Rear shock mounts (upper)

Wondering what you guys think about the Tokico HP blue shocks? From what I found on line, Tokico made the original shocks for the M8, is that correct?
I would think the Blisten's or Koni's are the best? With me being so meticulous, I missed out on the Koni's (PenGun) and have looked in the Koni's for the Mustang Cobra w/IRS. From researching, I found that the Thunderbird Koni's dampening is better suited for the M8 than that of Mustang? And that there are different models for the convertible vs. hard top. Seems to be a bit of debate of which is firmer?

You seemed to think I was ripping you off. This place has gotten strange. The ones I sold were the Koni T Bird adjustable shocks. The right ones.

You seemed to think I was ripping you off. This place has gotten strange. The ones I sold were the Koni T Bird adjustable shocks. The right ones.

Hey PenGun, not at all. When I'm looking into something new to me (rear shocks in this case), I like to be very thorough. I want my M8 to handle the best she can. I knew yours were for the T-bird and the correct ones. Never stated they weren't and only looking into the Corbra's as a 2nd option, since I can't find the T-bird Koni's. When I thought I found new ones, I was considering taking that route only because when I looked at your pics on my PC it looked like the shocks had rust, which wasn't the case. My PC is old and I should replace it.

Wondering what you guys think about the Tokico HP blue shocks? From what I found on line, Tokico made the original shocks for the M8, is that correct?
I would think the Blisten's or Koni's are the best? With me being so meticulous, I missed out on the Koni's (PenGun) and have looked in the Koni's for the Mustang Cobra w/IRS. From researching, I found that the Thunderbird Koni's dampening is better suited for the M8 than that of Mustang? And that there are different models for the convertible vs. hard top. Seems to be a bit of debate of which is firmer?

Hey guys what are you opinions on the above?

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone have the Tokico HP blue shocks? From what I found on line, Tokico made the original shocks for the M8, is that correct?
I would think the Blisten's or Koni's are the best? Does anyone have Koni's for the 99 - 04 Mustang Cobra w/IRS? From researching, I found that the Thunderbird Koni's dampening is better suited for the M8 than that of Mustang? And that there are different models for the convertible vs. hard top. Seems to be a bit of debate of which is firmer?
Still trying to nail down what is best to purchase with me missing out on the Thunderbird shocks above, now sold.

i bought my 96 with tokico blues.
one rear was leaking and the other was meh.
front seemed ok.
no idea on mileage.

google has shown me that blues have a habit of living a short life across many platforms.
but they might still be your best option for the front.

i bought my 96 with tokico blues.
one rear was leaking and the other was meh.
front seemed ok.
no idea on mileage.

google has shown me that blues have a habit of living a short life across many platforms.
but they might still be your best option for the front.
Thanks Chris!
Only looking for the rear shocks. So its true - Tokico made the original air shock?

that i couldn't tell you.
but the mn12 had adjustable tokico illumina 2s, so its not out of the question.
That is true, made them for the Thunderbird Super Coupe (mn12) and the Turbo Coupe before it. The Program Ride Control is amazing to this day - very few suspensions made by any manufacturer, set shock damping from current lateral G-forces, throttle acceleration percentage, braking pressure and vehicle speed. The driver can also select a "firm" mode for sport driving or "normal" mode for day to day driving for more comfort.

I like this so much in the Turbo Coupe, was thinking of a way to make the Koni's driver adjustable by pressing a button or switch like the ASHAM 8. Do you think anyone would be interested in this? How sweet would it be to adjust the Koni's damping for current road conditions or your driving mood, by pressing a switch?

That is true, made them for the Thunderbird Super Coupe (mn12) and the Turbo Coupe before it. The Program Ride Control is amazing to this day - very few suspensions made by any manufacturer, set shock damping from current lateral G-forces, throttle acceleration percentage, braking pressure and vehicle speed. The driver can also select a "firm" mode for sport driving or "normal" mode for day to day driving for more comfort.

I like this so much in the Turbo Coupe, was thinking of a way to make the Koni's driver adjustable by pressing a button or switch like the ASHAM 8. Do you think anyone would be interested in this? How sweet would it be to adjust the Koni's damping for current road conditions or your driving mood, by pressing a switch?

You'll need a couple of cheap steppers, and to hack up some Arduino scripts. It would actually be pretty easy.

EDIT: So a couple of these, should be enough torque:
JKM NEMA17 1.8°42 Hybrid Stepper Motor Two Phase 40MM/48MM

A controller or two:
2Pcs L298N Dual H-Bridge Stepper Motor Driver Board For Arduino

I think an Uno should do the trick:
Arduino Uno - R3 - DEV-11021 - SparkFun Electronics

One of the reasons I'm selling my Mark, apart from the shelter collapse, is to get into multicopters, both flying them and building them. This has led me into moderately serious electronics capability and even some knowledge.

A vid of experts at play:

Last edited:
You'll need a couple of cheap steppers, and to hack up some Arduino scripts. It would actually be pretty easy.

EDIT: So a couple of these, should be enough torque:
JKM NEMA17 1.8°42 Hybrid Stepper Motor Two Phase 40MM/48MM

A controller or two:
2Pcs L298N Dual H-Bridge Stepper Motor Driver Board For Arduino

I think an Uno should do the trick:
Arduino Uno - R3 - DEV-11021 - SparkFun Electronics

One of the reasons I'm selling my Mark, apart from the shelter collapse, is to get into multicopters, both flying them and building them. This has led me into moderately serious electronics capability and even some knowledge.

A vid of experts at play:

Thanks PenGun! Greatly Appreciate you taking the time! Very kind of you!! I think it would be a lot of trial and experimenting to get them set up. However, well worth the effort and time, for me.

I wonder if there would be enough interest from those with Koni adjustable shocks?

Thanks PenGun! Greatly Appreciate you taking the time! Very kind of you!! I think it would be a lot of trial and experimenting to get them set up. However, well worth the effort and time, for me.

I wonder if there would be enough interest from those with Koni adjustable shocks?

Oh and I bought one of these, just now, because they are so cheap ;)

KT003 Arduino UNO Starter Kit with Bread Plate / Sensor / LED Light for DIY Parts-20.41 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

A good way to get started, and you get a breadboard to build on to get everything right. It's not a real Arduino, from Italy, but no one cares, because it's all open source.

There's a lot of help on youtube university you know:

arduino control stepper motor - YouTube

Last edited:
Oh and I bought one of these, just now, because they are so cheap ;)

KT003 Arduino UNO Starter Kit with Bread Plate / Sensor / LED Light for DIY Parts-20.41 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

A good way to get started, and you get a breadboard to build on to get everything right. It's not a real Arduino, from Italy, but no one cares, because it's all open source.

There's a lot of help on youtube university you know:

arduino control stepper motor - YouTube
Thanks again PenGun! I've got to find the shocks first and not having an easy time finding T-Bird Koni's shocks.

While searching for Koni's, I found Tokico Illumina Electronically Adjustable Shock for the Super Coupes. They had a driver adjustable suspension. Maybe an alternative? These shocks I found have 5 positions from soft to firm. They say "electronically adjustable" and wonder if these are plug and play for the SC? I've asked seller to confirm, but think they have to be manually adjusted.

If they are electronically controlled, using the stock actuators (motor that switches from firm to soft or vs versa) would be easiest, if they fit or could be modded. The SC's only had soft or firm settings, thus the 5 different settings wouldn't work unless it went from 1 on soft to 5 for firm - I think this is a bit of reach though!

Also been looking at 99 -03 Cobra shocks.

Anyone have KYB AGX Sport Adjustable Shocks (743021). if so, any good ?

Last edited:
So no has KYB AGX Sport Adjustable Shocks (743021) for the 99 - 03 Cobra?

The seller of the Tokico Illumina Electronically Adjustable Shock -Rear-for 89-95 Ford Thunderbird, got back to me and said that Tokico confirmed they would work with the SC T-Bird stock suspension. Thus quickest to buy these with the SC actuators and wire in a switch for soft and firm. I'm not sure it's worth it without having the front done?

I have already spoke to some here, saying it wasn't worth it to put the 93's adjustable shocks on. These were to reduce nose dipping under heaving breaking. My goal is to have a switch that I can control soft to firm depending on road conditions and driving mood. With out having the front on the same switch, having all 4 shocks with the same dampening at the same time, not sure it would give me the outcome I'm looking for?

yeah even ford gave up on them after a little more than a year.
Thanks Chris,

I know they stopped production, but have a hard time believing it - Ford used these in the Thunderbird Turbo and Super Coupes. I know firsthand that the Turbo handles amazing 25+ years later and have heard that the Super Coupes also handles amazing, although I didn't own a SC to compare to the Turbo.
The Turbo handled so well, that I bought an extra set to install into our M7.
Maybe Ford was too concerned about the dipping vs. focusing on the handling, when the designed the M8 system.

Maybe Ford was too concerned about the dipping vs. focusing on the handling, when the designed the M8 system.

yes.
also, most everything from the spring rates to ride heights to sway bars is different on a super coupe.
different design philosophy.

yes.
also, most everything from the spring rates to ride heights to sway bars is different on a super coupe.
different design philosophy
Yes, I can't do much about the spring rates, with the Air bags, unless I went to a coil-over shock. I think the stiffer adjustable shock would solve that though.
I'm still tempted to try these electronic adjustable Tokica's. Best price I've found is on ebay for $133. The Blisteins are $111, so for $22 more a shock USD, then two SC actuators (I think the M8 and SC actuators are the same), maybe even the TC actuators are the same, easy to confirm they work anyway. Then a switch to activate actuators. I will have to check the wiring diagram to see what makes them move from soft to firm and replicate it. Might be easier to get the ARC (Adjustable Ride Control) module and wire it in.
Just trying to sort the front adjustable dampening. The SC front Tokica looks like you could almost add the air bag to it...well from this pic anyway.

That's what I like about the M7. The air bags and shocks are separate. Not one complete unit as the front shocks in the M8. Piece of cake to install TC PRC (Programmed Ride Control) into a M7. Then have the best of both worlds. A sweet soft ride and a firm mode for sport driving at the touch of a button.

0000221_tokico-electronic-adjustable-shocks-for-factory-arc-system-set-of-four_300.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I can't do much about the spring rates, with the Air bags, unless I went to a coil-over shock.

changing the pressure of the bag (ie, height of the car) will change the effective spring rate of the bag.

I think the M8 and SC actuators are the same

they are.

The SC front Tokica looks like you could almost add the air bag to it.

i've seen Koni adjustable inserts done, but not Tokico.

Thanks Chris! So you are saying that the air bag was added to the Koni adjustables (yellow front shocks)?

I received an update from the seller. Tokico is making it easier for me to decide. Apparently the actuators come with the adjustable shock and it is plug and play for the SC's. So I would only need to wire in a switch and apply correct voltage. If it was more than that, I would just get the ARC module, wire it to the ignition and then the M8 would be plug and play. See below from the seller:

Just spoke to Tokico to confirm it's plug an play. Just unplug the lead from the harness and plug this one in.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! So you are saying that the air bag was added to the Koni adjustables (yellow front shocks)?

yes, it was an involved process to remove the old shock insert and insert the new one into the assembly.
the last of inserts sold out years ago. i remember when the last few got sold.

Thanks Chris,

So the M8 air shock insert was removed and the Koni insert put in its place? Wow, I would have thought it be easier to add the air bag to the Koni.

Thanks Chris,

So the M8 air shock insert was removed and the Koni insert put in its place? Wow, I would have thought it be easier to add the air bag to the Koni.
I did it. It really wasn't that hard, but it was more involved than most projects. For instance, it was really helpful for me to have access to a lathe and Tig welder.

Members online

No members online now.
Back