1997 Continental strange transmission problem

gere007

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1997 Continental with a strange transmission problem. Start it up, put it in gear and it does fine for a few minutes. It even shifts gears (I get it up to third on my driveway without taking it out on the road). Then I come to a stop and it's like the transmission is in neutral. No forward, no reverse. Here's the strange thing, I shut off the engine, immediately start it back up and the car goes into gear and takes off again. I thought the filter/pickup tube may have fallen off into the bottom of the transmission pan, so I took off the pan and indeed it had fallen off. I replaced it, but the problem is still there. I wonder if this might be a computer problem. Anyone ever heard of this?

im having a similar problem where if i drive it will go into first gear but it clunks noticably hard. then after that if i give it gas, nothing. But it does reverse fine, never had a problem with that. This started all of a sudden on me.. I wish we could get some help

I am having the same problem did u get a answer or a solution for the problem?? Mine acts the exact same way. It makes a noise when it is not going to move like something is loose then shut it off and put it in gear and it moves fine for a few then the noise comes back and yes it does not move .Can any one help please it is a 1997 continental

Last edited:
I am having the same problem did u get a answer or a solution for the problem?? Mine acts the exact same way. It makes a noise when it is not going to move like something is loose then shut it off,start it up and put it in gear and it moves fine for a few then the noise comes back and yes it does not move .Can any one help please it is a 1997 continental

Members online

No members online now.
Back