranded actually. I dont have any friends or family really that can help so I gotta fix this on my own. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with detroit but I'm stranded in Mexican town, which is a pretty rough area near a vacant house I was doing work on.

There was a blown fuse in the box under the hood I replaced it and none of the fuses are getting power in that box. The battery is full but I have very limited money, tools, and time. I'm currently stranded actually. I dont have any friends or family really that can help so I gotta fix this on my own. Not sure if anyone here is familiar with detroit but I'm stranded in Mexican town, which is a pretty rough area near a vacant house I was doing work on.

Time for a flatbed tow truck......

I dont really have the funds to tow it all the way home 60 miles. I'm going to attempt putting a Manuel switch in to power the fuel pump and also a jumper for the starter just to get it home. I've done this in a grand Cherokee before I hope its similar in this thing. The PATS will prevent the fuel pump from turning on right?

I dont really have the funds to tow it all the way home 60 miles. I'm going to attempt putting a Manuel switch in to power the fuel pump and also a jumper for the starter just to get it home. I've done this in a grand Cherokee before I hope its similar in this thing. The PATS will prevent the fuel pump from turning on right?

That won't work on this car, and you may damage the REM, something you surely don't have money for. It's not going anywhere at all without power to that front fuse box!

I dont see any damage to the wires or anything. The damage was on the drivers fender. I should be getting power to something in the box right?

Ok just found the problem!The entire wire harness in th e drivers wheel well rubbed against the tire and is mangled. I'm going to go buy a butane solder gun and some wire and go to town! Hope after this works

Make sure to disconnect the battery first! Hope you have enough experience to join wires with solder as it can be a pain without flux some times. You can always join them and use black tape until you get a proper fix.

Make sure to disconnect the battery first! Hope you have enough experience to join wires with solder as it can be a pain without flux some times. You can always join them and use black tape until you get a proper fix.

This is what I'd do, then do the correct repair job in the safety of not Detroit. It's easier to make sure the wires are being soldered correctly when you don't have to worry about a brick upside the head.

Actually I'd find a way to get that flatbed towtruck.

Ok so I joined all the wires and still the blinking lights code 16. The starter doesnt even attempt to crank still. I found some nice people that allowed me to stay with them now I need to fix this tomorrow. Do I need a scan tool to clear everything

wow looks like you struck luck for the night, anyway, do you have power to the fuse box now? After researching through the forums, PATS code 16 refers to (quoting from joegr) "Code 16 indicates a communications issue between the cluster (where the PATS function is) and the PCM. The few cases of it that I have heard of worked out to be a bad PCM relay or corroded relay socket. I'd start by checking the relays. "

Being that the wires were exposed to one another and having a blown fuse, I wouldn't be surprised if a relay or two is burned. Also check that diode outlined in the diagram and all other fuses and relays in there. Hopefully there lies your solution. Best of luck!

Here's a diagram to help you pinpoint the relay(s).
2002-Lincoln-LS-V8-Fuse-Box-Diagram.jpg

Reference to joegr's quote: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?71331-PATS-light

2002-Lincoln-LS-V8-Fuse-Box-Diagram.jpg

This guy at a shop is telling me I need to have it towed to him so that he can access it with a $10,30002 scan tool and turn off the security system because it was triggered and now that the wires are fixed its what's keeping the starter and stuff from getting power

This guy at a shop is telling me I need to have it towed to him so that he can access it with a $10,30002 scan tool and turn off the security system because it was triggered and now that the wires are fixed its what's keeping the starter and stuff from getting power

Get a new "guy." The PATS does not lock any conditions. As soon as you fix the problem, it works again. The only way you could get locked out would be if you changed out the PCM or the cluster. Even then, you would get a different code than "16." I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about, or he is out to rip you off.

Have you done and simple diagnostic steps, like verifying that there is power at the PCM?

Ok I have the battery charging. So once I get power to the pcm it should start? I dont understand why the pats light was still flashing after I fixed the wires. Is there anything else that could cause the pats to activate? The tow to my house is $200

Code 16 means that the cluster can't communicate with the PCM. Either there's a bad data wire connection, or (more likely) the PCM isn't getting power.

So what could cause the pcm from getting power? There's no power to any of the fuses under the hood. There was a blown one before I fixed the wires damaged from the accident. Now I can hear and feel the relay for the starter clicking.

So what could cause the pcm from getting power? There's no power to any of the fuses under the hood. ...

Wow, we're just not communicating here.
The PCM is not getting power because the fuse box under the hood isn't getting power. It's as simple as that. Power to the fuse box under the hood runs from the battery, through a mega-fuse, and then straight to the under hood box. There are no switches or relays controlling that. If you knew there was no power at the fuse box, why were you asking about anything else?

It's pretty simple. The mega-fuse is blown and/or the wire is cut.

So what could cause the pcm from getting power? There's no power to any of the fuses under the hood.

I always love when a question is asked and then answered in the very next sentence...

Rob - you wrecked your car. You have already found damaged wiring. A person who is very knowledgeable about the car has told you that you still have an open circuit in the wiring. The same person has told you that the PATS is telling you that you still have an open circuit in the wiring. Even you said you have an open circuit in the wiring when you said
There's no power to any of the fuses under the hood.
Find the open circuit in the wiring. Fix the open circuit in the wiring.

Members online

Back