Power Steering

ssmoparviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I looked around and could not find my answer so Im asking the masses.

So the story goes yesterday Im driving home from work and the LS is running fine, steering great. This morning I got in it to leave for would and as I back out of the driveway it felt like I had absolutely little to no power steering. I pulled back in the driveway and checked my fluid and it was fine so I continued on. Once I got up to speed say around 45 50 it felt somewhat normal. Any ideas on what could cause this? Any input would help.

Thanks in advance

Bad rack.
Bad pressure control solenoid valve.
Bad FEM.
Wiring.
Bad U-joint(s) on intermediate shaft.
Bad pump.
Clogged inlet on reservoir.

Bad rack.
Bad pressure control solenoid valve.
Bad FEM.
Wiring.
Bad U-joint(s) on intermediate shaft.
Bad pump.
Clogged inlet on reservoir.

Ouch that sucks... I will start with the reservoir since the fluid is really black.

Had the same problem you have..mine was the power steering pump. Although you should hear some noise or something when you turn if I remember. My fluid never went below max either. Lucky if it's not that though..horrible to do unless you have tiny hands.

I had that exact thing happen to me with my 2001 LS. It was intermittent at times, but always noticed some movement of fluid in the reservoir. I replaced the rack and the problem was resolved. I got the rack from Detroit Axle, which came with new inner ties rods and teflon seals for the power steering hoses and return shipping label.

Hi, this actually happened to my 04' about two weeks ago.

Once again its the problem with these small parts being made out of plastic and not metal or something more substantial.
the steering pump cracked and had a leak. I bought some power steering fluid, filled it up and drove to my local mechanic shop.

all and all the part cost me around 50 bucks and labour cost around 75-100. grand total of $150

Hope this was helpful.

Well, at that price, it wasn't the power steering pump.
It was most likely the pressure (boost) switch which is in some cases bolted to the power steering pump (in other cases it is in the middle of the high pressure hose).

Still cant nail it down... It looks like I will have to take it to my buddy who is a mechanic and have him diagnose it. UGH!

Members online

No members online now.
Back